Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default BENJAMIN COHEN-RACHEL SHANNON

This new thread should be read in conjunction with the earlier thread " Mashod Shannon and William Levi Lines" started in 2013. In the earlier thread I posted data on the potential relationships between the Shannon and Levi aka Levy lines. In this new thread I will provide data on Benjamin Cohen 1792-1858 and his wife Rachel Shannon 1790-1843. Benjamin Cohen together with his father in law Jacob Shannon, Mark Nathan, Charles Lewis alias Levi, Samuel Shannon, William Levi, Bernard Solomon and Nathan Davis together with others were all named in The Kings Bench Trial of 1820 involving Bills of Exchange and fraud.
    The trial appeared in several newspapers including The Times.."Benjamin Cohen a watchmaker in Ayliff Street Goodman's fields falling into or simulating distress in July 1819, caused his father in law Jacob Shannon, to propose to his creditors a composition of four shillings in the pound. This offer was made through the agency of the defendant Richard Wilkinson, an attorney, to whom another defendant Charles Lewis alias Levi was a clerk".
    The trial report also noted.." Benjamin Cohen, the bankrupt, it seemed, has absconded; against John Reece, a noli prosequi was entered afainst Samuel Shannon, William Levi, Bernard Solomon and Nathan Davis".
    Jacob Shannon, Mark Nathan, Charles Lewis alias Levi and Richard Wilkinson were found guilty. The other four defendants were acquitted. The judgments were reviewed under appeal and it appears that the defendants found guilty were acquitted but this is not clear in the reports.

Robert Ward and myself have posted significant data on William Levi aka Levy and his sons on this forum and Robert has published an excellent and detailed account of the Levi and Lewis plus the related families through marriages in his book Wealth and Notoriety the extraordinary families of William Levy and Charles Lewis of London April 2013 Lulu Publications.
    The main purpose of this new thread is to unpick the Shannon relationships to the Levi who relate to my Jacobs lines.
    Synagogue Scribes Site have the marriage of Benjamin Cohen to Rachel Shannon- GSM119/18 - 17 June 1818
    Rachel Shannon -Rachel bat Masaod Shannon Sephardi - Benjamin Cohen Baruch bar Abraham Ha Cohen

The London Trade Directories JewishGen has Benjamin Cohen 50 Great Alie Street Alex Ritt 1819
    and the Morning Post Monday June 28 1819 has Benjamin Cohen watchmaker Great Alie Street Goddman's fields Bankrupt. There is no doubt that this is the same Benjamin Cohen bankrupt and watchmaker identified in the 1820 trial.
    As will be posted further Benjamin and Rachel left the UK and settled in the USA.
    Phillip

Circa 1820-21 Benjamin Cohen and his wife left the UK and settled in the USA. The bankruptcy and trial including the absence of Benjamin during the trial suggest that he left the UK quickly. His daughter Frances was born in 1821 in South Carolina. Frances 1821-1899 was to marry Abraham Tobia Ezekiel 1816-1880. FindaGrave website has the Tombstone of Frances- Frances Ezekiel born in Yorkville SC February 11, 1821 died at the age of 78 March16,1899 Buried Oakwood Cemetery Montgomery Alabama.
    Her mother Rachel had died in 1843- "In the 45th year of her age, Mrs Rachel Cohen, a native of England, late of Charlotte NC and for the last five years a residence of this city". Obituary Times-Picayune New Orleans Oct 3 1843.
    Benjamin Cohen died in 1858- FindaGrave website- Benjamin Jacob Cohen b 24 July 1792 died 5 February 1858 New Orleans Louisiana Dispersed of Judah Cemetery. The site has the record of his son Captain Jacob A Cohen attached to his father's record. However, Jacob is buried in the Hebrew Confederate Cemetery Richmond, Richmond City Virginia USA- Captain Jacob A Cohen b 1829 Death August 30,1862 Co A 10th LA killed at 2nd Manassas. A further USA Civil War record records Captain Jacob A Cohen Captain Company A Louisiana Light Artillery.
    I will post further.
    Phillip

Another daughter of Benjamin Cohen and Rachel Shannon was Julia 1819-1906 who had married Isaac Hart 1814-1890 son of Alexander Hart and Pauline Moses. The family tree of one of my Simmonds/Hauer distant relative shows that the Cohen/Hart lines married into the following families- David Jacob WORKUM 1831-1885; Leonora LEVY 1848-1925; Mayer HALFF 1836-1905; Lee AMBERG 1859-1927; Frederick GOLDSMITH 1858-1938; Eva DREYFU 1798-1848.
    Julia is buried Woodmere Cemetery Detroit Wayne County Michigan Plot Section NF - FindaGrave- there is no photograph of the tombstone and the inscription reads- Julia Cohen Hart b unknown death March 14, 1906 born in England lived at 167 E Canfield Detroit Michigan aged 86 years 10mths.
    Phillip

I have yet to verify the data on the siblings of Rachel Shannon but there are several family trees online which include the names and marriages of the siblings:
    Masaod aka Samuel 1802-1868 m Amelia Abrahams ( the Australian Marriage Index records Amelia as Emelia married 1841 Sydney NSW- she maybe the Emilia Abrahams age 22 b Hackney 1839 who arrived on the Lady Raffles father Louis and mother Rebecca with sister Rachel on board-noted as a House Servant- NSW Bounty Immigrants List
    Judith aka Julia; Moses; Esther m ?Cooper; Dinah b 1809 m ? Serrell; Israel Lawrence; Sarah m Solomon MEGUERA- this marriage is recorded in the JCR/UK records via Jewishgen- Sarah Shannon full age spinster Whitechapel father Jacob Shannon deceased - living at 29 Mount Street Whitechapel; Solomon MEGUERA bachelor full age gentleman 29 Mount Street Whitechapel father David Meguera deceased -witnesses S GENESE; David SOARES
    The Bevis Marks Records also via JCR/UK Data base records burial David MIGUERA 1838; SOLOMON MIGUERA 1848; ESTHER BELLA MIGUERA father DAVID 1842 Novo New Cemetery- the spelling of the surname is recorded on Free BMD as David MEGUERA June qtr 1838 Stepney 2403; SOLOMON MEGUERA June qtr 1848 Stepney 2 355; Esther Neolante MEGUERA March qtr 1842 St Geo East 2 64

There is also the British Merchant Seaman Record 1835-1857 for Solomon MEGUERA b 1817 - (1845 Record)
    The parents of Solomon Meguera are recorded on the family trees as David Meguera and Bella Rodrigues MOREIR.
    Phillip

An earlier thread "Moses Families" contained posts on Leah Shannon 1795-1867 and her marriage to Abraham MOSES 1798-1873 - Leah being a sibling of Rachel et al. Family trees have Esther Shannon 1807-1848 died Sydney married to Alfred Cooper. Isreal Lawrence Lewis Shannon 1813-1893 Cooma NSW

Importantly, there are references in Probate ( see Synagogue Scribes Will Extracts) to other Shannon lines but no clear indication as to the relationships between these Shannon and the Jacob Shannon lines.
    The Will of MINKEY MOSES NA367 29 Oct 1819 Trafalgar Street Spinster sister Frances MOSES spinster includes bequests to my SIMMONDS/JACOBS/LEVY relatives and names MALCAH LEVY as her aunt. The will also includes bequests to "my dear fried JUDITH SHANNON; Miss Esther, Sarah and Maria SHANNON.
    The Will of Frances MOSES sister of Minkey 28 May 1823 refers to her cousin Benjamin ELIAS as well as to her siblings Minkey and Elias Moses both dead and includes bequests to Mrs and Dr SHANNON, Esther, Sarah , Maria and Daniel SHANNON plus bequests to my Simmonds aka Simmons relatives Hannah , Dinah(Rawna) and Bendix SIMMONS children of Woolf SIMMONS and Eve.

A much earlier will of another MINKEY MOSES 1764 refers to bequesst to her Aunt SIMONDS and brothers David and Abraham Sebeg and Sarah MOSES.
    It is possible that the Shannon lines referred to in the 2 Moses wills maybe those of Abrahm Shannon and Jeudith SILVEIRA. This Abraham maybe the Abraham Shannon surgeon 22 Bury Street Saint Mary Axe 1815 and London Land Tax Records show Dr Shannon Aldgate 1810.

I have yet to confirm these relationships.
    Phillip

Hi All,

For some time I have been researching Leah Shannon (born circa 1795), wife of Abraham Shannon, and I believe daughter to Jacob Shannon. I have been trying, in vain, to verify that her father beyond doubt was Jacob Shannon, or whether i was another of the Sephardic Shannons.

In one thread I noted you'd referred to her as a sister of Rachel Shannon (whose father was Jacob) however I don't see that connection from the Bevis Marks birth records.

Do any of you have any evidence that might confirm Jacob Shannon was Leah Shannon's father?

Also, I saw on one of your lists that Samuel Shannon, who we believe was Sarah's brother, was actually referred to as Masaod/Masahod as well when he arrived in Australia in a ship list. Do you know where I might source this list please?

I would really appreciate your advice. Thanks everybody

I wrote these posts some years ago and would need to re-read what I posted and check any possible new data. In the the thread Mashod Shamnon lines and William Levy lines started 27.9.2013 I wrote about Jacob Shannon being the father in law of Benjamin Cohen- see posts 1 and 2 of the thread and Synagogue Scribes Marriage record GSM 180/35 1818-Rachel Shannon-father Jacob (Sephardi)-spouse Benjamin Cohen.
    Burial records show Jacob de Masaod Shannon 1837; Masahod 1823- he was approx 100 when he died, Esther widow of Masaod Shannon 1833
    Leah Shannon married Abraham Moses-Death 27.2.1873 at his residence 68 Russell Square late of Sydney NSW- will proved by Sydney Merton and Moses Joseph, David Cohen the executors.

I have posted this data ( there are other Shannon Novo burial records) so that you can cross reference with current data you hold. I will look further.
    Death-Clara Shannon 5.4.1872 at the residence of her sister MRS RALPH HARRIS 11 Harper Street Red Lion Square aged 72. Death Rachel Harris 19.10.1872 11 Harper Street Red Lion Square aged 88 widow of Ralph Harris.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Further to my #7 the following article provides information to suggest that Jacob Shannon was the father of Leah:
    Australian Jewish Historical Society Oct 2016 (online)...Cooma -A Private Jewish Cemetery.John Stanhope
    " The SHANNON family male line has been traced back to Mashod Benshanan born in Barbary (North Africa about 1721. About 1740 he migrated to Gibraltar. He moved to London about 1777 preceded by his son Isaac who married and had children in London.
    Isaac's son JACOB b 1774 had 4 sons and 6 daughters. Two sons were transported as convicts;two daughters spent time in NSW. The 2 daughters were LEAH (MRS ABRAHAM MOSES) who was in NSW 1833-circa 1854 and ESTHER.

I will post further.

Default JACOB SHANNON-FANNY BIRTHS

I have looked carefully at the Bevis Marks Records for the Shannon BMD.The names of children born to a Jacob Shannon and a Fanny aka Frances aka Bryna are:
    Dinah 20 Oct 1809, Ester 2 Sept 1807 mother Frances,Israel 30 Jan 1813,Judith 12 June 1803,Masahod 7 July 1800 mother Bryna, Sarah 16 May 1817.
    There are no records for Leah,Rachel, Samuel. There is no marriage record for Leah Shannon and Abraham Moses.

Usually, members of the Bevis Marks congregation would register the BMD of relatives living in London.Given that various Shannon children are recorded it raises the question as to whether or not other children recorded in family trees and other records belong to the same parents and are Sephardic.

These family trees and records do not give full details of the origins of the births of all the children and it would be important to trace each child and identify exactly what the source of their birth record is. The lack of a Bevis Marks marriage record for Leah Shannon and Abraham Moses also raises the question as to whether they married in London and were Sephardi. There are records on Bevis Marks births and marriages where a parent, bride or groom are recorded as being Ashkenazi. This would have implications for the specific rights of an individual if a dispute arose between couples if brought to the Mahamad for deliberation and decisions.

Further to #9- other reasons for not seeing BMD for other Shannon on Bevis Marks Records maybe that the records are not fully complete or took place overseas or elsewhere. This would make it difficult to fully identify an individual. However, later records do show the names of various Shannon being associated such as These are the names. Jewish lives in Australia 1788-1850 including Leah, Samuel and others.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast