Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Perry Family in Portsmouth, Hampshire

My great-grandfather Albert Fowler Perry (b. 1871) came from the Portsea Island area of Portsmouth. His parents were Charles Perry (b. 1840) and Susan Perry (b. 1849). His career was listed as a painter decorator, when he wasn't in the army in the late 19th and early 20th century. He married Elizabeth E. Perry (B1880) in 1897. Albert's siblings were Charles James Perry (b1861), Arthur WSJ & Walter E. Perry (B. 1878). My Great-Grandfather's whereabouts after my grandfather Clifford Thomas Perry (B. 1902) was about 9 are unknown. My father grew up not knowing his UK Grandparents/Aunts/Uncles/Cousins as he lived in Canada. We're hoping to find more information about Albert F. and also where his wife Elizabeth was buried in Portsmouth (which is proving to be difficult from a distance.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Albert Fowler Perry:
    Birth registration: Dec quarter 1871 Portsea Island

1881 Census: Piece 1160 Folio 112 Page 25: 41 Lucknow Street, Portsea, Portsea Island, Hampshire. Parents Charles and Susan from Langford, Somerset (both born about 1840) and 4 sons: Charles J (1869), Albert F (1872), Walter E (1878) and Thomas (1880)

Marriage registration: Dec quarter 1897 Portsea Island to Elizabeth Ellen Huttey

1901 Census: Piece 985 Folio 124 Page 21: 23 Moorland Road, Portsmouth, Hampshire. Albert was a House Decorator, and was with his wife Elizabeth E and daughter Nellie E J (1900).

1911 Census: Piece: 5611; Schedule Number: 273: 57 Boulton Road, Southsea, Portsmouth. Elizabeth was a sewing machinist and had 3 children: Nellie Emma Jane (11), Clifford Thomas (9) and Harold Leslie (2). Elizabeth describes herself as married (implying that Albert was living), and says that they had had 4 children but 1 had died. There was also a boarder Harold Herbert Hardy aged 31.

1924 – Elizabeth E Perry married Harold H Hardy in Portsmouth – January quarter of 1924. Vol 2B Page 809. You really need to get this marriage certificate to see what it says about Elizabeth’s marital status (i.e. widowed or divorced). Certificates can be got from: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/. What ever you do, only buy certificates from that site, which is the official UK Govt site.

In 1939 Elizabeth E Hardy, born 23 Jan 1880 was living at 87 Beresford Road , Portsmouth C.B., Hampshire. I can’t tell you who one of the occupants of the house was, as that record is closed. There was also a married chap called John H W Edgington born in 1914 living there, but there is nothing to indicate whether or not he was a boarder or a relative. Elizabeth was a widow.

It looks as though she died in Portsmouth in 1961.

Growing old Disgracefully

Extended family for you Elizabeth Ellen Hutley parents
    Father Peter Hutley b. 1838 Black Notley essex.
    Mother Ellen b1846 Botley hampshire
    Children
    George Hutley. abt 1869 Eastney, Hampshire, England

James Hutley. abt 1874, Eastney, Hampshire, England

Alexander Hutley abt 1877, Eastney, Hampshire, England

Clifford Hutley abt 1888, Portsmouth, Hampshire, England

Might be more still looking

Reputation beyond repute

and also where his wife Elizabeth was buried in Portsmouth
    Possible death

Deaths Mar 1961
    HARDY Elizabeth E 81 Portsmouth 6b 542

Growing old Disgracefully

A certain site A*******y has a couple of WW1 Army 1914-1920 pension records for Albert F Perry could be of interest if anyone can see them (I don't have a sub although I am able to see some records without it )

Also if he was missing for 7 + years Elizabeth could remarry couldn't she.

Reputation beyond repute

when he wasn't in the army in the late 19th and early 20th century
    Tell us about the army service. Megan has found census returns which show he wasn't in the army in 1881 or 1901.

Charles Perry born circa 1840 Somerset

1871 Census: Piece: 1148; Folio: 46; Page: 35
    Charles: Sergeant R M A and his wife and children: Charles J 1869 Somerset and Arthur W S J 1870 Somerset.

Charles Perry married Susan Clark 9 Dec 1860 in Brewham, Somerset. I can’t seem to find the GRO registration reference.

1841 Census: Butts Cottage, Langford Budville, Wellington, Somerset. Piece 951 Book 7 Folio 7 Page 8. His parents James (Carpenter) and Sarah, and siblings Ann Selina, Charlotte and Wm Fowler.

1851 Census: Langford Toll Gate, Langford Budville, Wellington, Somerset. Piece 1921 Folio 191 Page 5. James and Sarah are living with James’s father, also James and a carpenter who was born 1782 in Somerset. They have 8 children including Charles who is a 10 year old farm labourer.

Charles and Susan Perry were alive in 1891 (Piece: 868; Folio: 15; Page: 24) and living in Portsea. In 1901 he is a widower living with his daughter in law Elizabeth and her children James Albert and Nellie in Birmingham. (piece 2829 folio 74 page 17). Elizabeth and her children are in Portsmouth in 1911 and she is described as married for 21 years. I am guessing that her husband was Charles James Perry who married in 1891 on Portsea Island.

James Perry born about 1807 Somerset married Sarah Fowler 2 July 1832 at Langford Budville, Somerset.

janbooth

Do you have Albert's Service record which is available to view on either Ancestry or FindmyPast, a pay per view site? It not only gives his service details but also the date & place of his marriage, his wife's maiden name, the witnesses to their marriage and the names and dates of birth of two of their children.

Interestingly, his WW1 Pension Army Reserve record dated 7 November 1914, available to view on Ancestry, shows his next of kin as his brother Walter S PERRY, Royal Engineers, and not his wife, and gives extremely comprehensive details about his service and the medical conditions he suffered from.

Further to what Megan has found re a possible second marriage for Elizabeth Ellen, there is an entry in the 1939 Register for a widowed Elizabeth E HARDY, born 1880, still living in Portsmouth - can't give you full details I'm afraid because of FindmyPast's terms and conditions.

Not having much luck finding Albert F PERRY after the 1914 Army Reserve List record I'm afraid, so I do think Megan's suggestion re obtaining Elizabeth's possible second marriage certificate is the best way to go.

Janet

Amazing, what all the other members of this Forum have come up with whilst looking for records of Albert & Elizabeth and typing them in!!

There is a death registration for Charles Perry in 1901 in Birmingham, which fits with the 1901 census record I found.

Susan Perry died in 1895 in Portsea Island.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast