Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: SARAH MALSBURY

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, Dundee 10, for this reminder. Yes, the Researcher at PRONI did mention the fact that a large number of records have been lost. This may also apply to records from the broader search initiated by your suggestion to consider William MALSBRY - let's see what eventuates. I am so happy to have your information.
    The name William Malsbury, soldier, born Northampton about 1787, has also been offered (thank you, Marilyn), so the Military option is now my immediate line of enquiry, although all avenues of thought are very much alive.
    All the best ... John

janbooth

You have a choice of two baptisms for a William MALSBURY born c 1787 in Northamptonshire from the Baptismal Index, John, both at Moreton Pinkney. William baptised 3 June 1786 son of William & Elizabeth MALSBURY & William baptised 13 January 1788 son of John & Hannah MALSBURY. Neither appear on the Burial Index up to 1812.

Janet

janbooth

John,

I don't know if this is the information that Marilyn found for you, but Ancestry have the Canada British Regimental Registers of Service record for a William MALSBURY. He enlisted in the 72nd Foot Soldiers at Kinsale (I think that is correct), which is in County Cork, on 15 November 1813 for Life. He was aged 26, 5' 10" tall, fair complexion, hazel eyes, brown hair, born Morton, Northamptonshire, a Labourer, transferred in 1816 (I think, as it is between an August date & a July date, both 1816) to the 85th Regiment.

Another record for him (Wm MALSBERRY) dated 2 September 1807 when he enlisted for 7 years in the 72nd Foot Soldiers, at aged 20, born Morton, Northamptonshire, a Labourer, with a note that he re-enlisted for life and was transferred to the 85th Regt. Yet another record for him dated 25th August 1816 when he attested at Chatham for an unlimited period, aged 29, having been promoted to Corporal on 25 March 1809 and to Sergeant on 25 December 1813. It also shows that he was deceased on 31 January 1828 at Guernsey.

He does sound a likely candidate, doesn't he, especially given that he was in Ireland when he re-enlisted.

There is also am 1841 World Wide Army Index record for a William MALSBURY a Drummer in the 85th Foot in Montreal which presumably is William jnr.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Yes, Janet, this is the man suggested by Marilyn. Due to the overwhelming response and variety of suggestions from yourself and others on British-Genealogy I have renewed my subscription to Ancestry and have obtained some of the details you have outlined.

I am very new to "serious research" but have dropped in and out of subscription services for the past couple of years and have undertaken some "soft" basic research. Whilst these services open up access to a wealth of information - BDM, Census, Military, Migration, etc. - I am most disappointed with the "cut and paste" approach which is often evident in Public Family Trees, with error upon error compounded via repetition. Hence my decision to post my request for information from "outside the square" - and I have been very kindly rewarded.

Looking further at William Malsbury, he appears to have been admitted into the Chelsea Pensioners on 18 September 1855. Your information is more complete than that which I found but I think we now have a fair picture of this man's life, notwithstanding the question: Did he die at Guernsey in 1828 or did he live on and see out his life from age 68 as a Chelsea Pensioner? Both William and his son appear to have served in the 85th Foot so I may have them confused.

If we couple your findings with those of Dundee 10, who offered a marriage between William Malsbry (sic) and Elizabeth Gother in 1813 in County Cork, and the baptism of their son, William, in Liverpool, in December 1817, we seem to have a marriage and a male child. Still no sign of Sarah, but she could certainly have been born in Ireland in say. 1815 or 1816.

I agree that he is a likely candidate - the most likely of all at this moment, but I need to be convinced. I will attempt to pursue the movements of the 72nd and 85th Foot Regiment in Ireland, the port of Liverpool and, perhaps, Weedon Barracks.

As previously, thank you so much for your interest and great assistance. All the best ... John

Dundee10

Quote Originally Posted by Dundee10 View Post
    Some random finds which may be related to each other.

The subscription sites have indexed a marriage in 1813 between William MALSBRY and Elizabeth GOTHER, Diocese of Cork & Ross, County Cork, Ireland (Ireland Diocesan and Prerogative Marriage Licence Bonds indexes 1623-1866)

Lancashire OPC have a baptism in December 1817 at Liverpool for a William MALSBURY, son of William and Elizabeth. Father William is a soldier in the 83rd Regiment.

https://www.lan-opc.org.uk/Search/indexp.html
    I would want to check the original documents for both these events. The first may offer more information and the regiment number needs to be checked on the baptism.

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, Dundee 10, I am checking further. I have been advised that William junior was admitted to the 85th regiment, aged about 13, in July 1929, a few months after his father's death.
    This leads me to correct a question that I posed to janbooth in my response yesterday. It seems that I have, indeed, confused William Malsbury and William junior.
    The problem with a steep learning curve is that it is easy to fall off ...
    Again, my great appreciation ... John

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sarah Malsbury - I am no help unless - could there be a play on words?
    Could Sarah, at a young age confused Eydon for Ireland, and Londonderry added as an afterthought?
    A Malsbury birth in Ireland seems unlikely as Londonderry suggests the suggests a military presence.
    Thomas Malsbury's second wife was Elizabeth Birch Folwell.
    Thomas died when Sarah was 7. Do you have any idea when Elizabeth died?
    She may have remarried. This thought just came to me as I write this and I will check further.
    Sarah could have been their daughter and could have been "farmed" out, having little knowledge of her birthplace.
    In reference to other contributions, I do have the Tew and Usher relationships to the Malsbury family sorted out,
    should you be interested. -Byng

Starting to feel at home

Thanks, Byng - I seemed to have reached an impasse with my 3xGG, Sarah, around 6 months ago and it is wonderful to know that this thread is still alive.
    As strange as it may seem, I too, contemplated the somewhat bizzarre thought that Sarah (or a Census scribe) may have confused "Eydon" and "Ireland", but I think not, in spite of the many instances of the surname "Malsbury" occuring in Northamptonshire and possibilities such as the one you mention.
    The Military strand has emerged as my favoured line of investigation - you will see strong evidence of this in several earlier posts from extraordinarily generous contributers as this story unfolded - but nothing is certain and my mind is always open.
    Thank you also for your kind offer as I would be very interested in learning more of the Malsbury / Tew / Usher relationships, please.
    All the very best ... John

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Dear John,
    I do believe that you are on the correct path. So far, I have copied all the information on this forum concerning William and
    his military service. It may take me some time to digest this. I went much to fast sending my first reply.
    Most Malsbury's are found to be from Northampton and my confirmed family came from Sulgrave. Your William most likely came from Moreton Pinkney, by Google maps, only 4 miles away. We are likely very distantly related. My grandmother was a Malsbury. The Sulgrave Malsbury's may have come from Moreton Pinkney as well.
    I am sure that any information on the Tew & Usher families will not help with your search for Sarah. Should you wish it, anyway,
    I will send you my e-mail address as there is too much information to put on this forum. My Usher file alone is 11 pages long.
    I save all my family information, indexed with Excel and detailed with Word. The value of unrelated Malsbury lines is it helps by removing those possibilities when searching. All the best, Byng

Starting to feel at home

Hello again, Byng
    I am very grateful to you for your interest and for the effort you are offering to narrow down the possible "William Malsbury - Military" lineage in my search for the parents of my 3xGG, Sarah. Wiliam's possible Moreton Pinkney birth, his Military service, his possible Irish marriage, the birth of child named William jnr in Liverpool about a year after Sarah's approximate birth date, his later association with Weedon barracks, his death a few years prior to Sarah's marriage to John Dancer, William jnr's Military service ... nothing concrete, but tantalising in their possibilities.
    You are quite correct in that your research into the Tew and Usher families will provide no great assistance to me in my search for Sarah and as you have already gone through the process of defining the unrelated lines it is of peripheral interest only. However, if it is convenient, I would sometime like to see it, please. The thought that a we may be distantly related via the Malsbury line is of great interest as I am reasonably well acquainted with the Dancer side but know nothing of the Malsburys.
    A short time ago I discovered a long out of print book by S J Tyrrell (born 1889) - "A Countryman's Tale" - in which he traces the history of Eydon from pre 19th century through its people. If you can locate a copy (try Abe Books online) I am certain that you will find it of interest.
    All the best ... John

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast