Loves to help with queries

Default Albert William Wickens

I'm not sure whether I should be posting my message here or in brick walls, however, I will
    start here and leave it up to B-G.

We have three photos of my husband’s grandfather in hospital in Hull; one shown
    on the back of the photograph as being taken on the 21st December 1917 and one
    apparently taken prior to that date and one taken after that date.

His name was Albert William Wickens and was mostly known as William Wickens.
    He was born in 1877 on the Isle of Wight. He died in 1926 at Stockton on Tees,
    County Durham, Yorkshire.

One photo shows him in bed in a hospital ward, the second photo obviously taken at a
    later date shows him standing in a hospital ward (dressed in outdoor clothes wearing a
    ‘dust jacket/coat’. Everyone else, either standing or sitting on beds appear to be
    dressed in the same type of clothing. Most of the men are sitting on the beds. There are
    two nurses standing in the room as well.

The third photo shows him standing outdoors behind a wooden bench among a group of
    three other men with four men sitting. One of the men standing is dressed in ‘civvies’, while
    all the men including three sitting on the bench are dressed in naval uniform. William is also
    wearing naval uniform. A lady is sitting in a wheel chair in front of the man in ‘civvies’.

We also have a type of Certificate of Discharge on which is written, ‘Rejected after Naval
    Medical Examination’ which is also dated 21st December 1917.

What we would like to know is how he came to be in hospital in Hull in 1917.

My mother in law told me some years ago that his ship was hit and he went in the water and I seem to recall she mentioned the Bay of Biscay, however, that may not be correct at all. My mother in law is no longer with
    us, so can no longer ask regarding these types of questions.

His ‘home base’ appears to be the Victory. We also have on record that he was on the Eriska. This was a large yacht which was commandeered by the Royal Navy during WW1. He was a fireman on board.

We have been able to find his records for his naval service 1898-1910. When WW1 broke out,
    he re-enlisted in the Navy. We have his three medals, his discharge papers and a Naval Christmas
    Card showing a picture of the Eriska. Details on the Christmas Card show that it is the HMS ‘Eriska’ Patrol Fleet, 1915.

We have been unable to find any historical records on the internet as they may have been destroyed
    during the London bombing in WW2.

We are hoping that maybe they weren’t destroyed and if anyone is able to locate where they are for us, we will be eternally grateful.

Thank you for any help anyone can give.

Sandeea

Is there a service number on the rim of any of his medals?

Famous for offering help & advice simmo1's Avatar

Hi

WW1 Naval records were not involved in the bombing in WW2, only army records (as far as I know!)
    Have you gone through all the naval records here - https://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/h...ategory=online

regards

Robert
    Remembering

My Father 1819170 Lance Bombardier Robert Simpson 39/14 L.A.A. R.A.

Thank you for your reply. The medals only have this : W Wickens, Fmn., M.F.A. on the rims.

There is a small document that says that WAR BADGE No. R.N.22165 has been awarded to William Albert Wickens late Fireman, YP, HMS 'Victory' for services rendered in HM Naval Forces since 4th August 1914. This was issued on the 27 December 1917.

Thank you for your reply - will check out the website you have supplied, although I think my husband has done a lot of checking over the years.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandeea View Post
    Thank you for your reply. The medals only have this : W Wickens, Fmn., M.F.A. on the rims.

There is a small document that says that WAR BADGE No. R.N.22165 has been awarded to William Albert Wickens late Fireman, YP, HMS 'Victory' for services rendered in HM Naval Forces since 4th August 1914. This was issued on the 27 December 1917.
    ancestry has the UK Naval Medal and Award Rolls and this entry is on there. He is noted as W A Wickens.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Interesting - the army & navy seem to have had separate numbering systems even for their War Badges - if you enter the number into Anc without specifying "Navy", you get someone else...

HMS Victory was the old name for Portsmouth Naval Base. By WW2 the name had been changed to HMS Nelson as people confused the old name with Nelson's ship, still in dry dock there.

I see that it's Victory II on his record. That was the training depot at Crystal Palace.

I Googled on MFA and got taken to the Royal Museums of Greenwich site HERE.

Valued member of Brit-Gen

Thank you yes, this is our man. My husband had already found this one. This was relating to earlier naval service (1898-1910) for which we have relevant records. When WW1 broke out, he subsequently re-joined the navy. What we are trying to find out is why he was in hospital in December 1917 or maybe before December during WW1. Is there a record somewhere showing whatever ship or patrol boat he was in, was capsized when perhaps torpedoed or fired on somehow. I do know he was not a well man after this time and he died in 1926.

Lesley - I have just had a brief look at the site you mentioned, for which I thank you again for doing that research. I'm going to hand this over to my husband for him to make further enquiries and to see how far he can get on this.
    I appreciate all the help which has been forthcoming.
    Sandeea