Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Brick wall demolition expert!

There are various marriages for an Albert F Perry in 1918, 1921, 1929 etc. Unfortunately the divorce index that is on line only goes up to 1903, but if I had to hazard a guess I would do so by saying that by 1911 the marriage had broken down, and I would wonder if the youngest child in that census, Harold was the son of her 2nd husband, Harold?

The army pension records show that he enlisted in 1905 in the Hampshire regiment (?reserves), when he was almost 35 year old for a period of 14 years. But he appears to have left in 1906. I am not very good at reading or understanding military records, but it does look like he may have been in the reserves in the 1890s

Growing old Disgracefully

Quote Originally Posted by PamelaHardy View Post
    My great-grandfather Albert Fowler Perry (b. 1871) came from the Portsea Island area of Portsmouth. His parents were Charles Perry (b. 1840) and Susan Perry (b. 1849). His career was listed as a painter decorator, when he wasn't in the army in the late 19th and early 20th century. He married Elizabeth E. Perry (B1880) in 1897. Albert's siblings were Charles James Perry (b1861), Arthur WSJ & Walter E. Perry (B. 1878). My Great-Grandfather's whereabouts after my grandfather Clifford Thomas Perry (B. 1902) was about 9 are unknown. My father grew up not knowing his UK Grandparents/Aunts/Uncles/Cousins as he lived in Canada. We're hoping to find more information about Albert F. and also where his wife Elizabeth was buried in Portsmouth (which is proving to be difficult from a distance.
    I took this as Pamela knew all about the family already but as her father grew up in Canada not knowing anyone in his extended family. ie Grandparents, aunts, uncles & cousins I found some for her.

Charles James Perry

Birth registration: April quarter 1868 Portsea Island
    1871 Census: with his parents – see post #8
    1881 Census: with his parents – see post #2
    1891 Census: in the army in Portsmouth barracks – piece 877 folio 122 page 19. He attested 6 March 1871 in “Glamorgan Arty W D R A”

1894 Charles James Perry married Elizabeth Martin in Portsea.

1901 Census: 76, Broad Street, Hanley, Stoke upon Trent, Staffordshire Piece 2607, folio 24 page 5. He was married, a sergeant in the RMA and was living in a boarding house. His wife and children are shown in 1901 and 1911 – see post #8.

1925 Charles J Perry married Ethel A White in Woolwich, which is a big military area of London.

1939 he was living in Winchester, Hampshire and was a “master at arms merchant marine retired ex Royal Marine” & his birth date was 21 May 1867 (which is probably 1 year out based on the birth registration). He was married, and his wife was Ethel born 9 3 04. He was living with his brother Walter (born 31 8 1877) who was a widowed aircraft inspector, and his son William E born 14. 9. 1915. I think that Charles and Ethel must have had a child as there is one closed record.

1955 I think that Charles James Perry died in Winchester in this year. Ethel remarried that year to Frank Thomas in Winchester.

Arthur William St. J Perry was born 1870 in Portsea and died there in 1875.

Walter Ernest Perry was born 1877 in Portsea and died 1940 in Winchester.

He married in 1899 in Portsea to Caroline Martin.

1911 Census he was married and live-in barman at Bargate Hotel 185 High St Southampton, All Saints, Hampshire.

They had a son Walter Fowler Perry born 1913 in South Stoneham, Hampshire and William E Perry was born there in 1915. I think that William was William Ernest and died in Winchester in 1970.

He enlisted in Southampton in September 1914 and was described as a proficient fitter. At the end of the war he had the rank of acting sergeant in the Royal Engineers.

I notice that both Charles and Walter married girls with the maiden name “Martin”, so I did a little digging and found the 1881 census in Wellington, Somerset, which is where Elizabeth said she was from, and she had a sister, Caroline, born in 1880.

I haven’t been able to find any censuses for Walter and Caroline, but it must be a strong possibility that the brothers married sisters.

Caroline was living with her daughter Caroline aged 1 in Portsmouth in 1901.

I have been looking back at the information already provided and would add the following, which might seem a bit random, but I think they are bits that haven’t been mentioned already:

1. Charles Perry was buried 29 Nov 1901 at Kingswinford, Stafford, England. This fits with the Birmingham death already provided.

2. I think that this might be Albert in the 1911 Census – he is listed as a 39 year old married labourer born in Eastney who was a lodger. This was in Portsmouth, and Eastney is (I think) the parish name for the area of Portsmouth they were living in.

3 Walter Ernest Perry died 13 Jan 1940.

4. The Martin family seem to come from the same area of Somerset as the Perry Family.

5 The one brother that I have struggled to find much about is Thomas born 1879. He is with his family through to at least the 1891 census. He joined the Royal Artillery 5 March 1897. At that time he was a blacksmith. There was another Thomas Perry born about the same time in Hampshire, just to confuse things. There are some possible marriages in 1900 or 1902 or 1909 in Portsmouth.

6. Walter Fowler Perry born 1913 – there is a shipping record suggesting that he had been in Palestine as a RAF Electrician and arrived back in London on 13 Sept 1938.

7 Harold Herbert Hardy died in 1939 and his estate was probated to Harold Leslie Hardy, a wholesale provision merchant. So presumably at some point Harold Leslie Perry changed his name to Hardy. Harold L Hardy married Violet Amy E Player in 1933 in Portsmouth. He was born 21 Jun 1908 and Violet was born 12 Dec 1910 and died in Portsmouth in 2004. Harold died in 1979 in Slough, Buckinghamshire.

8. Ann Selina Perry born 1834 married Samuel Stevens 28 Jun 1872 in Bristol, Gloucestershire.

9. Although the marriage record for Albert Fowler Perry has transcribed Elizabeth Ellen’s maiden name as HUTTEY, I think from looking at other records it was Hutley. That is certainly how her birth is registered.

Thank you, Peter I need to go back to an e-mail I received from the church where Elizabeth was married. I think the Rector said that I would need to contact a specific office with a date of death before they could dive into their records (they have many books) to see more information about where my Great-Grandmother is buried. The middle initial seems right so this does seem promising!

Thank you so much for all of the content that you've provided, Megan. It was so heart warming to see your posts (and those of Sandyhall, Peter and Jan). I'm very appreciative and look forward to showing the information to my brother (who has been more successful at digging up records than me.) I've been stuck in nowhereland for months now and it seems like there could be some breaks here. It looks like Elizabeth was a widow after Harold Hardy's death. He was her second husband. I guess John Edgington was a border. I'll continue along here and comment on your other posts.

Hi, Megan, Your point about the certificate is very interesting. I've sent a message to my brother and haven't heard back yet but I don't recall hearing anything definitive about whether we know that Elizabeth was divorced or widowed at this time when she remarried. We'd sort of resigned ourselves to wait for the release of the next census info in the 2020s to find out if Albert F. was till alive, still in Portsmouth or elsewhere etc. A few things I take from this list is that we haven't focussed enough on Charles and Thomas and what happened to their families. There is a bit about Walter E but then the paper trail ends. I've always felt that they might know, from passed down stories, what happened to the different siblings from their grandparents or great grandparent's generations. One thought was that Albert F. was buried in Scotland. But nothing supports this vague recollection. Recently I came across a name on Genes Reunited (Peter Friend, b. 1944) who lists an Albert Fowler Perry on his family tree. But I haven't located him yet or confirmed how he's related.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast