Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Allan Cameron

A fountain of knowledge

Mrs Cameron was still living at Ercoldoon in 1911 census enumerators book. It is NOT #39, IMO.
    There are 3males and 2 females in that household.

Thank you so much that is the correct number of folk at that address.It remains to be seen whether that property was knocked down at some point or whether it has indeed got a number. Ercoldoon was quite a sizeable chunk of property with 5 bedrooms at least,presumably Victorian in character.
    The question now is how I find out if the property still exists!

A fountain of knowledge

1911 Census County Middlesex, sub-district Wembley Enumeration district 23

Schedule No 361
    Erceldoon, Central Road, Sudbury, Middlx (Note spelling)

Emma Cameron 34 widow
    Sybil Eileen " 8 daughter
    Stanley ?Rosiefarn? " Son 6

and 2 boarders.

Quote Originally Posted by Culvennan1 View Post
    ...It remains to be seen whether that property was knocked down at some point ...
    I think that is a good possibility. Looking at street view of map the houses beyond #39 are different in style, more reminiscent of 1930s, certainly not the large Victorian houses I would expect.

A fountain of knowledge

Having reviewed the census data again, I'm beginning to wonder if we're looking on the wrong side of the road. There are four houses with names then no.22 then another named house then no 28, 30 etc..

Maybe no 39 was the last odd no. house and then the enumerator went back to the start on the other side. and the early numbers hadn't yet been built.

Looking at the street view there are some Victorian style houses before no. 22 So maybe Erceldoon is still there.

BTW the houses are listed as six rooms including bathroom, so they may be three or four bedroom, although the listed occupants suggest four rooms are definitely being used as bedrooms.
    Last edited by macwil; 07-03-2016 at 1:14 PM. Reason: corrections and additional comment

https://www.brent.gov.uk/media/16403...en-and-now.pdf

Sadly the "then (c.1910)" and "now (2015)" only covers the junction of Central and District Road.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    Having reviewed the census data again, I'm beginning to wonder if we're looking on the wrong side of the road. There are four houses with names then no.22 then another named house then no 28, 30 etc..

Maybe no 39 was the last odd no. house and then the enumerator went back to the start on the other side. and the early numbers hadn't yet been built.

Looking at the street view there are some Victorian style houses before no. 22 So maybe Erceldoon is still there.

BTW the houses are listed as six rooms including bathroom, so they may be three or four bedroom, although the listed occupants suggest four rooms are definitely being used as bedrooms.
    Erceldoon is definitely not what is number 39 today.
    The enumerator's book lists for Central Road:
    house with name, numbers 17, 19, 21, 23, 25, 27, 29, 31, 33, 35, 37 , 39 then four houses with names and no numbers including Erceldoon. It continues with 22, house with name, 28, 30, 32, 34, 36, 38.
    Reading the description of the enumerator's walk it almost reads as if there weren't many houses in Central Road at the time and that they'd been built in the middle of the road (not literally!). Various roads are listed including "Chaplin Road north side 2-76 (even)", and I'm sure I've seen other examples where if only part of a road is in a walk then you get the precise details such as given for Chaplin Road.

The query then is, if only part of Central Road was built up does Erceldoon come after number 39, or is it as macwil suggests, on the other side of the road before number 22?

Pam
    Last edited by Pam Downes; 07-03-2016 at 2:36 PM. Reason: Forgot to list invidual houses and numbers in Central Road.
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Looking at the present day 39, if you swivel left then today's number 22 is at about a 150 degree turn.
    However, looking at the style of it, (the arched porch in particular) I would say that that house was not built before 1911.

Forgot to say in my previous post that house number 19 and 21 and 29 and 31 were uninhabited. Is this perhaps because they were newly built and waiting for someone to move it? Or is it just a coincidence and my imagination is running away with me?

Pam

It's terribly bad etiquette to continually post in a thread without giving anyone a chance to reply but I've been looking at a map dated 1896-1897 on the old-maps.co.uk site.

It show the houses on the north side (i.e. the side of number 39) as being 9 pairs of semi-detached houses, and on the south side (side of number 22) there's what looks like a terrace of six houses, one detached with quite a bit of land to it, two pairs of semi-detached, and one detached.

There's eighteen houses between numbers 17 and 39, so that would seem to indicate that Erceldoon was on the south side of the road.
    You would perhaps need to check the other households along the south side to see how many rooms they had to try and determine which one might be Erceldoon.

A map for 1914 seems to indicate that those were the only houses still along Central Road.

Pam

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by Pam Downes View Post
    You would perhaps need to check the other households along the south side to see how many rooms they had to try and determine which one might be Erceldoon. Pam
    Already done Pam. See post #14
    Quote Originally Posted by macwil View Post
    This applies to Erceldoon and all named houses alongside.

A fountain of knowledge

Sorry should say 'including Kitchen' not bathroom.

and 'Mayfield' the first of the named houses has seven rooms, the others including #22 six

The occupancy quoted only applies to Erceldoon.

Thought I'd better clarify things.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast