Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Loves to help with queries

Default St Anne's RC Church, Crumpsall, Manchester

I wonder if anyone can make any suggestions to help me with my search. I have a wedding photo taken at the above church in 1917, the people getting married are my great-uncle Ralph McMullen to wife Hilda Blakey. On the photograph amongst the wedding party are 2 priests. I only have one surviving person who is on the photo and unfortunately he can't remember who they were. I would love to know if they were members of the family and I doubt there are any records of guests but it is worth a post in case anyone can suggest a way????

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by daisynook View Post
    On the photograph amongst the wedding party are 2 priests.
    I would think that this was noteworthy enough for it to have been reported in the local papers.

Your local library may have access on-line.

You could also contact the church and ask if any one connected with the church kept a diary or if a parish magazine was produced at that time. Again I would think the event would be unusual enough to be mentioned.
    Last edited by macwil; 24-02-2016 at 2:41 PM. Reason: additional suggestion

Thank you macwil, both of those suggestions are worth a try.

A fountain of knowledge

Just had another thought. If the priests were connected to the family they may well have performed the ceremony, even if they were not connected to that particular church they may have obtained dispensation to do so. A close examination of the marriage certificate and/or the parish register may be fruitful if that was the case.
    Last edited by macwil; 24-02-2016 at 2:52 PM. Reason: additional suggestion

A fountain of knowledge

Check to see who usually signed the marriage register as having performed the ceremonies around that time. If the signatory/ies are different for this marriage it would suggest they were probably connected to the family.

Famous for offering help & advice

Catholic Directory: St Anne - MANCHESTER, CRUMPSALL

catholicdirectory.org/Catholic_Information.asp?ID=63303

There is an option to email the church from this link,maybe worth asking where the records are.

Thanks very much Pamelawagster for that link. I will email them right away.

Thanks for another good suggestion. I have emailed St Anne's church to see if they can point me in the direction of any records.

lancaster.jim

Hi, Daisynook,

You ask about a wedding in 1917. How old is the person who is on the Photograph?

The Diocese of Salford advises its parish priests that their Parish registers that are no longer required for church purposes should be deposited in the Lancashire Archives in Preston for safe keeping and ease of public access. The Lancashire Archives catalogue of its holdings of church registers is on-line at https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/librari...ers-guide.aspx

The entry for St Anne, Crumpsall (be careful there is another Manchester Catholic St Anne in Ancoats) shows -

MANCHESTER, Crumpsall, St Anne; Diocese of Salford
    C 1947-1963; M 1947-1948, 1951-1954; 1961-1963 Reg rets RCSF 2
    C 1917-1941; M 1919-1941; Copy reg; Microfilm; MF 1/206

This shows that there are no original registers deposited yet in Lancashire Archives. The parish was founded in 1917 so it is possible that the first marriage register was only filled in recent times and is still needed by the church. The copy register on microfilm is a copy made in 1941 was a precaution, a back-up copy, in case the church was damaged by bombing. The Register returns are copies made for the Diocese along the lines of Bishop's Transcripts and may be closed to public access because of their recent dates.

For details of the Catholic marriage entry, you can get them from the church and you have done that already. This entry is a record of the priest's pastoral work and would be signed only by the priest who solemnised the marriage. You may also be able to get a print from the Copy register microfilm by contacting Lancashire Archives, see https://www.lancashire.gov.uk/librari...-research.aspx

Jim Lancaster (Bury, Lancs.)

Famous for offering help & advice

The wedding took place in 1921. Ralph MCMULLEN = Hilda Carmen BLAKEY (lancashirebmd.org.uk)
    Manchester Central Library also hold film of the Parish registers.
    Marriages-1919-1941- MFPR 970. Contact for Manchester archives - [email protected]

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast