DianaCanada

Default Warren Hastings, Actor

One of my distant relatives married Warren Hastings, Actor, on June 2, 1947 in Herne Bay, Kent. Warren was 66, a bachelor, and Dorothy Sybil Elizabeth Pollard was 59, a spinster. I have their marriage certificate, and do have some information on their parents, etc.
    I was wondering if there is any other site on line I can find out more about Warren. I was able to find him on IMDb and he has credits for three movies made between 1926 and 1931. His birth date on there does not quite agree with the one on the death index, which gives his bd as 27 Aug 1880, and fits with the age on his marriage. I found him in the 1911 census as well, living with his widowed mother and two sisters in Chelsea. His parents were William Walter Hastings and Emily Eliza Wigg. He is not listed as an actor at that time.
    Warren died in Sittingbourne district, Kent in 1975, Sep Q.
    One problem is that there is a much more famous Warren Hastings in history and he swamps Google!

He's with his parents and 4 siblings in the 1901, he and his Dad are shown as Public Company Clerks, which fits with the 1911. Looks like he came late to acting...

Have you checked back issues of Variety?

JackieC

You could contact the National Film Archive. You can find their details at www.bfi.org.uk, the website of the British Film Institute to see if they have anything in their records.

DianaCanada

Thank you both, Lesley and Jackie, for your replies. Lesley, does Variety have online records? I couldn't see anything, but could be my usual not seeing what is staring me in the face. Was there a British version of Variety?
    THank you, Jackie, I will have a look at the National Film Archive site.

Starting to feel at home

There are some mentions of Warren Hastings in "The Era" between 1921 and 1931. Not sure if it is the same man but he appears to be a bit of an organiser.

DianaCanada

Lewisbeels, thank you for that useful tip. I have a subscription to the newspaper archive, so I will add some of the information there to my file!
    I think he must be the same man. There weren't many Warren Hastings's in England at the time, right area, right occupation.