chasdobie

Default WALLACE from Carney, Co. Sligo

Nathaniel WALLACE, born 11 May, 1810, in Carney, Co. Sligo, emigrated to Canada in 1834 and settled in Woodbridge, Upper Canada (Ontario). He married Ann (Uninown) who was also from Co. Sligo, in Woodbridge, in 1839. They had 5 sons and 2 daughters, all of whom are well documented in Ontario records. What I really need now is to find out about the Wallace family in Carney, and also to find the maiden name of Ann. Based on names given to their children, connected names are probably CLARKE, FRAZIER, and TUCKER.
    I saw a listing for a Nathaniel Wallace, miller, in a 1740's census for Sligo, so there had been Wallaces in the area for many years. Any information would be most welcome.

The marriage record shows that he married an Ann Wallace (same surname as his) on 9 January 1839 by licence.
    The two witnesses are both James but I am only guessing at their surnames as the writing is terribly thick and squashed
    James Rodes
    James (ends in) Itton?

No parents named.

Someone who is better than me may be able to make sense of it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

chasdobie

Christina,

Many thanks for this! I had always assumed that Ann and Nathaniel Wallace came to Canada before they were married -- a published biography of one of their sons, Nathaniel Clarke Wallace, says they came to Canada a year apart. But you seem to be saying they were married in Ireland. In Ann's "findagrave.com" record (Christchurch Cemetery, Woodbridge, Ontario) there is a note: "Ann's maiden name was either Rose or Hamilton, as they were the witness to their marriage in 1839." Again, I assumed this was further evidence of a Canadian marriage.
    I've never seen Rose or Hamilton used as names for any of their children or grandchildren, so it well may be possible that Ann was born a Wallace. It is interesting however, that the name Clarke carries on for about four generations when the published records stop.
    Where in Sligo were they married?

Many thanks,
    Charlie Dobie.

Hi Charlie
    Sorry I should have said. The marriage took place in Ontario province Canada. Wesleyan Church but I have gone back a couple of pages to find out exactly where but the writing is terrible and at the moment I can't make out exactly where.

I can make out 'Home District" and if you use a search engine typing in Home district Ontario Canada, Wikipedia explains where it was up to 1849 when it was abolished.

Christina
    William Burroughs

It is in the county of York but looking on an old map the name it gives doesn't seem to tally with what I see as being the township.

Christina
    William Burroughs

chasdobie

Christina -- yes "Home District" contained, among others, the county of York. Their marriage may have been listed as being in the Township of Vaughan as well. Basically it boils down to the Village of Woodbridge, where the Wallaces lived for at least 150 years. I believe that Woodbridge was swallowed by the northern expansion of the city of Toronto.

chasdobie

Further to this, I looked at some Familysearch.org records I had ignored before. I see in the IGI someone, somewhere has submitted Thomas Wallis and Martha Clarke from Drumcliff, Sligo, Ireland, with child Nathaniel Wallis, born 1810. This fit's my Nathaniel Wallace's birth year perfectly. But this seems to come out of thin air with no sources. I'll keep it as a guide in my comments for this family.