Starting to feel at home

Default Walpole Norfolk England

Looking for any Walpoles who lived within 30 miles of East Tuddenham/Hockering area of Norfolk. Between the years 1700 and 1840.

Regards PHil

Kiltpin

I think that you might have to narrow this down a bit, Phil. 140 years in an area that is not familiar to most. FMP gives 7,545 hits for the whole of Norfolk. How about a list of villages and/or parishes that you are interested in?

Regards

Kiltpin
    Last edited by Kiltpin; 27-01-2016 at 1:43 PM. Reason: Proper sentance

Starting to feel at home

Thanks Kiltpin, for the reply. As for the villages, East Tuddenham, Hockering and Lyng. I know that Walpole's lived in these villages in the time span I have mentioned. I do have info on them, but I have missed something as I can't find my GGG granddad, John Walpole who as a widower, married my GGG grandmum in 1824 in East Tuddenham. Her name was Frances Basey The parish records for many of the villages in the East Tuddenham area are on line. I have searched these without any success. There were loads of John Walpole's, but when I researched them they were not ancestors of mine. There is a John Walpole who died in Hockering, but was buried in East Tuddenham in 1850. He could well be my ancestor, he was about the right age, but that is all I can find. When John married Frances one of the witnesses was a Mary Walpole. Mary could have been John's daughter from his first marriage or his sister. I have found some Mary Walpole's who seem to fit in with my research, but it would be guess work. As I have already mentioned, I am starting to think I have missed something, I have checked a number of times but can find nothing that can prove who my GGG granddad was. I am hoping that someone may see my post who is researching the Walpole's and has the info I am looking for. Very unlikely, but I have run out of ideas on how to find him. I have considered a professional researcher, but would he have access to documents that I don't. I think it's unlikely he could.

Regards Phil.

janbooth

This is presumably your Frances WALPOLE nee BASEY in the 1851 census of Hockering (HO107/1824, folio 271, page 12) described as a widow, aged 46, born East Tuddenham living with children John & James. This is she in the 1841 census of East Tuddenham (HO107/780/14, folio 7, page 5):

John WALPOLE 65 Ag Lab
    Frances do 35
    James do 10
    John do 11

All born in the county. The details for Frances WALPOLE from the 1851 census fit in beautifully with the baptism of a Frances BASEY from the IGI's parish register of East Tuddenham, i.e. born 22 April baptised 19 May 1805, daughter of Samuel BASEY & Mary late MEARS.

Given the fact that Frances WALPOLE was living in Hockering in the 1851 census and that husband John was alive in the 1841 census it would appear extremely likely that the burial record you have already found is pretty likely to be your John WALPOLE the only slight fly in the ointment being the fact that his burial record in 1850 shows him to have been aged 82 which does not fit with his age of 65 in the 1841 census even allowing for the rounding down of ages in the 1841 census. But the 1841/51 census records are the correct family because the baptism of son John is shown as 27 July 1829 at East Tuddenham parents John WALPOLE & Frances BASEY according to the IGI.

None of which helps you to find the origins of your John WALPOLE nor his first marriage and the only likely baptism I can find for a John WALPOLE is one a Lyng on 13 October 1771 parents John & Hannah. Have you found a likely burial for John's first wife at all in your searches of the parish registers??

Janet

Starting to feel at home

Hi Janet, you have found the correct Walpole family. John and Frances had 4 children Mary Ann, John (my GG granddad) George and James. George died as an infant. John and James have been easy to find, Mary Ann not so. From the documents I have seen I am 100 % certain that this family are my ancestors. The parish record for John and Frances being married says that John was of this parish (East Tuddenham), but that could mean he was living in the village at the time not born there. As for the John Walpole born in Lyng, he could be the right age etc, but I can't find any record of his first marriage. I can't find any records that would give a hint to his first wife. In short, at the moment it's seems impossible to find any info that would point to which John Walpole he was. In the summer, I intend to go to the records office in Norwich and spend a few days going thru parish records to see if I have missed something.
    Regards Phil

janbooth

Good luck, Phil. I hope you find some new information.

Janet

Starting to feel at home

I will not give up my research. My tree is very one sided as I have no idea who my mums parents were. She was unofficially adopted in the early 1900's and was never told the names of her parents. She tried for most of her life to find them without success. There is a lot more to her story, but I need to go thru many Essex parish records in the hope of finding a clue.

Regards Phil

Since this has become a query about a specific family, rather than about an ONS, I'm going to move it to the Norfolk forum where is may attract more attention from people who know the area.

Phil, if you know your Mum's birthdate and birth name, you could always post a query to our brickwalls or adoption forums....

Starting to feel at home

Hi ok about the move and understand why. As for my mum, I have now got my sister working on it. We are not certain that the her birth date is correct, all we know is that she was called Jean Austridge, Austridge being the surname of the couple who adopted her. All I have is a copy of the marriage certificate. I have a feeling my sister is going to contact a professional researcher, which is something I can't afford to do. I have tried the adoption board without any success.

Regards Phil