Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Hi Ralph
    The Tombstone for Leah should have her father's name in Hebrew but a better image is required to read it. As an aside my Hart, Crawcour, Goldsmid et al are still in Australia. Unfortunately, I never made contact with any of them when I lived in Australia because I was not searching my lines at that stage. My contact has all been over the past 20+years.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Thanks Phillip - fingers crossed!
    I wanted to share with you a publication I saw a while back that may have some relevance to the Hart family - if you could direct message me that would be good as I need to attach it. Your message box is full.

Hi Ralph
    I have sent a private message. Many thanks for your kind offer regarding the Hart lines. I have posted a lot of information on BG on these lines over many years and any new data is always welcome.

Hi Raph
    Given the interest on the thread I thought it useful to re-visit some of the data on Jacob Shannon.
    1 There is no marriage record for him on the Bevis Marks records from 1789 onwards
    2 The name Bryna is a first name and not last name and does not equate with Fanny aka Frances in Yiddish/Hebrew. Some family trees have Sarah as the first name for the wife of Jacob but there is no record to confirm this
    3 Where a Sephardi marries an Ashkenazi Jew the name Tudesca is sometimes recorded which is for German or Ashkenazi- as an example Abraham de Masaod Shannon marriage in 1797 Bevis Marks
    4 The thread Mashod Shannon and William Levy lines started 27.9.2013 suggests some form relationship between the various lines but this is not clear.
    5 The question regarding Jacob Shannon and Rachel Belasco as recorded in the Spanish and Portuguese Jews Orphan Society record needs checking

I am still researching the data.

What did the transcription of Leah Shannon's tombstone in Hebrew say. You said there was no reference to her father as per Leah bat....

There are numbers of issues relating to these lines which remain unresolved.

Hi Phillip.

Thanks for your help with this and for exploring the Orphans Book.

I believe the girl referenced in the Orphans Book next to Jacob Shannon is Rebecca (not Rachel) Belasco. It may mean nothing in the end.

I think it's worth summarising what I/we know about the Shannon line so far.

- Jacob was the son of Ishac/Isaac and Hannah/Hanah and he is listed in the BM births lists as being born in 1774.
    - I don't know where Ishac was born but Meshod, Ishac's father and Jacob's grandfather, appears in the Bevis Marks Alien list (listed as Mazahod from Tetuan/Gibraltar) as arriving at Portsmouth in 1780/81. You would have seen this I'm sure. https://synagoguescribes.com/blog/be...ien-list-1803/
    - some sources suggest Ishac was in London by the mid-1700s (pre-Meshod's arrival) but I haven't seen a primary record to indicate that.

Jacob records:
    - In the BM birth records it appears Jacob’s first wife/partner was recorded as Bryna.
    - Then for subsequent children it was Frances/Fanny.
    - I cannot find Jacob Shannon's death record in the Novo burial lists (just a Jacob de Masaod Shannon) - could Jacob Shannon (1774) have been ex-communicated from the Bevis Marks due to his involvement in criminal activity? For another partner or perhaps a child I don't know which, I also see a Bilha/Bella Shannon (de Jacob) in the Novo lists...
    - I don't know why Leah did not list her father’s name on the grave as there was a schism between herself and her Shannon family. She died before Abraham's death and the Samuel Shannon theft may have left a bad taste in his mouth. She was older than Abraham too so he was quite young when they married (no record remains). Likely around their criminal behaviour but this is hard to verify. We know that Samuel was employed by Abraham Moses (Leah's husband) and posted a very public warning notice in National Newspapers not to trust Samuel due to a stolen/"lost" cheque
    - Leah’s daughters Julia and Sarah Moses' death certificates both list Leah’s maiden name on their birth certificates - Leah Moses (née Shannon) which seems unusual. Could it be that Leah rejected the criminal element of her family by the time she was back in London (and extremely wealthy - some estimates state she and Abraham were worth 40-50 million pounds on their return)?
    - So we know, beyond doubt, that Leah's surname was Shannon. We also know that she kept the company of her cousins/siblings others called "Shannon" - Samuel and Israel Shannon, indeed lived in the 50km radius of them in regional NSW. Highly unlikely this was by chance. They may have seen Abraham and Leah's good standing in that small and nascent community as an opportunity to get "back on their feet".
    - I also return to the ship lists (and paper records) for Abraham and Leah's arrival in Sydney which list her as Sarah Moses. This is confusing unless it was an oversight. Dr Abraham Shannon and Judith Shannon had a daughter named Sarah. This Sarah as well as her parents was also mentioned in the Minkey Moses and Frances Moses wills. Could Leah have been born Sarah Shannon originally before Australia? Is it normal for a Jewish woman to change her given name? There is no record of this Sarah Shannon's existence after her birth in records that I have seen.
    - Speculation too, but could Minkey and Frances Moses have been relations of Abraham Moses, Leah's (Sarah in this theory's) husband, hence the marriage between Shannon and Moses families?

Thanks again for all of your help,
    Raph

Hi Raph
    I am still researching the lines but if you go onto Synagogue Scribes will extracts and type in the one word Minkey or Minky it will identify relationships between the Moses. These include NA 1021 Moses Hart 1757;Esther Moses NA 729 -1790;Henry Moses NA 360 1769;NA 368 Samuel Moses. These relationships identify Minkey/Minky/Judith/Frances and others.
    In addition, there are the Pesman/Capua who relate to my Simmonds/Jacobs lines as well as the Micah Levy line. These names also appear in various wills.
    Given the previous 'business' relationships between the Shannon and Levi/Levy as per court cases it is my view that the Moses/Shannon/Levi/Levy et al all relate in ways we currently don't know.

Would it be possible for you to post what the Hebrew inscription said on Leah's tombstone. It is not common for this to be missed out unless members of the family chose otherwise.

Hi Raph
    Here are 2 Synagogue Scribes records which indicate the father's Hebrew name for Minkey Moses NA 367 and HAMBURSYN 395 Burial 1819-father Elchanon HHR ( abbreviation or part of last name in initials)- Mrs Lucky Moses hambursyn 479 -father's Hebrew name Elchanon Hamburger.
    Nb If you look on other records you will note last name changes for Hamburger.

The question remains as to whether these Moses relate to Abraham Moses.

Hi Phillip,

Please see Leah's Hebrew inscription translation below.

I AM THINE, SAVE ME
    HER CHILDREN ARISE UP AND CALL HER BLESSED.
    HER HUSBAND ALSO AND HE PRAISETH HER.
    THE HEADSTONE OF THE IMPORTANT WOMAN MS. LEAH WIFE OF AVRAHAM BAR YOSEF
    PASSED ON FRIDAY 9TH OF KISLEV AND WAS BURIED ON MONDAY 12TH OF THE SAME OF THE YEAR 5628
    AT SEVENTY-TWO YEARS OF AGE
    DEEPLY LAMENTED BY HER HUSBAND, CHILDREN, AND ALL HER FRIENDS/ACQUAINTANCES.
    MAY HER SOUL BE BOUND UP IN THE BOND OF LIFE

Still awaiting translation of her husband Abraham Moses, who is next to her in the cemetery.

Thanks,
    Raph

Hi Phillip, saw your note about the Hamburger family - their is a very interesting article which comments on the Hamburger/Moses connection entitled The Family of Mordecai Hamburger and their Association with Madras - by R.J D'Arcy Hart. You have probably come across this. It describes Minkey and Frances in some more detail and mentions Dr Abraham, Judith and several of their children, Sarah, Esther and Miryam.

Hi Raph
    It's interesting to see that Leah has no father's name on her tombstone inscription. I wonder why this was.

In case I forgot, my 4x great grandmother was Kitty Moses wife of Henry Jacobs. The Jacobs relate to the Levy as per Daniel Levy and others. Daniel in his turn relates to the Levy/Levi/Lewis who are named in the court trial involving Jacob Shannon. However, Kitty was the daughter of Moses Cohen my 5x great grandfather and it appears adopted the patronymic name of her father.
    I know nothing about Kitty, her father or if she had siblings or who her mother was.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast