Thread: Woolley

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Question Woolley

I am Rosemary Woolley and we have been working on this off and on for over ten years. I am stuck in that I am looking for births and marriages in the 1700's in England and find very little that is helpful. I would appreciate any help regarding the Woolley surname.

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello Rosemary,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

I think you'll find that a lot of us are stuck in the 1700s, often because we can't get to local record offices to search the records that aren't online. Then finding that when we do get to the ROs that vital parish registers are missing because they were lost when the church caught fire.

Hopefully the answer already posted to your specific query in another thread will prove helpful.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Rosemary,
    If you are still watching this site please contact me. I am trying to find Woolley family members from the Uppermill/Oldham area. My ggg grandfather was born in 1795 in the Lancashire area but his family was too poor and he was given to a Woolley family that moved to or lived at Uppermill near Oldham. His name was William Carden. Thanks!
    Jerry Carden

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I'm also a Woolley. Most of my family is from Dudley, Barrow-in-furness and chatham.