Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Default ROWLAND/s (JONES) GLAMORGAN

ROWLAND/s GLAMORGAN (INC TONYREFAIL, DINAS etc)

I would like to hear from/find out about my family inc descendants - I am in process of adding the info
    I have so far to my ANC tree. I will work backwards

My late paternal gf was HENRY ROWLANDS born 1875 Tonyrefail NB I believe he, his siblings and Father
    were RowlandS but that he dropped the S when he shared an office with a cousin with the same christian and surnames.

His parents were DAVID born 1847 Tonyrefail area, who married Rebecca Davies of Tonyrefail.
    His siblings were Annie born 1873 who married Richard Jones from North Wales. Maria/Minnie born 1873 who married John H Richards and Evan John born 1884 who married Sarah Lewis. As far as I know,
    only my gf Henry had children and all lived in Tonyrefail although my gf moved to Cardiff to work.
    I know of this generation.

I am particularly keen to find out about the children of David and Ann, as below:

My g gf DAVID ROWLANDS was one of about 12 children born to ROWLAND ROWLANDS born 1821 Llandovery who married Ann Williams born c1822 Morriston. Their children who I believe were all born
    and lived in the Tonyrefail/Dinas area were

Adelaide Rowlands 1844–1912
    Thomas Rowlands 1846–1857
    DAVID Rowlands 1847–1915
    Henry Rowlands 1849–
    Hopkin Rowlands 1851–
    Esther Rowlands 1853–1900
    John Rowlands 1855–1933
    Mary Ann Rowlands 1857–1865
    Mary Rowlands 1858–
    Margaret Rowlands 1860–
    Gwen Rowlands 1863–1927

Just to finish off all I know, Rowland Rowlands was the son of THOMAS ROWLANDS born c1783 who was one of three brothers who moved from Caio (Near Llandovery) to the Rhondda. He died 1844 with two
    of his sons in the Dinas Middle Pit explosion which is seemingly well documented.

I look forward to hearing from someone!
    with thanks
    Jill Rowland (no s!)

Allan F Sparrow

I did a little work on the Rowlands family a year or two ago when I was looking into Welsh colliery explosions, using the Welsh Newspapers Online site, which you may useful: but perhaps you already know it. I was looking at Moses Rowland (b.c.1822) and his son Moses R Rowlands, born 1844, and did not come across your David – which shows that I did not carry on this enquiry for very long!

Do you have the census entries for the family? I have a few recorded, but they may not be any use to you. I have a census for Moses the elder in 1851 and 1861, one for a cousin (I thought) Morgan Rowlands in 1851, and a string for the younger Moses from 1871 to 1911. If these can be useful, let me know.

It seemed to me that this family (like many others at that time) was constantly reusing the same first names, and with cousins of much the same age bearing the same name, I found it easy to get confused.

Don't know whether you have these. No S on name

Rowland Rowland
    Born 25 May 1821
    Baptism Date - 19 Jun 1821
    Baptism at Tabernacle Chapel Queen Street-Calvinistic Methodill, Llandovery, Carmarthen, Wales
    Father - Thomas Rowland
    Mother - Margreat Rowland
    FHL Film Number - 0828108 (RG4 3831)

On the Findagrave site. He has a lovely headstone but as it is in Welsh I have no idea what it says.
    Rowland Rowland
    Birth 1821
    Died Nov 1871
    Cemetery - Siloam Welsh Chapelyard
    Burial or Cremation Place Trehafod, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales

Siblings of Rowland
    Anne Rowland
    Born Nov 1818
    baptized 7 Dec 1819
    Tabernacle Chapel Queen Street-Calvinistic Methodill, Llandovery, Carmarthen
    FHL Film Number 0828108 (RG4 3831)

Esther Rowland
    born 16 Sep 1824
    Baptised 17 Oct 1824
    Tabernacle Chapel Queen Street-Calvinistic Methodill,Llandovery,Carmarthen,Wales
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hopkin Rowlands, age 81, died Nov 24th 1832, buried at Capel-y-Ton Calvinistic Methodist

It appears Hopkin never married and in 1911 was living with his unmarried sister Margaret. Their address was 77 Collenna Road, Hopkin was a School Attendance Officer

In 1901 Hopkin and his sister Margaret were living at 21 Collenna Road with Hopkin's nephew, Hopkin J Rowlands age 6 (possibly Margaret's son?) Next door at number 20 is a Henry Rowlands and wife Mary with a son Rowland age 25.

In 1891 Collenna Rd is Hopkin and sister Margaret; 1881, Collenna Road Hopkin, Margaret and sister Esther

Margaret Rowlands age 90, died 24th Feb 1950, buried Capel-y-Ton Calvinistic Methodist
    Alma

There's a school admission record for a Hopkin D Rowlands born 25 Dec 1891, Tonyrefail Infants School admitted 1896, father Henry of Collenna Rd.

And a burial for Hopkin David Rowlands born 1891, 30th Dec 1898, Capel-y-Ton Calvinistic Methodist

Also a burial for Henry Rowlands born 1850, 16th Feb 1911, Capel-y-Ton Calvinistic Methodist
    Alma

England & Wales, National Probate Calendar (Index of Wills and Administrations)

Hopkin Rowlands, of 77 Collenna Rd, Tonyrefail died 24 Nov 1832, probate Llandaff 5 Jan to Daniel Rowland Morgan, schoolmaster and Richard Owen Jones surface foreman, effects £453
    Alma

Allan F Sparrow

This thread is already fascinating, and illustrates the truth of the point I made in my first post about cousins causing confusion, as some of the records found seem to contradict the tentative tree I had created

These are the census entries which I referred to, just in case they might be somehow relevant:-

1851 Census: Dinas Cottages, Llantrisant
    Morgan Rowland, 34, Blacksmith, born Penderin, Brecknockshire
    Mary Rowland, wife, 33, born Llantwit Vardre, Glamorganshire
    Esther Rowland, daughter, 11, scholar, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Moses Rowland, son, 9, scholar, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Elizabeth Rowland, daughter, 6, scholar, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Evan Rowland, son, 3, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Catharine Rowland, daughter, 0, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire

1851 Census: Graig Dder Cottages, Dinas, Llantrisant
    Moses Rowland, 22, coalminer, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire }
    Rowland Rowland, brother, 29, coalminer, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire } all said to be unmarried!
    Ann Rowland, sister, 20, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire }
    Moses Rowland, nephew, 7, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Elizabeth Rhys, grandmother, widow, 85, pauper, born Ystradyfodwg, Glamorganshire

1861 Census: Llangendeirne, Carmarthenshire
    Rowland Rowlands, 39, Colliery agent, born Glamorganshire
    Ann Rowlands, wife, 35, born Merthyr, Glamorganshire
    Moses Rowlands, son, 17, Accountant, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire

1871 Census: Brynffynnon, Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Moses Rowlands, 27, born Glamorganshire
    Sephora Rowlands, wife, 25, born Glamorganshire (marriage of Moses & Zipporah Foster 1865 [Q4 Pontypridd])
    Rowland Rowlands, son, 2, born Glamorganshire
    Mary Jane Phillips, servant, 14, born Carmarthenshire

1881 Census: Williamstown, Llantrisant
    Moses R. Rowlands, 37, Colliery manager, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Sephora Rowlands, wife, 35, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Rowland Rowlands, son, 12, born Ystradyfodwg, Glamorganshire
    Moses Rowlands, son, 9, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Gwilym Rowlands, son, 6, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Sephora Rowlands, daughter, 1, born Llantrisant, Glamorganshire
    Mary Ann Williams, servant, 19, born Merthyr Tydfil, Glamorganshire

1891 Census: Danygraig House, Williamstown, Llantrisant
    Moses R. Rowlands, 47, Colliery manager, born Glamorganshire
    Sephora Rowlands, wife, 45, born Glamorganshire
    Rowland Rowlands, son, 22, student of law, born Ystradyfodwg, Glamorganshire
    Moses Rowlands, son, 19, Quarry foreman, born Glamorganshire
    Gwilym Rowlands, son, 16, student, born Glamorganshire
    Sephora Rowlands, daughter, 11, scholar, born Glamorganshire
    Charles Frank Rowlands, 9, scholar, born Glamorganshire
    Susannah Mary Rowlands, 5, scholar, born Glamorganshire
    Elizabeth Merrett, servant, 28, born Monmouthshire

1901 Census: Esplanade, Porthcawl
    Moses R. Rowlands, widower, 57, Mining engineer, born Dinas, Glamorganshire
    Rowland Rowlands, son, 29, born Penygraig, Glamorganshire
    Sophie Rowlands, daughter, 21, born Penygraig, Glamorganshire
    Leonel C. Madlands, visitor, 20, born London
    Lilian Shirtliff, visitor, 20, born London
    Elizabeth Williams, servant, 25, born Treoky, Glamorganshire

1911 Census: Beach View, Victoria Avenue, Porthcawl (parish Newton Nottage)
    Rowlands, widower, 67, Mining engineer, born Dinas, Glamorganshire

Moses R. Rowlands: Died 1924 [Q2 Bridgend] aged 80
    Moses Rowland Rowlands: Buried 19th April 1924 at Newton Nottage

Coming back to the original post:
    The reports I saw on the Dinas explosion of 1844 did not name any of the dead, but they may be available elsewhere.

A Rowland Rowlands aged 50, collier, was killed in the Middle Duffryn explosion of 1852, while a David Rowlands, age not given, survived, but with head injuries which prevented him from giving evidence to the coroner; the newspapers did not report whether he recovered, as far as I saw.

I look forward to reading further contributions

https://www.healeyhero.co.uk/rescue/W...tml#Dinas-1844

The above has Thomas Rowland died age 61, and a David Rowlands died age 9.

And this site also has a John Rowland age 14

https://www.dmm.org.uk/uknames/u1844-01.htm
    Alma

A fountain of knowledge

THANKS! I can't thank you enough for all the contributions which is absolutely wonderful and very much appreciated!

As Allan quite rightly points out both christian and surnames are repeated and one needs a very clear head to not lose the plot.
    My gf had made a start on a tree and I lost a lot of time looking for people with the name bach until I was told it is welsh
    for - so I believe - little ie the son of someone with the same name!
    I started work on this side of my famiy ie my Father when he was alive several years ago and haven't worked on it since
    but it is very complicated. My first thought was to put my line on this site to see if descendants turn up but I know one of
    these days I will have to get out the charts I have and study more closely. It is a very very extended family. At that time I
    was put in touch with several people but as I said in my initial email I am descended from one of three brothers from Caio
    namely Thomas and, as Allan has realised, Moses is not my line but I am very happy to receive information on anyone!

In the Dinas Middle Pit explosion of 1.1.1844 as Almach has found, Thomas (where I started) was killed age 61 and two of his sons John 14 and David 9.

ALLAN you have done a lot of work typing out the census info and that is very good of you. You can always send me a pm
    for me to give you my email if there is anything else you think I might find helpful.

ALMACH What you have found for Hopkin is wonderful, thanks! Is this all on ANC - I'm not a member.
    CHRISTANEL - as for Almach is this on Anc?

with thanks to you all
    Jill

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    ALLAN you have done a lot of work typing out the census info and that is very good of you.
    It was just a copy and paste from the notes which I had kept, actually . I had been meaning to go back to the family, but I got deep into Suffolk families instead: that's where my Sparrow family came from. But I'm Welsh on my mother's side, that's why I was researching Welsh collieries, in which some of the Rowlands played a major part. So I knew what "bach" meant!

It's an illustration of the extended family problem that the Moses R. Rowlands who was born in 1844 was a son of a Rowland Rowlands born about 1821/22 (and died 1894), which seemed close to one of the people you mentioned in your origianl post.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast