Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Ellen Brawn birth date and parents?

My great grandmother was called Ellen Brawn and married my great grandfather William Broxton in Wolverhampton in June 1881. He was from Chirbury in Shropshire and at the census in March 1881 he was still living in Chirbury. So within three months he and Ellen had moved to Wolverhampton and got married here. The marriage certificate says that Ellen was 20 when she got married, suggesting she was born around 1861. The marriage certificate also said she was born in Shrewsbury. However, at the time of her death in January 1922 the Wolverhampton cemetery records state she was 58 years old, which suggest she was born around 1863. I cannot find out where she was born and can find no details of her father Edward Brawn either. Maybe someone reading this may have some ideas, I would be very grateful for any advice.

Brick wall demolition expert!

There was a birth registered in 1866 of an Ellen Brawn in Wolverhampton, but she does not seem to be in any census.

It occurs to me that all the records that we are looking for would have been handwritten and then transcribed at some point in time, so it must be very likely that there are instances where Brawn has been transcribed as Brown.

Hello Stuart
    I have split your post about Ellen from your original post in the Introduce yourself forum and given it a place of its own in the Shropshire forum. This way it will attract more attention and help

Its new title is Ellen Brawn birth date and parents?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart56 View Post
    The marriage certificate also said she was born in Shrewsbury.
    Marriage certificates and marriage entries in parish registers do not say where a person was born only their place of residence at the time of marriage. A person only had to be resident in a parish for a few weeks before the marriage, unless the marriage took place by licence.

If Ellen didn't die until 1922, then what was her place of birth as given on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census when she was married to her husband?

Wilkes_ml

Quote Originally Posted by Wilkes_ml View Post

If Ellen didn't die until 1922, then what was her place of birth as given on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census when she was married to her husband?
    Are they at 59 Melbourne Street, Wolverhampton in 1891? RG 12 piece 2236 folio 32 pg 25.
    William was a Groom? Cabman and supposedly born Wolverhampton, Staffordshire about 1856-1857
    Ellen was aged 29 therefore born about 1861-1862 Willenhall, Staffordshire

In 1901 they are at 7 John's Square Wolverhampton RG13 Piece 2671 Folio 106 Pg 10
    William born about 1856-1857 Shrewsbury, Shropshire, occupied as a coachman
    Ellen born about 1860-1861 Shrewsbury, Shropshire

In 1911 at 16 Church Lane Wolverhampton

Ellen is now a widow and born about 1864-1865 Willenhall, Staffordshire.

as 2 out of 3 censuses give a place of birth as Willenhall, Staffordshire, then this is most likely to be her correct birth place.

as 2 censuses give a birth year of 1861 +/- 1 year then I'd guess this is most likely to be her year of birth.

In 1871 there is a 10 year old Ellen BREW born Willenhall visiting John & Mary RICHARDS ( both aged 60 born Broomstead {sic}, Staffordshire) loving at Darlaston. Ref: RG10 Piece 2956 Folio 89 pg 13

I think it would be worth investigating this Ellen further. It is possible her maiden/birth name was recorded incorrectly on the marriage certificate.
    Last edited by Wilkes_ml; 26-01-2016 at 10:53 PM. Reason: add reference & correction

what was her place of birth as given on the 1891, 1901 and 1911 census when she was married to her husband?
    She can't make her mind up, in 1891 she says born 1862 Willenhall; 1901 born 1861 Shrewsbury, 1911 born 1865 Willenhall
    Alma

Wilkes_ml

Having searched all Ellen births registered 1861 +/- 1 year at Wolverhampton registration district, one stands out as sounding close to BRAWN and BREW and that is BROOM ...registered September quarter 1860.

Brick wall demolition expert!

Have any of you managed to find her father, Edward? If we spot how his name was being transcribed or even written down in a census then we might be able to find her.

jac65

Hi

This could be Ellen.

Ellen Brawn birth reg Wolverhampton Reg District March Qtr 1866

Ellen Brown (sic) baptised 1866 Willenham St Anne, father Martin, mother Ellen (image on FMP, I haven't looked at it)

Martin Brawn marriage Sept Qtr 1865 Wolverhampton Reg Dist, possible bride Ellen Williams

Ellen Brawn age 19 death reg Wolverhampton Reg District March Qtr 1866 (giving birth to Ellen?)

1871 census RG10 Piece 2946 Folio 34 page 3 Ellen Brown (sic) age 5 born Willenham granddaughter. Head of household Edward Williams age 55

Certainly a baby raised by the maternal grandparents after her mothers death would not be unusual, nor would giving the name of the person who raised her on her marriage registration.

Andy

No, Megan. I've searched Staffordshire for any Edward, an engineer born 1815 - 1845 and with a daughter Ellen, but didn't find any matches.
    Alma

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast