genie12

Default Alban and Christiana Lewis

I have a subscription with FMP and have been trying to find the above couple in the registers and have had no luck. Will they be in the registers because they are servants?
    Christiana in 1901 ST JOHN STREET , ST SEPULCHRE,London and her husband isn't there,and in 1911 82 Great College St Camden Town N W.St Pancras.London with husband. She is a servant.

Brick wall demolition expert!

They won't be in the electoral registers until:
    1918 for the husband
    and depending upon her age, not before 1928 for Christiana.

If you do an internet search for "Representation of the People Act 1918", that should give you more details about who could vote when.

genie12

Alban died in 1933 in Brentford and Christiana died in 1930 in Hackney.

janbooth

Both Alban & Christiana Truan LEWIS are in the Electoral Registers of Hackney in 1918 (source Ancestry's London Electoral Registers) as follows:

1918 19 Gainsborough Road Alban Evan LEWIS, 18 Gainsborough Road Christiana Truan LEWIS
    1919 18 or 19 Gainsborough Road Christiana Truan LEWIS - no sign of husband Alban.

Christiana remains at 19 Gainsborough Road up to and including the 1928 Electoral Register but again not with husband Alban.

Alban LEWIS can be found in the 1910 Electoral Register of St Pancras living at 101 Gt College Street which more or less ties in with the 1911 census record for himself and Christiana Truan. Alban Evan LEWIS is shown as a Grocer in the 1911 census however, not a Servant.

Janet

genie12

Thank-you for the information.I don't know why I couldn't find her on FMP.
    I received Christiana's death certiicate today and she died July 1930 and was a widow,so I don't know where I got the information from that Alban died in 1933. Will look for his death year and qtr now.

Reputation beyond repute

I don't know why I couldn't find her on FMP.
    The simple reason is that Ancestry, not FMP, got the contract for putting the London Metropolitan Archives' collection online. This includes the London electoral registers.

FMP won the contract to digitise the British Library's collection of electoral registers which they seem to have approached in a half hearted manner (it took years for anything at all to appear).

You need to think in terms of where the original data is. LMA have a good collection of London registers. The British Library's holdings are pretty well complete only from 1947 and holdings for earlier dates are fairly patchy.

In general, if you poke around the web site of the repository where you reckon the originals are, you'll probably find advice about where to find the data online.

janbooth

Perhaps a possibility for the death of your Alban. Death registration March qtr 1919 at Hackney reg district for an Alban E LEWES, aged 54. Correct area and fits in with the fact that your Alban does not appear in the Electoral registers after 1918.

Janet

genie12

Thanks for the reply.
    I bought Christiana's death certificate because she is the tree that I am interested in but I won't be buying Alban's death certificate. I just wanted his ddeath year to finish that branch.