Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thank you for looking this up, Sandy. I really appreciate that. It makes me think that Elizabeth must have named my Grandfather after her brother Clifford. My uncle also has the same name. These families really were from the Portsmouth/Hampshire area. I've not met many people from these parts.

Sandy, I will ask my brother if he's seen the records. We know that Albert tried to enlist in 1914 but was discharged 26 days later for medical reasons.

Hi, Peter, Here is a piece my brother wrote with his army information. He seems to have seen the world a bit.

Albert Fowler military records show up in the British Army WWI Pension Records. He joined the British Army 1888. Posted to India for 4 years and Ceylon for 1. Returned to England due to illness (bronchitis and syphilis) 1897. Married October 1897. Occupatation – baker. 1901 – re-enlisted in the army. Posted to Malta for 2 years and then Pretoria, South Africa for 1 year before returning in 1906. Discharged that year. 1914 – re-enlisted but was discharged 26 days later for medical reasons. Occupation in 1914 – painter.

Megan, it is interesting that Albert F's daughter Nellie has the same name as her cousin (Elizabeth and possibly Charles James' daughter Nellie). Also Albert F's son Clifford (my grandpa) has the same middle name as his uncle Thomas. These family members were all living in close proximity to each other it seems.

Hi, Jan, It is amazing what has been found by the other members. I'm very impressed and grateful. I will paste in a piece that my brother wrote about Albert's records. He seems to have done a fair bit of traveling. His son Clifford (my grandfather) ended up in what is now Iraq during the 1st world war when he was underage (15). So he seems to have gotten his dad's travel bug. As did my dad who worked overseas for much of his career.

I see what you're saying here. If he was still married to Elizabeth in 1914, why didn't he giver her as next of kin. This suggests a divorce.

Here is the piece my brother provided:

Albert Fowler military records show up in the British Army WWI Pension Records. He joined the British Army 1888. Posted to India for 4 years and Ceylon for 1. Returned to England due to illness (bronchitis and syphilis) 1897. Married October 1897. Occupatation – baker. 1901 – re-enlisted in the army. Posted to Malta for 2 years and then Pretoria, South Africa for 1 year before returning in 1906. Discharged that year. 1914 – re-enlisted but was discharged 26 days later for medical reasons. Occupation in 1914 – painter.

Megan, this is interesting as it shows that Charles James Perry's family moved to Birmingham - at least in the early 1900s but my father's great-grandmother was buried (most likely) on Portsea island. Although I think I heard that a cemetery was closed in one region so I'm not sure what would have been happening then.

It would be interesting to know if any of these marriages are for this Albert F. I have encountered a few others from that time period. I guess Albert was a popular name then. Harold was born when Albert F. was still with the family, we think. But nothing is certain.

Megan, this is interesting. I guess that Elizabeth either died or they divorced. It's interesting that he was living with his brother and their family. Families seemed to stick together in those days. Which means he would have been interacting with Albert F. if he was still alive.

Megan, this is very interesting. Also interesting that Caroline's daughter was also named Caroline. I'm trying to figure out which female branch of the family the person I mentioned (Peter Child) would come from to be related to Albert F.

That is interesting about the 1911 census. It's too bad the divorce records stopped in early 1900 as it's hard to know if his marriage is still to Elizabeth or to someone different. Thomas is the second name of my Grandfather Clifford Thomas which makes me wonder if Albert F. was close to his brother as Clifford was the oldest son. (I think.)

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast