Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Valued member of Brit-Gen MrsPoppy's Avatar

Default Windows 10 & now a defunct laptop

I am typing on my kindle fire which is all I have left after a Windows 10 upgrade went very wrong.

I am so pleased to be back as it has taken me 4 days trying to log back into BG on my kindle.

I upgraded from Windows 7 to Windows 10, laptop became very unstable. Black screen problems, very slow. I googled & tried all the fixes but still unstable. I actually liked Windows 10, but it was proving unworkable. After a week I reverted to 7 which was a choice available.

Laptop cannot install Windows, disc is damaged contact manufacturer. I've tried Windows repair, various command prompt solutions, used my back up system recovery discs, my back up recovery hard drive, finally a factory reset then tried it all again. Nothing.

A thousand pound, three year old laptop not working. Comp man said hard drive is fried....

Did I get a malicious virus, did it delete important Windows 7 files on installation?

Any ideas gratefully received.

For someone who lives out in the wilds, banks, bills & shops online & likes being with you lot. It's a nuisance.

Mrs P

Kiltpin

Sounds more like a hardware problem than a software problem to me. Contrary to popular belief viruses don't do physical damage to hard drives. If your computer guy says the hard drive is 'fried', it is just coincidental that you were doing an upgrade.

Ask him if a new hard drive could be used with your backups - if nothing else, just to get you back to factory settings.

Recognised Microsoft engineers used to be able to put an engineering copy of the OS on your machine, but activated with your number, so in effect it became your OS. Whether they can still do that I don't know.

Regards

Kiltpin

Thank you.

I think that sounds right as I've tried everything which should resolve software problems.

I'm going to take it to a computer repair shop that I know & ask them if replacing hard drive is the way to go. It's about the only procedure left!

Mrs P

yorkshiregal

I had windows 10 for a bit, went back to 7. Just saw in the Canadian papers today that 10 will be installed automatically if you have auto updates. I immediately changed my updates to inform me first and let me choose what to install.

Laptop at repair shop but they are not hopeful. Definitely a hard drive problem.

I had trouble with updates recently, I went down the route of asking updates to inform me first.

Before I upgraded to Windows 10 I made sure all the updates had been done on Windows 7 & all the other applications, including my security programme. (Which did not like Windows 10). Not that it did me any good...

I did like Windows 10 in layout & what it could do, but I never had it working in a stable way.

Never mind.

Mrs P

Name well known on Brit-Gen

I MUST be one of the few that has downloaded Windows 10 and have it operating OK.

I use my desktop for work and have 3 professional accounts /tax / payroll programmes and their updates as well!

Would I revert back to Windows 7...not if I can help it....

Jx

That's interesting as my daughter is holding off from upgrading as she is worried it won't work properly with her sage payroll & various accounts packages.

There is a lot to lose if you suddenly find the accounts & payroll packages are compromised.

Mrs Px

I upgraded both PC and laptop last year, and have found it a big improvement on Win 8. I had the common problem where it made a lot of my files read only, but that's easy to reset, but that was all.

Of course, as with any major change to a computer, I did backup all my files to an external drive beforehand.

We've had quite a few people saying that they've not had trouble....

Name well known on Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by MrsPoppy View Post
    That's interesting as my daughter is holding off from upgrading as she is worried it won't work properly with her sage payroll & various accounts packages.

There is a lot to lose if you suddenly find the accounts & payroll packages are compromised.

Mrs Px
    I checked with the software providers first...not a lover of Sage as I have had problems with them in the past.!

Hi Lesley, I'm a big believer in back ups thank goodness, so all file, photos, Family History, knitting patterns... all safely fully backed up.

The internet is awash with good & bad experiences. My laptop was working with no problems whatsoever so although it does seem to be a hard drive problem (still waiting to hear final verdict) I'm blaming, not so much Windows 10, but the process of reverting back to my original Windows 7. It's easier if I can put the blame on something.

Hi Geneius - yes I think she needs to be wary. Possibly less worry if you buy a computer running Windows 10 to start with & can test it without touching your old system or computer set up. I've never heard her complain about Sage. Presumably most major software will be compatible eventually.

I've a feeling I had better start saving.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast