Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default bmd records from Malta

Hello, My Great, Great Grandmother is described as born in Malta in about 1846. I know her name is Isabella Orton and her father was James Orton. How can I find anything else about her birth records etc. Thank you.

Reputation beyond repute

Can you please provide more information. What's the source of this information? Where does the family come from? What's her father's occupation from the marriage certificate?

Probably a military connection so follow the advice in the National Archives guide

https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...rs-up-to-1913/

You could try the regimental birth index on FMP.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello, I found the lady on the 1881 and 1891 census as married to Hugh Kelly. A cousin of my father confirmed this and told me she was married first to Edward Mullen in Durham, had a child Catherine who died aged 1 or 2. This cousin said Isabella was born in Malta - maybe something to do with the army and that her family bought her a house in Tudhoe, Co Durham - where I found her on the census. I haven't been able to find a marriage to Hugh Kelly anywhere either.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Can you give us a bit more information about Isabel ORTON, a positive sighting on the UK records, census / marriage etc would help.

I have looked at familysearch.org and the relavant records on other sites and cannot just see any records.

Could ORTON be HORTON

Growing old Disgracefully

marriage

Marriages Jun Qtr 1869
    Edward Mullen, Auckland, 10a 305
    Isabella ORTON, Auckland, 10a 305

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi, as Isabella Orton I found her marriage to Edward Mullen 25/4/1969 at St Wilfred RC church Bisphop Auckland co. Durham. She then appears in the 1871 Cenus in Durham as wife to Edward Mullen. In 1881 she appears on the census as married to Hugh Kelly with her eldest son James Kelly aged 7. Edward Mullen died and his father took the body to Ireland to be buried but I can't find a marriage between Hugh Kelly and Isabella. Her first child Catherine Mullen died in 1871.

A couple of Catherine Mullen Births in the area

Births Jun Qtr 1869
    Catherine MUllen, Newcastle T. 10b 19

Births Dec Qtr 1869
    Catherine Mullen Durham 10a 311 (I'd go for this one)

You could also try this death

Deaths Sep Qtr, 1871
    Catherine Mullen, age 1 Easington 10a 292

Quote Originally Posted by McGahonj1 View Post
    Hi, as Isabella Orton I found her marriage to Edward Mullen 25/4/1969 at St Wilfred RC church Bisphop Auckland co. Durham. She then appears in the 1871 Cenus in Durham as wife to Edward Mullen. In 1881 she appears on the census as married to Hugh Kelly with her eldest son James Kelly aged 7. Edward Mullen died and his father took the body to Ireland to be buried but I can't find a marriage between Hugh Kelly and Isabella. Her first child Catherine Mullen died in 1871.
    If you found her in the Census where did it say she was born. Just to confirm

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

On both the 1881 and 1891 census it says she was born in malta. My fathers cousin also told me this (She is 87 but has been right about everything else she has passed on to me!) She mentioned the marriage to Edward Mullen but is adamant that this lady is my Great Great Grandmother. in 1881 and 1891 they lived in Tudhoe, Co Durham.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

From familysearch.org
    Name Edwardum Mullen
    Spouse's Name Isabellam Orton
    Event Date 25 Apr 1869
    Event Place Bishop-Auckland, Durham, England
    Father's Name Gulielmi Mullen
    Spouse's Father's Name Jacobi Orton

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast