Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Parish records 1813+ St Mary Rotherhithe

I note on the website I am subscribed too that their records for the above and St Mary Magdeline only go up to 1812 and am looking for records beyond this date either CD or another website. Can anyone help please

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

Hallo Warncoort good to hear from you Thank you for this I just need to find the burials if possible

Reputation beyond repute

Where are you looking? Ancestry have most London parish registers including St Mary, Rotherhithe burial registers 1813 onwards.

Hi Peter I can find burial records for St Mary Magdeline Bermondsey to 1823 but want burials beyond this. I have looked for St Mary Rotherhithe but can still only find up to 1812 I will look again. Thank you for your information and apologise for the delay in replying.

Thank you for your post Peter I have been back into the records and after a bit of difficulty found details up to 1823 so at the moment I will research these 2 lots parish registers to build up my tree.

Reputation beyond repute

Jane

I don't know why you're having so much trouble..

Go to the main search page for "London, England, Church of England Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980". If you're using this a lot, make sure you've bookmarked it.

On the right hand side of the page there is the option "Browse this collection". Enter Borough = Southwark; Parish = St Mary, Rotherhithe and finally select the year from the drop down list.

There is an unbroken run up to 1855 (see the Metropolitan Burials Act)

Thank you Peter I will do as advised and I have book marked quite a bit already

Dundee10

Just adding that these records have been very poorly indexed on Ancestry. Many of the original entries record the deceased in the name column as wife/son/daughter of someone and they have not actually indexed the name of the person who died only the name of the husband or father. There are no surnames indexed for many of these entries. Makes you wonder what they were thinking.

janbooth

Or not thinking as the case might be! Just shows how important it is to scroll through the original documents rather than rely on website transcriptions. The number of times I have found ancestors in the actual parish register images that do not appear in the search results and in many instances the writing is relatively easy to read. Admittedly in some cases the records are barely legible but this does seem to be the exception rather than the rule. Having said all that, the ability to look through so many actual parish records in the comfort of your own home and with no time constraints is fantastic!

Janet
    Last edited by janbooth; 09-04-2016 at 9:34 AM. Reason: Altered text