Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Hi Philip, been a long time hope you and yours are well.. I have very good photograph of Leahs Grave stone very expensive and very flat in the Sephardi style. Unfortunately her fathers name is not given.. which yes is annoying.. Masaod Shannon came to London from Tetuan via Gibraltar when he was 60 according to his own words about 1793

Hi Kevin
    Good to hear from you. Is the photograph of Leah's tombstone one that you took? If so, is there any chance you could send a copy to Cemetery Scribes for their records?

If you look on the Cemetery Scribes Blog you can see a range of articles I have written on various individuals. In addition, I transcribed almost a thousand will extracts for Synagogue Scribes including several hundred Sephardic wills. I am transcribing others.

Please let me know if you are able to submit the Leah photograph.

Best wishes
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

So Gabs conned you as well ... The Novo Cemetery on her site is my work.. some notes are referenced KM. Brilliant. Phillip put the group on facebook .. unfortunately thats the place to be ... for you to know you may not be interested I have transcribed numerous records from the Western Sephardi Dispora what do I mean The hague digitied Surinam (with Curacao)these two between them had the largest Jewish populaton in the Americas untill 1850s.. The Hague gave me the records and I put into excel link back to the originals thats just one among many I help CAHJP in Jerusalem even sorted out a family for them. Lastly for you I have photgraphed all the BMDs in the Bevis Marks Archives I am now linking them to transcriptions I did of the BM Books.. but annoyingly the writers did not use the original indexes which is annoying but I am now recreating the... what does it man If you a Ketbah I can send you a copy..

Great hearing from you as to Leahs gravestone(I was there yesterday but the cemetery was closed, no it was taken by the family brillant done Shaving foam, but it does not help as no fathers name, its very confusing one of the Shannons refers to her as his sister, but I cant find proof the whole thing strange the only marriage that fits (thankyou Gabs) does not really fit as she was 30 yrs old.. as said a mishmash Philip I am on FB or use my email [email protected]

Gabys got the picture gave it yesterday

Hi Kevin
    I have sent you a private e mail to the address you have posted. Please check your inbox and junk mail. I put read receipt o the message.
    Well done for sending Gaby the photograph. I had no idea you also were a contributor to Cemetery/Synagogue Scribes.

I hope to hear from you via my own private e mail.

Best wishes

Default LEAH SHANNON-ABRAHAM MOSES

Hi Kevin
    You asked me if I had any update on Leah Shannon to confirm whether or nor Jacob was her father. To date I have not seen any primary records to confirm the relationship. Raphael's post #25 of this thread plus his posts on British Jewry in 2021 have yet to confirm the parents of Leah. As you know there are several online family trees which have made the connection but not based on any primary records that I can identify. The British Newspaper Archives don't provide any further details other than Benjamin Cohen being the son in law of Jacob which we already knew.
    The Nuevo Burial records ( Cemetery Scribes) provide no full data other than Jacob de Masaod Shannon 13 March 1837; Phineas de Mas (ao) Shannon 1837;Esther Shannon wd of Masaod 1833;Clara de Masaod Shannon 1872;Masahod Shannon 1823.
    There are Kingston Shannon Jamaica Sephardic records including Isaac 1812 and Abraham 1812 and Rachel 1837 wife of Mashod Shannon.

There are no relevant Shannon pre 1858 Wills that I can locate. There is the NA 2362 Judith Azuly 1818 will extract Synagogue Scribes with her niece Mrs Judith Shannon wife of Abraham Shannon ( Judith maiden name Torres- see NA 1491 Moses Torres 1783).

I do not know if the Shannon appear in the Hyamson or Collyer Fergusson Anglo Jews records or the JGSGB Family trees but there maybe further documents which currently we are not aware of.

The above names may provide further clues to the relationships but further research is needed.

Quote Originally Posted by phillip View Post
    Hi Kevin
    You asked me if I had any update on Leah Shannon to confirm whether or nor Jacob was her father. To date I have not seen any primary records to confirm the relationship. Raphael's post #25 of this thread plus his posts on British Jewry in 2021 have yet to confirm the parents of Leah. As you know there are several online family trees which have made the connection but not based on any primary records that I can identify. The British Newspaper Archives don't provide any further details other than Benjamin Cohen being the son in law of Jacob which we already knew.
    The Nuevo Burial records ( Cemetery Scribes) provide no full data other than Jacob de Masaod Shannon 13 March 1837; Phineas de Mas (ao) Shannon 1837;Esther Shannon wd of Masaod 1833;Clara de Masaod Shannon 1872;Masahod Shannon 1823.
    There are Kingston Shannon Jamaica Sephardic records including Isaac 1812 and Abraham 1812 and Rachel 1837 wife of Mashod Shannon.

There are no relevant Shannon pre 1858 Wills that I can locate. There is the NA 2362 Judith Azuly 1818 will extract Synagogue Scribes with her niece Mrs Judith Shannon wife of Abraham Shannon ( Judith maiden name Torres- see NA 1491 Moses Torres 1783).

I do not know if the Shannon appear in the Hyamson or Collyer Fergusson Anglo Jews records or the JGSGB Family trees but there maybe further documents which currently we are not aware of.

The above names may provide further clues to the relationships but further research is needed.
    Hi Kevin
    I have sent you a private e mail to the address you have posted. Please check your inbox and junk mail. I put read receipt o the message.
    Well done for sending Gaby the photograph. I had no idea you also were a contributor to Cemetery/Synagogue Scribes.

I hope to hear from you via my own private e mail.

Best wishes
    Philip, my emails were getting bounced.. email mr [email protected]

Hi Kevin

[email protected]

Here is the problem, both Lea Moses assumed daughters were born prior to her marriage to Abraham. Another question assuming they were her daughters why would she have returned to London leaving them (not much of a mother)...The one child born after her marriage I believe returned to London with her. Also look at her age when she marries Abraham in 1827, she is 33/34 years old. On the passenger manifest 1834 her daughters are listed as Sarah 15 yrs old and Julia 9 yrs old both predating the marriage date. As to the maiden name appearing on the death records,very lucky as that iformation is not given on the records here in the UK. The reality is that is the only record which gives her name a Shannon if indeed we are talking of this Leah. let battle commence

Hi Kevin
    I am still working out the Shannon relationships. In my view we need to look carefully at the will data which gives us specific names and in some cases relationships. In the case of Judith Azuly 1818 she names her nieces as Mrs Judah Shannon wife of Abraham Shannon and then names Esther and Sarah Shannon. She does not state their relationship to each other or to Mrs Judah and Abraham Shannon.
    Esther and Sarah Shannon also appear in the Frances Moses will 1823 and in Frances's sister Minkey Moses will she names Sarah and Maria Shannon 1819.
    Solomon Azuly 1809 ( husband of Judith) names Hanna and Ester Shannon. Again there is no reference to relationships between the Shannon.

The 1833 passenger list has Joseph Moses then the family of Abraham Moses, his wife Sarah and an infant, Sarah Moses 15,Julian 9*** I do not read the name as Julia or Judith because the end letter appears to me as an 'n',Moses 3,Rebecca no dob *** is she the infant? Henry 3, Deborah 5, Hannah 2 and a half??

Raphael made mention of the Sarah issue regarding the wife of Abraham and no Leah name # 25

The key questions remain- where is Leah in the above family passenger record- is this an error and note also the Azuly wills and later Moses wills. Raphael also made mention of the Australian certificates regarding Leah and raised questions about the Shannon/Moses names.

Currently, I don't see any evidence to link a Leah to the passenger list 1833 unless Sarah is Leah and the family adopted Leah as a first name in preference to Sarah. This would not be unusual. Nb The Australian Death Index record has Sarah Moses 1818 with parents Abraham and LEAH.She is buried in Rookwood Jewish Cemetery 1892.

At present, the jury is still out on Leah and more data is needed.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast