Starting to feel at home

Default Watt and Bruce families to New Zealand

Hello Lanarkshire, from Australia

I was overwhelmed by the response to my initial post on B-G Northamptonshire, regarding Sarah Malsbury, and I wonder if someone can help with Travel and Immigration details relating to another side of my family. I can locate nothing on either of the online sites to which I currently subscribe.

I will post an identical request on the B-G Wigtownshire page regarding the other two families who comprise this set of four ancestors.

This is my tentative understanding:

John Swan Watt was born in Glasgow in about 1872, to James Watt and Catherine Swan.

Maggie Bruce was also born in Lanarkshire in about 1872, to David Bruce and Marion Horne.

John Swan Watt and Maggie Bruce married in Otago, New Zealand, on 15 January 1895.

My interest is in learning any details regarding the migration of John Swan Watt and Maggie Bruce to New Zealand between the years approximately 1872 and 1895.

I welcome any advice, please.

Many thanks ... John

janbooth

John,

Maggie BRUCE looks to be in the 1881 census of Kirkdale, Lancashire together with parents David & Marion BRUCE plus 6 siblings living at 48 Tintern? Street (RG11/3677, folio 115, page 48), so gives us a slightly reduced timescale for her entry into Australia/New Zealand.

Can't find any Passenger List records with any certainty at the moment for either her or John Swann WATT. Several records for John WATT with an approximate birthdate of 1871 but nothing to determine whether they are your John Swann WATT or not.

Janet

If you go to the General Scottish Forum HERE, you'll find a collection of posts about doing scottish genealogy. You will be able to get at least 1 more generation without too much trouble:
    Scotlands People (the main source) is a pay to use site, but you can define your search free if it's pre-1875 on Familysearch.com. For example, I see that Maggie was registered as Maggie (not Margaret) and born 4 Apr 1872 in Bridgeton, Lanark. She had brothers, David, (born 29 Apr 1874), Bridgeton and James (18 Jul 1858, Old Monkland) and Marion Howat (31 Mar Bothwell). The 1871 census also shows William b. abt 1865, Pennsylvania!
    Dad's an engine fitter.

If you buy Maggie's birth cert from SP, it will tell you where and when her parents married. If it was 1855 or after, the marriage cert will give you their parents.

Starting to feel at home

G'day, Janet - many thanks. It is remarkable the way that a bit of information here, and a bit there, is nibbling away at the time frames available for travel for all four families mentioned in my two "Scots" requests.
    Much appreciated ... John

Starting to feel at home

Hello Lesley - thank you very much for your comprehensive advice and detailed information regarding Maggie Bruce and her siblings. I will now look at the General Scottish Forum. Although William has little to do with my current project, which is tracing the four families from Scotland to New Zealand, I am easily led into side issues and William's birth in USA is of interest. Yes, Maggie's birth certificate may open up new avenues.
    I am most grateful, thank you again ... John