Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Lighterman records 1740-1800

I am making my first tentative steps into this subject as I have found a relative who says that his occupation was Lighterman when his child was baptised. I know the Guildhall have records but found a website but all the links are not found and I suspect the person who did this may have died in the last 2 years. I am off to Who do You Think you are next week and will be on the look out for reference books. Anyone had some one listed during this period as Lighterman they lived in Bermondsey/Southwark area. They may have gone on to be a Shipwright. Would be grateful for advice from anyone who knows about this period etc. Thanks

Reputation beyond repute

Try "Thames Watermen & Lightermen 1688-2010" on Findmypast

Brick wall demolition expert!

If you search the National Archives for "lighterman" you get quite a lot of hits.

It might also be worth checking out the National Maritime Museum - https://www.rmg.co.uk/national-maritime-museum

Reputation beyond repute

For London Metropolitan Archives' advice, see https://www.cityoflondon.gov.uk/thing...lightermen.pdf

The fullest advice is likely to be in the book My Ancestors were Thames Watermen* by James Legon published by the Society of Genealogists. Buy it online from the Society or use your public library.

* The book covers watermen and lightermen!

Knowledgeable and helpful

Thank you Peter I have down loaded the leaflet and will take it from there the book looks very good possible I may pick a copy up next week in Birmingham if lucky.