Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Just found this

WW11 medals issued to Merchant Seamen 1939 - 1945
    Evan John Rowlands born 28 Apr 1884
    Service 1939-1945
    Discharge number 428840

He also served in the Merchant navy in WW1receiving a medal.

Can be downloaded only at The National Archives site for a fee of 3 pounds 45 pence

So who is this man? I see there are two births for men of this name in June 1/4 1884. One in Pontypridd and one in Anglesey

There is an Evan John Rowlands born 1884 returning to England in 1929 from Durban SA and has the occupation-marine engineer so possibly the man who served in WW11

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks again ALMACH AND CHRISTANEL - Thanks for looking for EVAN JOHN'S 1STWW RECORD. He died in 1929 so yours 21 can't be him but could be him in 19 - I don't have enough to go on ie exact dob or address
    Thanks
    Jill

Rhondda Leader, 22 July 1905

"RHONDDA COUNTY SCHOOL PORTH - Old pupil's Success in the University College of Wales
    Several of the old boys and girls have done exceedingly well in the University Colleges this year:- ...; Evan John Rowland (Tonyrefail), BA with second class honours in Latin, at Aberystwyth University College. He won a scholarship and exhibition of the value of £50 per annum three years ago upon his leaving school; ...".

I think you'll find him on the 1911 Census, in Carmarthen, aged 26.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Knowledgeable and helpful

Had a quick look at the Findagrave link – some of the letters and numbers have fallen off the headstone (hence ???) but here's what my O Level Welsh makes of it:

In memory of
    Rowland Rowland
    Pen?hiwfer (Probably Penrhiwfer – where he lived?)
    Who died on the 8th of November 187?
    51 years old
    Also Ann his wife who died
    on the 15(?)th December 1871
    49 years old
    Also Mary Ann their daughter
    who died on 22nd April 186?
    8 years old
    He that does the will of God stays forever (nearest I can get)

Allan F Sparrow

From what I have been looking at this afternoon, the death and burial of this Rowland actually occurred in November 1872, and the death registration was 1872 4th qtr Pontypridd. According to fmp, his age was given as 51 on both the burial and the death records. (Not that I have complete faith in fmp transcriptions, far from it, from experience.)

I have been doing a lot of searching on this family today, but I shall not post any more here until I have sent a PM to the OP.

A fountain of knowledge

Again an enormous thanks to the info coming in which is wonderful.

HELACHAU The School/University info for Evan John is a great help.I don't have the 1911 Censu Carmarthen but knew that:
    "1911 a boarder in Carmarthen at 4 Waterloo Road age 26 Teaching"

SQUARE DANCER AND ALLAN re ROWLAND ROWLANDS yES HE DIED 1872 - Presumably this is the entry Christnal found
    for Burial at Trehafod, Rhondda. I have him down as being buried at Jeferllion from family notes but that seems to be welsh for something as I can't find that place!
    Thanks Jill

"Jefferllion" - this is an attempt to capture "Gyfeill(i)on".

From the translation of David Rowland's tribute (teyrnged) in the 1915 "Goleuad (sent you earlier today) you will have seen David was born "Cyfellion (Hafod) near Pontypridd". Rowland Rowland's monumental inscription mentions the "Parish of Trehafod".

https://maps.nls.uk/view/102342532

Click on the link above. When the map appears click on the "+" sign top left hand corner until you can spot "Hopkinstown" - just left of Pontypridd.

"Gyfeillon" and "Trehafod" are just to the left of Hopkinstown

Allan F Sparrow

Just to bring things up to date: I'm sending my results from today's search direct to the OP. They amount to a string of census entries from 1841 to 1901 in which one can see (some of) her family by generations from Thomas through Rowland to David and his family.
    So we're on our way, but it was hard work! I needed Anc, FMP and FamilySearch, as well as the stuff Christina found, to get a complete series...

Allan

A fountain of knowledge

HELACHAU The explanation of Jeferllion is very helpful and so too is the link - thanks very much.

ALLAN Have just received the information which is brilliant and incredibly kind of you. I note that you too couldn't find
    the family in the 1911 census which is very odd - I was just attempting to find this on the free Search on Anc this weekend.
    ie Tonyrefail David and Rebecca Rowland/s with their four children inc my gf Henry

Thanks!
    Jill

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast