Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: SARAH MALSBURY

Starting to feel at home

Default SARAH MALSBURY

Hello British-Genealogy Northamptonshire, from Australia
    I admit to being very much a novice at researching my family history. The origin of my three times great grandmother, Sarah Malsbury, eludes me and I am hoping that I have missed something quite basic that more experienced Forum members can assist with, please.
    Sarah married John Dancer at Middleton Cheney on, or about, 12 May 1834. I have a reasonably clear picture of their life from the 1841 Census onward but am completely in the dark regarding Sarah's birth and her parents.
    Evidence indicates that Sarah Malsbury was born in Londonderry, Ireland, about 1816. Apart from Census notations I can find nothing to support this. Indeed PRONI undertook a search on my behalf and found nothing. Malsbury seems to be a traditional Northamptonshire surname and, as PRONI reported, is certainly not Irish.
    I have looked at Military records and cannot locate a British serviceman named Malsbury, or similar, serving in Northern Ireland at about the time of her birth. Passenger lists from the period offer no suggestions.
    John and Sarah Dancer appear to have been grocers or storekeepers at one stage of their lives and I have noticed that a "Malsbury" may have also been engaged in a similar profession in Eydon. I feel that Sarah may in some way be connected to one of the local Malsbury families, but have nothing upon which to base this.
    Does anyone have any thoughts on the birth details, parents and family associated with Sarah Malsbury, please?
    Thank you ... all the best ... John.

Knowledgeable and helpful warncoort's Avatar

I can't see anything that leaps out!Have you used Malmsbury as her surname?Was an obituary published?

janbooth

The actual parish register image of their marriage (available on Ancestry's Northamptonshire Parish records) shows that John DANCER was a bachelor from Eydon, Northants & that Sarah MALSBURY was a spinster of the parish of Middleton Cheney. Both signed their name and there were 6 witnesses none of whom seem to be connected at first glance. I'm not sure Sarah was native to Middleton Cheney as there are no MALSBURY/MALMSBURY baptisms there in the early 1800's according to the Northamptonshire Baptismal Index nor any other MALSBURY/MALMSBURY marriages there in the 1820's, 30's & 40's according to the Marriage Index. I have also searched the Northamptonshire parish register records on Ancestry and have come up with a big zero at Middleton Cheney, so perhaps she was just working there at the time of her marriage.

There are a couple of marriages at Eydon which may perhaps be relevant given that that is where John DANCER came from:

14 June 1827 Richard TEW, widower, of the parish of Woodford & Elizabeth MALSBURY, widow, of this parish, by licence. Both signed and one of the witnesses was a Joseph MALSBURY - a son perhaps.

12 November 1828 William Rufus USHER bachelor of Boddicott (Bodicote in Oxfordshire) & Elizabeth MALSBURY spinster of this parish. By licence and both signed.

Janet

Knowledgeable and helpful

It could be worthwhile getting the details of the marriage licence bonds; there could be extra information such as ages or occupations. Given that both of the latter couples are literate, wills might also be worth checking up on. Can you find either Elizabeth Tew or E. Usher on 1851 census, to see what their birthplaces are? Often a formed family moved into a parish and although you don't get any baptisms in that place, you do get marriages and burials. Thus it is worth seeing if you can put together a family group. A bunch of needles is always easier to find in the haystack than a single one. pwholt

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, warncoort, for this. Yes, I have tried many variations, Malmsbury, Malsburg, Melsbury, to name a few, plus others more obscure. I appreciate your prompt assistance. Many thanks ... John

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, pwholt, for your prompt and helpful response. Whilst I have an image of the marriage licence, as described by Janet in her post, I would be very interested in locating Banns, if indeed they exist. Your suggestion regarding the families of Tew and Usher is certainly worth pursuing. Again, many thanks ... John

Knowledgeable and helpful

As they married by licence, there won't be banns. It is one or the other. pwholt

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, Janet, for your prompt and comprehensive response. I agree that the 6 witnesses do not appear to be immediately connected, but feel that among the three men and three women named there may be a lead. All appear to have been literate, apart from Margaret Tucker / Tuckey (?). Perhaps one or two may have even been workmates of Sarah, but I believe that records from this period are extremely rare.
    As mentioned in my reply to pwholt, I will seek further information on the Tew / Usher families.
    I wonder if Sarah was, indeed, born in Northern Ireland? Was she illegitimate, born to a Malsbury father and unknown mother ... or an unknown father to a Malsbury mother? Was she adopted into the Malsbury clan? I have even considered that she may have been a Northern Irish girl widowed at an early age to a Malsbury. As she was only 18 at the time of her marriage to John Dancer I think this is unlikely. (By the way, when I write "Malsbury", I am considering many variations).
    I am pretty well stumped at this point in time but will continue in the hope that one small piece of obscure information will lead to a breakthrough.
    Thank you again for your kind assistance ... John

Starting to feel at home

Oops, thanks, my lack of experience and knowledge is showing ... greatly appreciated .... John

janbooth

The Elizabeth MALSBURY who married William Rufus USHER appears in the 1851 & 1861 census records of Bodicote and gives her dob as c1812 at Bugbrooke, Northamptonshire. Looking through the Bugbrooke register shows the baptism of an Elizabeth MAULSBURY daughter of Richard & Catharine on 23 June 1811 having been born on 22 May of that year. A brother Joseph baptised 10 October 1813 son of Richard & Catharine MAULSBURY, Farmer, so whether these are anything to do with your Sarah is a moot point.

There is a burial of a Thomas MALSBURY at Eydon on 28 April 1823, aged 44, giving him a birthdate of c1779, who could perhaps be relevant. Searching through the census records for an MALSBURY or variants born in Ireland 10 years either side of Sarah's birthdate brings up absolutely nothing! Had you noticed that the 1861 census of Eydon shows Sarah's birthplace to be Londonderry and this is the only census record to state an actual place of birth in Ireland. Not that I can find any trace of a birth/baptism there for Sarah online either.

Janet

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast