Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Allan Cameron

I think you may well be right.I don't know how good Brent's Planning archives are and it is rather a long way from Scotland to find out! I think some head scratching on my part is called for.

A fountain of knowledge

Having considered the order in which the enumerator has listed the houses, the architecture and Pam's map findings I tentatively offer Number 16 as the main candidate for Erceldoon. I say tentatively because I cannot locate the last named house 'Hallew', it was between #22 and #28, there is a house, well two houses, there but I'm not sure if it's a conversion or two replacements. The style doesn't quite gel with the others.

On your advice I did take a look on the opposite side of Central Road from39 and I have to say in style and character more like what I would have expected except for 2 properties that stuck out as being either post or pre WW2.Thank you for the depth of your search we may not wind up with the correct house but it is going to be close. I will do some more shovelling in the morning.

A fountain of knowledge

Just found a map surveyed 1957 which shows No. 26 as a detached house with outbuilding alongside. There is no No. 24. https://maps.nls.uk/view/102895036#zo...4596&layers=BT

So present buildings are relatively recent, probably a conversion extending side wing to provide new semi-detached house (#24). Roof and frontage of #26 were probably remodelled as part of conversion hence anomalous appearance.

I'm even more convinced that #16 is Erceldoon.

That is an extraordinary piece of work,thank you so much! I am going to push forward on that basis. I understand that when houses are sold in England now the Land Registry issues a certificate and the deeds are destroyed.If this is true all that history is going to be flushed down the plug hole unless the property is listed. Such a shame.

Default Allan Cameron Master Builder.

I have now got Allan's will and probate.Apparently he had no personal assets but his estate was valued at £2028.Presumable his home EXceldoon would not be regarded as an asset or would it?Allowing for the fact that average houses in 1910 were valued at around £100 that doesn't stack up.Could this be a reference to the estate that my Grandfather built?
    Can any of you knowledgeable folk suggest how I might establish how the valuation of the asset were obtained and who has that file?
    Many thanks.

This thread has gone way beyond "Introduce yourself", so I've moved it to the Middlesex forum.

My mistake - thank you

No need to apologise. You weren't know that your introductory message would bloom as this one has done!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123