Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allan Cameron

Default Allan Cameron

I am so pleased to be back.Members of the Forum have been a huge help in putting together the male line in my family.
    I have hit a brickwall on my Mothers side.My grandfather arrived from Australia sometime in 1890.He married Gran in 1902 and was identified at the time of his death in 1910 as a Master Builder aged 44 who died of pneumonia and exhaustion.
    The house in which he died was Erceldoon in Central Road, Wembley. Houses without numbers are difficult to locate.My Gran kept the house on after Grandad Allen's death and took in 2 lodgers so the house was not small.
    If anyone could figure out where in Central Road the house could be or could suggest where that information might be found I would be very grateful.As far as his profession is concerned rumour has it that he built an estate in the district,surely somewhere.even in those days Master Builders would be recognised - any help I can get there would be very helpful.
    Its nice to be back in my past research I was known as "Corpachlocheil1".

Starting to feel at home

According to the 1911 census summary it is number 39
    Gill

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

if you go on to something like Google maps and put in 'Central Road Wembley' today's number 39 is very prominently numbered by the three green bins and two blue bins outside it all labelled '39'.

I'm not very good on architecture, so I can't tell if that is the original house, albeit altered/modernised.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

1913 map - see bottom right hand corner

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102352836
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Hi Pam,
    Thank very much,I did Google Central Road Wembley but only to check the environment.The smart bit is turning he house name into a number, must be special magic that is only available to super moderators!
    Thanks again,another brick knocked out of the wall..

Thanks that is very helpful.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Culvennan1 View Post
    Hi Pam,
    Thank very much,I did Google Central Road Wembley but only to check the environment.The smart bit is turning he house name into a number, must be special magic that is only available to super moderators!
    Thanks again,another brick knocked out of the wall..
    I can't claim the credit for finding out the house number. That was Gill in post #2, and with only a surname and a road number I haven't a clue how she did it. But I'm very impressed that she did.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Hi Gill,
    Now I real feel like a thicko!Many thanks.

The Langsdorfs were at No 39 in 1911.

On the enumerator's list No 39 is followed by 4 houses, name only, including Ercoldoon (Cameron). There are no ditto marks to indicate "39" applies to more than one household.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Well there is an anomaly.Allan died in January 1910 at 39 (Ercoldoon) and shortly after Emma Cameron took in 2 lodgers as well as my Mother and Uncle living in the house. It is altogether possible that my Gran could have sold up and moved within a 12 month but it seems a bit unlikely.Probate wasn't granted till the end of March 1910.I am waiting for the will right now Allan had a substantial bank balance.
    Allan died a young man resulting from a fall off a scaffold and broke his ribs which led to pneumonia etc.I am keen to find out more about his building activity,he is rumoured to have built part of Alperton.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast