Starting to feel at home

Default Prison Calendars

I was wondering if anyone had any experience with the Calendars of Prisoners? I am perplexed. I know my relative was tried and convicted of a crime, I know the dates he was found guilty, and even released. Yet I cant find him on the prisoner lists at all. Is there any reason he would be exempt or not listed? it was a 3 month sentence with hard labour. I am only looking for a "record" as Id love to find out which prison rather than rough guess, unfortunately the courts records do not survive for the year.

Hello
    I have no experience in this area at all so you have introduced me to a new line of research.

Are you familiar with the research guide at The National Archives? https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...-prison-staff/

I am off to take a good look at it.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Knowledgeable and helpful

Calendars of Prisoners were made once a quarter. If your person was dealt with quite quickly, he might have been arrested after one calendar was taken and tried, served and released before the next one was done. They can be quite informative as to the crime, even mentioning the victim by name, so definitely worth pursuing. pwholt