Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Joseph Sullivan, where was he living in 1873

When George Sullivan was discharged from the services Nov. 24,1873 he gave his intended place of Residence with Joseph Sullivan of Royal Dragoon Guards at 19 Lower Moss Lane, Manchester.

I have checked the 1871 census and there is James Graham Rutherford & family there. In the 1881 census Josiah & Hannah Slater were there.

Is there some other way of finding where Joseph Sullivan was? Trying to see if George & Joseph were Brothers.

Sharon

Allan F Sparrow

Do you have a date of birth and/or place of birth for either of these Sullivans? If so, please tell us!

A quick search for both at a subscription site, taking a guess at what their ages might be, produced mostly references to imprisonment!

George Sullivan was born in 1837, Muckno, Monaghan, Ireland according to the discharge papers, but I can't find a record of his birth. He was with the 7th Princess Royal's Reg. of Dragoon Guards, # 575. Before George was in the Dragoon Guards, he was with the 46th Reg. of Foot # 3750

I would assume if they are Brothers, Joseph, might be born a few years before or after George.

Sharon

Allan F Sparrow

Going back to the same sub site with the extra info, I found in 1841 in Rochdale, Lancashire:

George Sullivan, born about 1839 in Ireland, apparently son of Cornelius (aged 40+) and Mary (aged 40+). There were seven siblings, but none named Joseph.

I saw no follow up census references in Lancashire, or indeed elsewhere, but that does not mean there are none to be found anywhere.

A George Sullivan married either Esther Ellen Walker OR Alice Fletcher in 1871 2nd qtr in Bury, Lancashire.

A George Sullivan died in 1875 4th qtr in Liverpool, aged 40.

I also found a George Sullivan born in 1837 in Newross, Adamstown, Wexford, Ireland, according to discharge papers which state he joined up in June 1854 and served in the 62nd and 99th foot regiments. Obviously these details are different from yours, so not your man – whose discharge papers I also found – and I am not sure that the name of the person he intended to reside with was Joseph. It’s abbreviated, and looks more like Jer**h to me: could be Jeremiah, perhaps?

I don't know if this will be any help to you. I'll look at another site a little later on.

Slater's Directory of Manchester & Salford 1876 (Alphabetical Directory)(site - Historical Directories on line)

Amongst the Sullivans listed

Sullivan George, pensioner, 21 Dougill St, Hulme
    Sullivan Joseph, painter, 19 Long St, Ancoats

"pensioner" = army pensioner possibly?
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Allan F Sparrow

That looks promising. Glad to see someone else joining in: maybe you have more time to spare than I have!

Blame it on the weather - would far prefer being outdoors pottering about on the allotment (shed to repair, poly tunnel to erect, dilapidated greenhouse to demolish etc). But must admit,, pottering about on the old lap top ain't such a bad alternative.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

janbooth

A George SULLIVAN is listed in the Chelsea Pensioners Royal Hospital in the 1911 census. He is recorded as being born c1837 at Monaghan, Castleblayney and is shown as a widowed In Pensioner. Could this be your George?

Had you also noticed that there is another SULLIVAN listed in the British Service records, i.e., Charles SULLIVAN born c1837 at Muchrey, Castleblayney, Monaghan who also enlisted in the 7th Dragoon Guards - could this be another relative??

However, at the moment I cannot find George, or Charles for that matter, in earlier census records with any certainty.

Janet

janbooth

You might be able to find your SULLIVAN baptisms at RootsIreland website as it appears to have birth/baptismal records for Muckno (Castleblayney) between 1835-1880 and Monaghan between 1820-1914. You do have to register so it is probably a pay per view website but it may well provide you with some answers.

Janet

Allan F Sparrow

Quote Originally Posted by janbooth View Post
    A George SULLIVAN is listed in the Chelsea Pensioners Royal Hospital in the 1911 census. He is recorded as being born c1837 at Monaghan, Castleblayney and is shown as a widowed In Pensioner. Could this be your George? Janet
    This reference was about the only possibly useful thing which turned up on the other subscription site which I mentioned in an earlier post. I see no census references except that the 1841 family were still in Rochdale in 1851, including that George: but this may well be a red herring anyway.

I know nothing of Irish census records, but it is possiblr that George could have gone back to Ireland after leaving the army. In those days, of course, Ireland was part of the United Kingdom.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast