11 West Street

James Orton 56 Unton Yorkshire
    Margaret Orton 40 Ireland
    Margaret Orton 15 Scotland
    Elizabeth Orton 13 Devonport
    Louisa Orton 5 Ireland
    Mary J Orton 2 Durham

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Service record for James ORTON on line at FMP. The T&C prevent me form transcribing the same

ORTON JAMES 1815 — 1837 British Army Service Records 1760-1915 Hunton, Richmond, Yorkshire, England

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello,
    If the census record says twice that place of birth is Malta - where would I look to try and find this. On her first marriage certificate her father's occupational is Coal Miner but my fathers cousin mentioned "something with the army" and Malta. The only other information I have is that her fathers name was James Orton. Thank you.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you very much - please explain what FMP is?

Reputation beyond repute

If the census record says twice that place of birth is Malta - where would I look to try and find this.
    The Regimental Registers. You need to know the regiment. Have a look at the record that Geneius found for you (on Findmypast). It seems to tie up with the census record that Geneius provided the reference for.

Apply to the overseas section of GRO stating the name, date range and, most importantly, the regiment.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you very much.

I've been down this track before as I have a military marriage in 19C Malta in my tree.

Borrowed from FamilySearchOrg:
    Malta

"However, in 1996 the Guildhall Library received the main Anglican registers which had been kept at Valletta, Malta, since 1809. These are now at the London Metropolitan Archives (LMA). Copies of several, by the late Mr Kirkpatrick, are at the Society of Genealogists. Malta had surrendered to the British in 1800 and registers for the intervening period were kept by the Military chaplains. Lady Verney copied and Anthony Camp typed and indexed them for the Society. Nevertheless, the Military chaplains on Malta kept quite separate registers of marriages at the Garrison Chapel and three of these, 1812-78, were sent to the Registrar General in the 19th century and are now inaccessible. Archdeacon Hardy’s copies, 1801-92, of these are at Lambeth Palace Library and the entries before 1870 are included in Mr Kirkpatrick’s copies. "

The list of Baptisms by Army Chaplains on the Malta Family History website has a couple of Ortons but not Isabella.
    https://website.lineone.net/~remosliema/baptisms.htm

From another website: "All acts of birth, marriage and death are preserved at the Archives of the Public Registry Office in Malta. "
    However, my server tells me the website of Identity Malta Public Registry is not secure.

Hope this is helpful.

Maybe it would be good to explore this branch to see if there are related (brother, cousin ?)
    These are from our church records :

6 Nov 1828 : Baptism of Elizabeth Orton daughter of Sgt George Orton and Mary, born on 16 October in Malta

ORTON, Mary, married 24th August 1833 to CROZIER, George, Sergeant, 94th Regiment in Malta

15 May 1831 : Baptism George Orton son of Sgt George Orton and Mary, born on 3 May 1831 was baptised privately. He was publicly received into the church on 20 May 1831.

16 Nov 1831: CSgt George Orton aged 34 years was shot dead.

I am looking for info about George ORTON. He is buried in our cemetery, Msida Bastion Garden.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Family History

Quote Originally Posted by Muriel MSIDA View Post
    Maybe it would be good to explore this branch to see if there are related (brother, cousin ?)
    These are from our church records :

6 Nov 1828 : Baptism of Elizabeth Orton daughter of Sgt George Orton and Mary, born on 16 October in Malta

ORTON, Mary, married 24th August 1833 to CROZIER, George, Sergeant, 94th Regiment in Malta

15 May 1831 : Baptism George Orton son of Sgt George Orton and Mary, born on 3 May 1831 was baptised privately. He was publicly received into the church on 20 May 1831.

16 Nov 1831: CSgt George Orton aged 34 years was shot dead.

I am looking for info about George ORTON. He is buried in our cemetery, Msida Bastion Garden.
    Thank you very much, Jane

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast