Loves to help with queries

Default CATHOLIC PRIEST ORDINATION RECORDS

Does anyone know if there is a CD listing ordination records for Catholic priests from between 1910 to 1960?

Hi
    Here is an old thread on Brit-Gen about the same subject. It may have some hints as to how to proceed

This is The National Archives research guide.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thank you Christina, I had already looked at that post but it didn't mention CDs. I have reserved a copy of CATHOLIC DIRECTORY OF ENGLAND AND WALES at my local library in the hope that might be of some help.

lancaster.jim

Quote Originally Posted by daisynook View Post
    Thank you Christina, I had already looked at that post but it didn't mention CDs. I have reserved a copy of CATHOLIC DIRECTORY OF ENGLAND AND WALES at my local library in the hope that might be of some help.
    The brief answer is there is no single publication book or CD providing this information. The earlier thread that has been mentioned includes one reference -�English and Welsh Priests 1801 - 1914, a Working List� compiled by C. Fitzgerald-Lombard, Downside Abbey (1993) (ISBN 0 9502759 8 0). This is literally what it says, a working list with one line for each priest and very occasionally, as in the example in that thread, a further note. The only other printed record of ordinations is the list of ordinations that appears annually in the Catholic Directory.

As with all family history it is best to work backwards from what you know. Was he a diocesan priest or a member of a religious order? If he was a diocesan (secular) priest then write to the Archivist of the diocese where he was based. Explain your quest and ask if the diocese has any information about him, his ordination, his work in the diocese, etc. Similarly for a member of a religious order you should write to the centre of that order in England. The contact details for these archivists will be found in the current edition of the Catholic Directory which you should find in your main local library, or you can look on the internet for the diocese or order.

If you have access to a large library it MIGHT have a run of Catholic Directories that would enable you to track the parishes where he served.

The two main Catholic libraries in England have closed in recent years. Two universities are developing Catholic libraries, Durham University and Liverpool Hope University, but I do not know if it is possible for the public to access these.

If you can post some details of the priest concerned, someone MIGHT be able to help

Regards,

Jim Lancaster (Bury, Lancs.)

Thank you Jim for all that information. It doesn't look like I'm going to get far!! I'm looking for an ordination date for a priest who is still alive but is very old and not up to questions. He was a member of the Salford Diocese and I have seen his name on a list of retired priests but no dates. I'm also looking for any priests with the name McMullen who appeared on a wedding photo in 1920s in Manchester. So not much information I'm afraid. Thank you anyway.

lancaster.jim

Hi,

The 2016 Salford Diocesan Almanac states -

Thomas F MULLIN ordained 31 May 1959
    It states that he is retired and has an address in Ireland for him.

The Catholic Directory for 1960 confirms the date but does not give a place.

Fr. Mullin was ordained on the same day as Fr. Robert Morrow and Fr. Aidan O'Reilly. The latter two priests were in seminary together, probably All Hallows College, Ireland, so it maybe that Fr. Mullin was educated there as well. Fr. O'Reilly died in 2011 but his Obituary in the Salford Diocesan Almanac 2012 does not state where he was educated.

For further information, you should contact Fr. D. Lannon at -

Salford Diocesan Archivist
    St Augustine
    Grosvenor Square
    All Saints
    Manchester M15 6BW

Hope this helps, but if anything is not clear please send me a note

Thanks again Jim for your efforts but I think this priest is too late a date. The priests who would have been McMullen's would most likely have been ordained in 1910s - 1920s. I will go on looking.

lancaster.jim

Hi,

I have been able to look at a Catholic Directory for 1920 and found 8 McMULL?N and 2 MULL?N entries, but again none of them is associated with the Diocese of Salford.

The Catholic Directories at this time included priests working in Great Britain, i.e. the lists did not include Ireland, and included some British priests working abroad. It must be remembered that my information is just a sample from the series of annual publications.

I would suggest that contacting Fr Lannon, the Salford Diocesan Archivist, is your best next step. He will have details of all the priests working for the Diocese over the years. He does not charge for his work, but a donation would be much appreciated.

Hope this helps,