Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ashford Schools

Starting to feel at home

Default Ashford Schools

Hi, I discovered that 3 relatives were discharged from Fulham workhouse on the Fulham Road in London in 1918. They had been in the workhouse for one week.
    They were 3 boys aged 11,9 & 6.
    In a note beside their names it says "to Ashford Schools"
    I have looked extensively and while I can find mention of schools in Ashford I can't find much in relation to schools that take in children from workhouses and can't find anything at all about such a school in Ashford.
    Can anyone point me in the right direction?
    Thanks in advance.

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

There seems to be information here - https://www.workhouses.org.uk/WestLondonSD/ - that refers to Ashford Schools as part of the workhouse system. Is this any help?

Cheers, MTS

Starting to feel at home

That's fantastic! Thank you MTS

Reputation beyond repute

There are various registers of children in schools and institutions in the Fulham Board of Guardians (FBG) series at London Metropolitan Archives. The catalogue is online.

A few, but by no means all, are online via Ancestry.

Starting to feel at home

Thank you so much Peter, I have access to Ancestry but cannot find these records, I will have a look at the London Metropolitan Archives as you suggest. Many thanks again.

Valued member of Brit-Gen emmteeyess's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Lornagh View Post
    Thank you so much Peter, I have access to Ancestry but cannot find these records, .
    The page link I gave above has a direct link to the Ancestry records, underneath the last picture - that might get you in.
    It took me to a search page requiring names.

If you still can't find them why not put the names up on here - I'm sure we'll give it a go for you!

Cheers, MTS

Reputation beyond repute

Ancestry have only indexed the admission and discharge registers. I gather the questioner has this information.

Looking more closely at the catalogue, the only relevant files I can spot are:

1911-1920 Register of cases of children and adults in institutions and schools FBG/119/002
    1920-1926 Register of cases of children and adults in institutions and schools FBG/119/003

I don't see these on Ancestry but quite frankly I doubt if they are going to add very much to what you already know.

One file that might be relevant (it depends what you know about their later lives) is

1829-1930 Indentures of apprenticeship FBG/109 FBG

thewideeyedowl

Default Industrial Schools

Hi and a very warm welcome....

There is quite a bit of info about Industrial Schools on this website:
    https://www.
    childrenscottagehomes.org.uk/industrial_school.html

There is a lot of advertising there, so you will have to re-construct the link. The website is run by a social history researcher with an interest in institutions, orphanages and the like for poor children c. late 19th century - mid 20th century. Click around the site for background etc; the site also includes an online Message Board, lots of links, info about accessing records [= difficult!], and a number of photographs.

Children sent to an Industrial School were prepared for a useful trade, so do you know what jobs these three youngsters eventually did? By the middle years of the 20th century this type of school was re-labelled 'Approved School' - you have probably heard that term?

Swooping off now.

Owl

thewideeyedowl

Default More resources

The National Archives (TNA) has an excellent resource on Edwardian education, and it features Industrial Schools:
    https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/e...e-were-taught/
    These pages are intended as lesson/teaching resource and you can download the lesson as a .pdf. When you click on Source 1 etc you get to an enlarged photograph and lots of info.

You can find out about the Elementary Education (Industrial Schools) Act 1879 here: https://www.educationengland.org.uk/d...hools-act.html
    That gives a summary, with a link to the full Act in .pdf format.

Happy reading!

Owl

Reputation beyond repute

The Ashford School to which the children were sent was a workhouse (poor law) school. It was not an industrial school.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast