Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    A fountain of knowledge

Thanks again Allan. I have just sent you a pm with my email. Am I correct that your interest is in Welsh colleries
    as opposed to the Rowland families, ie you "stumbled" across them in your research? I remember at the time getting
    very muddled with the Moses side, more than likely because it's not my direct line so I haven't studied in depth.

A fountain of knowledge

CHRISTANEL
    REF YOURS 3 - IF NOT TOO MUCH TROUBLE PLEASE WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO COPY AND PASTE the inscription
    or give me the site so I can attempt to! I'm not welsh speaking but no doubt can find someone who could translate.

On the Findagrave site. He has a lovely headstone but as it is in Welsh I have no idea what it says.
    Rowland Rowland
    Birth 1821
    Died Nov 1871
    Cemetery - Siloam Welsh Chapelyard
    Burial or Cremation Place Trehafod, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by gilian rowland View Post
    Thanks again Allan. I have just sent you a pm with my email.
    Received and answered.

Am I correct that your interest is in Welsh colleries
    as opposed to the Rowland families, ie you "stumbled" across them in your research?
    In a word, yes, but I have moved on, and would be willing to take another look at the Rowlands family, if I can help.

Have you checked Welshnewspapers on line https://newspapers.library.wales

I've had a quick check for David Rowland and Henry Rowland and found several items.There's a wonderful tribute - in Welsh - to a David Rowland, Tonyrefail in the Goleuad, 26 Aug 1915. This David died 1 August, age 67 and the year/age fits the year of death mentioned earlier in this post. I can translate for you if required.

Other examples - Henry is mentioned being called to the bar in 1915 and a son born 1917 in Dinas Powis?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

A fountain of knowledge

Thanks again ALLAN

HELACHAU Thanks so much for your posting. Please see my comments in your text:

"Have you checked Welshnewspapers on line https://newspapers.library.wales"

***** No I wasn't aware of this site - is is members only?

I've had a quick check for David Rowland and Henry Rowland and found several items.There's a wonderful tribute - in Welsh - to a David Rowland, Tonyrefail in the Goleuad, 26 Aug 1915. This David died 1 August, age 67 and the year/age fits the year of death mentioned earlier in this post. I can translate for you if required.

***** That is wonderful to know about. David who died 1915 was my g gf - translation and copy would be marvellous.

Other examples - Henry is mentioned being called to the bar in 1915 and a son born 1917 in Dinas Powis?

***** Henry called to the Bar in 1915 was my gf and my Father was the son born 1917 Dinas Powis.

My gf Henry's family first language was welsh but also spoke English which I believe was quite unusual. He was
    working as a Clerk in a colliery when it was noticed that as well as speaking two languages he had very good handwriting
    and it was suggested to him that he should try to avoid going down the mines. So after work he taught himself Latin and Greek
    to become a Barrister when as you have found, he was called to the Bar in 1915. He then worked for Glamorgan Council
    where I understand that he shared an office with a cousin with the same name so my gf dropped the s from our surname.

EVAN JOHN ROWLANDS born 1884 died 1929 - my gf Henry's brother = parents David and Rebecca Rowlands. Tonyrefail.

Curiosity is getting the better of me and I wonder if anyone is able to find record of his 1stWW service? My Father and Uncle
    recalled that he suffered from poor health and at outbreak of WWI, was rejected on medical grounds. However, as the War progressed and the demand for men increased was eventually accepted in c1917, sent to the Western Front but soon invalided out. Neither my Father or Uncle met him and said that Evan John had died just after the War so were very surprised when
    I found death was 1929. NB Not to be confused with an Evan Rowland Jones - another side of the family! I'd very much like
    to know when he joined up and if in fact he was invalided out "shortly afterwards".
    with thanks
    Jill

A fountain of knowledge

BURIALS

If not too silly a question what does "married as died" mean? ie

GWEN b17.3.1863 Porth Pontypridd d1.6.1927 (64?) married as died Rev Clement Evans
    buried CM Chapel Tonyrefail

The newspaper site is free. Just click on link, put "david rowland" in search field (include the " " - important)and use date slider bar to limit search to 1915. Or simply search on "david rowland" and then use "filters" to select year.

The tribute is a rather lengthy piece so will take some time. I will send a Private message when ready.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

CHRISTANEL
    REF YOURS 3 - IF NOT TOO MUCH TROUBLE PLEASE WOULD YOU BE ABLE TO COPY AND PASTE the inscription
    or give me the site so I can attempt to! I'm not welsh speaking but no doubt can find someone who could translate.
    On the Findagrave site. He has a lovely headstone but as it is in Welsh I have no idea what it says.
    Rowland Rowland
    Birth 1821
    Died Nov 1871
    Cemetery - Siloam Welsh Chapelyard
    Burial or Cremation Place Trehafod, Rhondda Cynon Taff, Wales
    Findagrave.com is a free site and can be found by using a search engine. Here is the page you need

If you go to the home page and just type in the Rowland surname there are quite a few results. Whether any of them are your line I didn't investigate.

You could do a loose translation yourself by using google translate.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

EVAN JOHN ROWLANDS born 1884 died 1929 - my gf Henry's brother = parents David and Rebecca Rowlands. Tonyrefail.
    Curiosity is getting the better of me and I wonder if anyone is able to find record of his 1stWW service? My Father and Uncle recalled that he suffered from poor health and at outbreak of WWI, was rejected on medical grounds. However, as the War progressed and the demand for men increased was eventually accepted in c1917, sent to the Western Front but soon invalided out.

There is a pension record for a Evan John Rowland 2235 1/5Welsh regiment but absolutely no indication if this your man. I can't even see a birthdate for him. However he signed up in 1/9/1914 and was demobbed in 1919 so if your information is correct this can't be your man.
    The address given at discharge was 9 Coronation Terrace Merthyr Rd Pontypridd

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

ALMACH What you have found for Hopkin is wonderful, thanks! Is this all on ANC - I'm not a member.
    From more than one pay site, but mostly from Ancestry.
    Alma

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast