Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Robert CARROLL born in Kingston Jamaica 1832

My 3 x great grandfather, Robert Carroll sailed to Melbourne Australia aboard the Glentanner and arrived on 27 September 1853. On his Wedding Certificate, it states his father's name as John Carroll and his mother as Catherine Brown. Does anyone have Robert in their Family Tree, and if so, can you give me any information about his life prior to leaving Jamaica? He was a dark skinned man and educated. Thanking you in anticipation. Debra

Hello Debra, I cannot help with Robert's life before he arrived in Australia but did you see this baptism of a possible sibling?

Name Amelia Carrol
    Gender Female
    Birth Date 08 May 1846
    Birthplace Kingston, Surrey, Jamaica
    Father's Name John Carrol
    Mother's Name Cathrine Brown Carrol

You may have this info, but in case not
    Australian Town and Country Journal Saturday 20 December 1884
    Judge Higinbotham has accepted the petition .
    for the divorce of Robert Carroll, of Ballarat, a carrier, from his wife Emily. The co-respondent was Josiah. Gregory. Robert and Josiah were fellow Sunday school teachers in the "Wesleyan ' Church/ Ballarat, and the result of their friendship was that his wife eloped and had lived with / the co-respondent since 1877, and several children had been born
    Alma

Also:
    Leader (Melbourne, Vic. : 1862 - 1918) Saturday 27 June 1885
    In the Matrimonial Court on Monday Mr. Justice Holroyd granted a decree nisi in the action Carroll v. Carroll. This was a suit brought by the husband, Robert Carroll, a West Indian, against his wife, Emily Carroll, a half-caste, for dissolution of marriago on the ground of her adultary with one Josiah Gregory, The parties were married on the 1st January, 1861, and after living together till 1872, during which time several children were born to them, the respondent eloped with the co-respondent, and had been living with him ever since at various pluces in Melbourne. The petitioner is a van proprietor at Ballarat, but, having been without means, was unable to bring an action against his wife before this, and even now it was stated that he had to supplement his savings with a loan to enable him to go on with the suit.

Trove has a few mentions of Robert Carroll, some of which may be your ancestor.
    Alma

Default Robert Carroll

Thank you almach for that information. I have already seen the newspaper items about the divorce etc.. Which website did you find the information about Amelia Carrol? My searching continues....
    Thanks so much.
    Debra

Which website did you find the information about Amelia Carrol? My searching continues....
    https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XNVQ-32N
    Alma

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Here's my contribution, I did it before I went out at 7.30pm and forgot to post....almach has since found Amelia

Maybe you need to widen your search year for Robert if Harriett is his sister as she was born 1832!

Looks like family

Name Harriet Carrell
    Gender Female
    Birth Date 01 Nov 1832
    Birthplace Kingston, Surry, Jamaica
    Father's Name John Carrell
    Mother's Name Catherine Carrell

Name Amelia Carrol
    Gender Female
    Birth Date 08 May 1846

Post Robert CARROLL

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    Here's my contribution, I did it before I went out at 7.30pm and forgot to post....almach has since found Amelia

Maybe you need to widen your search year for Robert if Harriett is his sister as she was born 1832!

Looks like family

Name Harriet Carrell
    Gender Female
    Birth Date 01 Nov 1832
    Father's Name John Carrell
    Mother's Name Catherine Carrell

Thanks for this.

Do you think this is them if the spelling is CARRELL?

Debra

Name Amelia Carrol
    Gender Female
    Birth Date 08 May 1846

Thanks for this.

Debra

Spelling of surnames back then relied on what the scribe heard and how he interpreted it.

There's also this one which doesn't give parents names, but he was baptised in the same place

Name Alexander Carroll
    Gender Male
    Birth Date 16 Apr 1829
    Alma

Name well known on Brit-Gen

May help!

www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/Members/Cmar37.htm

Robinson, Charles A. [sig], native of Kingston son of William Robinson and Maria .... m 1/3/1850 Louisa Carroll [by X] dtr of John Carroll and Catherine Carroll.

Quote Originally Posted by geneius View Post
    May help!

www.jamaicanfamilysearch.com/Members/Cmar37.htm

Robinson, Charles A. [sig], native of Kingston son of William Robinson and Maria .... m 1/3/1850 Louisa Carroll [by X] dtr of John Carroll and Catherine Carroll.
    Hmm! Wonder which record is the right one?

Senay, Augustus [sig] son of George Senay and Felicienne m 1/3/1850 Louisa Carroll [by X] dtr of John Carroll and Catherine Carroll. Wit: _- William Roux, Elizabeth Roux, M. Elizabeth Louise Roux, Mary Louise Roux [all sigs], and Cecilia Edwards and Alexander Carroll [both by X].
    Alma

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast