Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Hugh Cannel's attestation papers are on ancestry and an interesting thing is (written in red ink) that his father was also on active service in WW1
    Ha also says he served 2 years in the OT Corps London Schools and his occupation was schoolmaster.'
    Further in to the records is a letter from his mother asking where his personal effects are as they are the 3rd lot of personal effects of soldiers in her family that have gone missing and the ghouls who do this should be exposed.
    Hugh's father was a bank manager and born Grahamstown South Africa according to his own service records.

Hugh's sister Constance was travelling back to Fremantle port WA from Capetown in March 1962 so it looks as if she remained a spinster having died in 1972. Hugh's mother also travelled to Capetown in 1937 so they had ties there.

Still trying to find out what happened to Eva his sister. This is her birth registration so the tree on ancestry is out in the year it is 1896 not 1897

Births Sept 1896
    Cannell Eva Rosetta C Chertsey 2a 49
    She is at home in the 1917 Electoral Rolls at 100 Mount's Bay Road West Perth with her parents and recorded as Eva Rose Cameron Cannell.

Ah ha I think this may be her death registration

Deaths Dec 1954
    Eva R Cannell age 58 Bridge, Kent vol 5b page 78
    So another line bites the dust.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Hugh Cannell had another sister not mentioned on the tree on ancestry. She is with the family in England in the 1911 census.
    Cynthia Myrtle Cannell born 1903.
    Because of a death notice for Hugh's mother in the Trove Australian newspaper collection which mentioned a daughter Mrs H A Rose I found Cynthia in the Electoral Rolls with her husband Henry Arthur Rose, an investor!
    I also found Cynthia and her mother sailing to South Africa in 1931 and they had with them a 4 year old boy who is probably the son of Cynthia and Henry. I will try and follow him through to see if there are any descendants.

Christina
    William Burroughs

I just can't find anything more on the son of Cynthia and Henry Rose.This son would be the nephew of Hugh Featherstone Cannell but again they all seem to have disappeared.
    The last time I sight Cynthia's son is in the 1968 Electoral Roll with his mother. He is not with Cynthia and Henry in 1963. Nor is Henry with them in 1968 so he must have died 1963-1968.

Christina
    William Burroughs

thewideeyedowl

Ref #21: Useful info here on Officer Training Corps at Public Scools https://1914-1918.invisionzone.com/fo...=191131&page=4.

Was wondering if he had taught at City of London School. Some/All of the public schools may have records of their WW1 officers/ranks who served.

Now to start my day..

Owl

tomdocherty72

Hi Christina, thank you for the information on Cannell. I don't know where you find the time to do all this research. However we are grateful for your help. You clearly know your way around the records.

Yours

Tom

Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Their is a newspaper article about a lieutenant Moray Sutherland Mackay of 72 squadron, Dundee courier, 17th July 1919. If that helps with his full name.

Mrs P

Quite a character by sound of it. Lived in Balkerach, Doune.

The first newspaper item also mentions lieutenant Ralph Patrick Phillip Pope.
    Last edited by MrsPoppy; 05-02-2016 at 5:53 PM. Reason: adding stuff

Hello Mrs.Poppy

Thank you for the name details for Moray Sutherland Mackay.

So many of these men led such interesting lives and came from families who have kept me reading even though I can't find the information that is needed.

Christina
    William Burroughs

They are very interesting and an interesting thread. I had a quick look but although I found a marriage for lieutenant Pope, I haven't gone any further with it. I don't know if lieutenant Mackey got married in Scotland.

Mrs P

Well it seems another man with other talents

In 1938 The play "Teatime" by Moray S Mackay was presented by Doune and District W R I Dramatic Society and awarded first place at the Drama festival.

(As an aside the mother of Hugh Featherstone Cannell was a writer, magazine editor, artist and very involved with social and political activities )

Moray Sutherland Mackay had a mixed fortunes in 1938. He was fined 15 pounds for driving under the influence. In this article he was described as 'designer.' Abode Balcharach, Doune, Perthshire. He was also fined 2 pounds in 1933 for running of the road on his motor bike and hitting a gate. His defence said the sun was in his eyes.
    He was very involved with theatre activities in various roles such as stage manager but not as an actor.

On the Findagrave site
    Death 1977
    Cemetery -Lecropt Kirk Stirling
    Burial or cremation place - Bridge of Allan, Stirling, Scotland
    Moray S Mackay
    Born 1899

1901 census
    Kilmadock Perthshire
    George S Mackay44 died 1912
    Ester Nye Mackay35 died 1954
    Alexander S Mackay 10
    George Mackay 6
    Moray 2
    A tree on ancestry says that Moray's father was born in Geelong Victoria Australia and the 1871 census shows that.

All children
    James Reay Sutherland Mackay 1887 - 1968 Doune Perthsire
    25 Dec 1888 Free Church Manse, Kilmadock, Doune, Perthshire, Scotland
    Death Sept 1/4 1977 Bath, Avon, England

Alexander S Mackay Birth 9 OCT 1891 Doune, Perthshire, Scotland
    Death Unknown

George Sutherland Mackay
    Birth c1895 Doune, Perthshire, Scotland
    Death Unknown
    Married Levesdon Hertfordshire 4february 1924 to Christina Bourne
    I can only see one child for this marriage in 1926 Kensington registration district but according to the tree there are 3 but listed as private because probably still living.
    You could make contact with the owner of the tree as a start to tracking down descendents.
    I have sent you a pm

Walter Smith Sutherland Mackay
    Birth 15 May 1904 Doune, Perthshire, Scotland
    Death 19 Dec 1987 Doune, Perthshire, Scotland
    Married
    Irene Margaret John 26 January 1927 Munnar, Madras, India (her death unknown)
    Witnesses Arthur Wood John and George Sutherland Mackay
    Walter was a tea merchant and he and his wife were on their way back from Rangoon to Doune in June 1945

Christina
    William Burroughs

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast