Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Name well known on Brit-Gen

Thanks for the translation.....jx

Might be worth saving ...

ROMAN CATHOLIC BURIALS
    HOLY TRINITY CHURCH, KINGSTON, 1843-1848
    Carroll, James, bu 1/12/1848, d 1/11, native of Ireland age 56 years, p. 49

Thanks for this. I hate that jamaicansearch website. I've looked at it many times and wish it was easier doing a name search.

Thank you so much for this. My apologies for my late reply too.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Robert Carroll

Quote Originally Posted by Debra Wilson View Post
    My 3 x great grandfather, Robert Carroll sailed to Melbourne Australia aboard the Glentanner and arrived on 27 September 1853. On his Wedding Certificate, it states his father's name as John Carroll and his mother as Catherine Brown. Does anyone have Robert in their Family Tree, and if so, can you give me any information about his life prior to leaving Jamaica? He was a dark skinned man and educated. Thanking you in anticipation. Debra
    Robert Carroll is my x 4 great grandfather, he was my great grandmother’ Violet Moore (Carroll) grandfather

Hi Warren - fantastic - a distant relative! Thank you so much for responding to post about Robert Carroll. I remember your great grandmother Violet who was my grandmother's sister. She lived in Fairchild Street, Abbotsford and Mum took me to visit her and Vera (?) a couple of times. We lived at 208 Victoria Street which is where Frederick George and Jane Carroll lived with their children and my mother. I was brought up in the same house; which sadly is no longer a residence but a pho restaurant. I'd be so interested in any information you have, or to answer any of your questions. Here is a link to a photo of the Sunday School teachers of the Lydiard Street Church. Robert Carroll is seated at the front and third from the left. https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/772366 I am hoping you've got some photos you could photocopy and send to me. My email is: [email protected] if you would like to communicate that way.

Hi Warren - fantastic - a distant relative! Thank you so much for responding to post about Robert Carroll. I remember your great grandmother Violet who was my grandmother's sister. She lived in Fairchild Street, Abbotsford and Mum took me to visit her and Vera (?) a couple of times. We lived at 208 Victoria Street which is where Frederick George and Jane Carroll lived with their children and my mother. I was brought up in the same house; which sadly is no longer a residence but a pho restaurant. I'd be so interested in any information you have, or to answer any of your questions. Here is a link to a photo of the Sunday School teachers of the Lydiard Street Church. Robert Carroll is seated at the front and third from the left. https://collections.museumvictoria.com.au/items/772366 I am hoping you've got some photos you could photocopy and send to me. My email is: [email protected] if you would like to communicate that way. Cheers Debra

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Just stumbled across this thread while doing a google search about Robert Carroll.
    I'm the current resident at the Ballarat address where Robert lived, and was searching for more information on him. Found a few articles in Trove and was fantastic to see a photo of him in the link in the post above.
    My old neighbour (who passed away several years ago) used to tell me about a man from Jamaica that lived here. The land was originally the New Kohinoor gold mine and closed around 1910. Not sure if Robert lived in one of the houses on the mine site or it was built after the mine closed. My house was built in the late 1940s but my neighbour used to tell me that the house that was here before mine was called "Kingston Cottage", so it has been a great experience finding a little more information about the man that was here before me. After Robert died, his house was lived in by a Family called the McDonalds. Trove has a couple reports of them losing a couple of sons to illness. I've attached an article from Trove that I found about Robert.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Here is another article about his 79th Birthday

Hi DeanGerrard - Robert Carroll was my 2 x great grandfather. He died in 1913 and was living at 413 Errard Street at the time of his death. I have no idea whether Robert lived in one of the houses on the Koohinoor mine site or it was built after the mine closed. It's nice to know that he called it Kingston Cottage after his birthplace but sad that he possibly never saw Jamaica again. He did, however, communicate with his sisters as I found an article about Robert, his sisters and the Jamaican earthquake of 1907 in TROVE. I have found most of my information about Robert through TROVE but if you would like to contact me - you can do so via my email: [email protected]

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Debra, I have a bit more information that might be of interest to you.
    It looks like the house was on the mine site prior to the mine closing down around 1910.
    So far I can trace Robert at this address as far back as 1894 using a copy of Webb's Ballarat Directory from the Ballarat Mechanics Institute. The listing also has a carpenter called C. Ditchfield living here as well.
    In the 1894 and 1907 directories, his house number was 115 Errard Street. There was also another Carroll living down the street on the other side of the mine. Not sure if they are relevant to you or not.
    As more people moved into the street, the city changed the house numbers, assigning them by which block they were on (eg, 100s block, 200s block etc), rather than the numbering they were using based a house's position from Sturt Street (Main Street of Ballarat).
    The house numbers changed some time in 1907-1908, and his first listing as 413 Errard Street, appears in Wise's Victoria Post Office 1908 Directory (Copy is also in the Ballarat Mechanics' Institute).
    Hopefully those years may help you, if you're looking for more information based on his address.

I've also attached a photo of the mine. If the photographer took this photo from Errard Street, it is possible that one of the houses in this photo is the house that Robert lived in. (If he took the photo from Sebastopol St, it won't be, but it is hard to tell without any other landmarks to know which direction Bardwell the photographer was facing). One of the air shafts from the mine is buried (hopefully very deeply) under my back fence.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast