Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Somerset Light Infantry

Can someone point me in the right direction? In 1890 my granddad Walter Benjamin Godfrey joined the Somerset Light Infantry 4th Battalion Nos 2499. He was just 18 years of age. It says he was served a 'notice". What does this mean? He signed up for six years but served 1890-1893. As far as I can see the SLI were fairly quiet at this time but I remember granddad saying he served in the Boer War. I have never found him in the 1901 census, so perhaps he did. I have his military records for WW1. Can anyone suggest anything that might help me. With thanks Elma

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

FMP, a pay to view site, has a record of him, which confirms the Boer War story.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Ancestry also has 2 medal rolls for the Boer War which must be him.
    1 has his service number as 5499 , Walter Godfrey, 4th P A Somerset L I for the KSA with 1901 and 1902 clasps and the other has same details and number for the QSA with Cape Colony clasp.
    Are you sure his service number was 2499 and not 5499?

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Quote Originally Posted by peter nicholl View Post
    FMP, a pay to view site, has a record of him, which confirms the Boer War story.
    Thank you Peter, the only record I can find on FMP is 1890-1893 which is not the Boer War. I will look again.

Quote Originally Posted by simmo1 View Post
    Hi

Ancestry also has 2 medal rolls for the Boer War which must be him.
    1 has his service number as 5499 , Walter Godfrey, 4th P A Somerset L I for the KSA with 1901 and 1902 clasps and the other has same details and number for the QSA with Cape Colony clasp.
    Are you sure his service number was 2499 and not 5499?

regards

Robert
    Thank you Robert. That has been helpful and going back to look again I can now see some Boer records on FMP. I don't know how they hide sometimes when you put the same criteria in! . The number on the 1890-1893 record is definitely 2499 and very clear. The details match up though.

At last I find him. Now I have to work out what the SLI were doing in these periods exactly 1890-1893 and 1890-1905.I also would like to know what it means to be served notice on his first enlistment (1890), then he was also discharged by purchase (1893). I am trying to write a story book for my grandchildren. Can any one point me in the right direction? Thankyou.

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

Discharge by purchase - https://www.reubique.com/buyout.htm
    Some information on the regiment - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Somerset_Light_Infantry - scroll down for the appropriate years.

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thanks Robert.

I wonder if employers ever helped with discharge. Walter worked for Clarke's Shoemakers in Street and they were Quakers.

Famous for offering help & advice peter nicholl's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Elma View Post
    Thank you Peter, the only record I can find on FMP is 1890-1893 which is not the Boer War. I will look again.
    If you use the Service Number shown by Simmo1, FMP confirms the details,1899-1902.
    Peter Nicholl
    Researching:Nicholl,Boater, Haselgrove & Vaughan

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by Elma View Post
    Can someone point me in the right direction? In 1890 my granddad Walter Benjamin Godfrey joined the Somerset Light Infantry 4th Battalion Nos 2499. He was just 18 years of age. It says he was served a 'notice". What does this mean? He signed up for six years but served 1890-1893. As far as I can see the SLI were fairly quiet at this time but I remember granddad saying he served in the Boer War. I have never found him in the 1901 census, so perhaps he did. I have his military records for WW1. Can anyone suggest anything that might help me. With thanks Elma
    Hi, My Great Grandfather Charles Millard was in the SLI 4th Battalion. Though initially he was in the militia but they were embodied in 1900 and travelled to South Africa. His Army No. was 5413. It may be your grandfather left the army as you said and then re-enlisted in the Militia (which were the territorial army of the day). ?He would have been paid for this and it was relatively an easy number until they were called to go to S.A.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast