Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Date this photograph?

Can anybody date this photo to its closest date by clothing

Does the photo have a photographer's name on it? Photographers can often be traced in trade directories..

Hello and welcome to Brit-Gen
    I have given your post a thread of its own in Photographers and old photographs so it doesn't get lost in with another.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hi

I have a picture of my dad in 1906 he is in what we were told was his christening clothes and they are practically the same as the the baby in your picture, when you first look at him you would think he was a little girl he even has shinny little sandals, he is also sitting on a cushion so has to be a couple of months old like your baby.
    I think ladies were wearing porkpie hats around this time, but cant find out if ladies started wearing their skirts a bit shorter at this time
    it could be around 1906 give or take a year or so

Peanut

Starting to feel at home

I just noticed this and the sleeve style and hat was fashionable around 1880s 1890s I studied art/fashion and there are internet drawings available of hat fashion at that time, really dnt know if it helps date your photo but they look like a reasonably well dressed family in Sunday best

A fountain of knowledge

The young woman's jacket has the wider sleeves popular in the 1890s, though still being worn after 1900. I would like to get a magnifying glass on the the back of her skirt, as there seems to be a bit of a tribute to the the bustle, which was low down and small in the 1890s, and by the 1900s tended to be just a fullness at the back of the skirt. The skirt is quite short, and two things strike me about that. It was common for younger girls (teenagers) to wear shorter skirts, and the other thing is that if she had to wash and iron her own skirts, she wouldn't be wearing longer skirts that would drag around in the dust and the mud, but that's a bit of a guess. The girl is quite young, which would perhaps explain the shortness of the skirt if it was a few years old. The other thing I wanted to comment on is that the photo appears to have been taken outdoors. There is a painted curtain as a backdrop, and they seem to be standing/sitting on pavement. So the photograph may have been taken at a fair, perhaps, by a travelling photographer. The average studio would have laid down a rug or a bit of lino. And had a better backdrop.