Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Knowledgeable and helpful

Default Jane Hughes Kirkwood

I've come full circle to where I began 40 years agol Help, please.
    Jane Hughes was my grandmother's eldest sister. She was born in Birkenhead in March 1880, daughter of George Hughes and Elizabeth Morris. George was a baker/newsagent/sub-postmaster. Elizabeth was from Henllan, Denbighshire. It is details of Jane's life which I want.

In 1901 she was still living at home, working as a cafe waitress although my mother told me she trained as a furrier. In 1911 she was elsewhere. There are over 180 possibilities born in 1880- on 1911 census, so search is not viable.

Jane married and then divorced him. No name or date has ever been mentioned. A cousin made poor notes from a family Bible which indicate she married 23 June 1917 but no place or name is noted. None of the options look likely.
    Jane married again to John Kirkwood who was a lecturer in textiles in Belfast, no date known but definitely before early 1950s. They lived in Carrickfergus. They had no children together but I believe John had some from a previous marriage. Both lived into their 90s. I think Jane died in 1975 or 76 aged 95.
    Recently a photograph of a lady in VAD uniform has come to light along with a photo of Jane in her 90s which I recognise. The VAD one is dated 1917 but gives no names.
    Suggestions to find dates of marriages and death please. pwholt
    Last edited by pwholt; 24-01-2016 at 10:57 PM. Reason: typos

A cousin made poor notes from a family Bible which indicate she married 23 June 1917
    Have you considered this marriage, St Asaph is the reg district for Henllan where her mother was born.

Marriages Jun 1917, St Asaph, 11b 484
    Jane Hughes/Richard T Jones.
    Alma

This question was previously posed in 2011 HERE. We normally lock or delete repeats, leaving the original thread, but since the other one didn't attract any help I've closed it (old thread do revive) and left this one since they each contain odd different crumbs.

Growing old Disgracefully

You need to look for the second marriage for John Kirkwood to Jane ??? as she would have used her divorced husbands name, that will then enable you to go back and look for that first marriage.

A fountain of knowledge

FreeBMD has the following marriages;-

Q1 1947

Caddle Jane G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Ewing Jane G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Herrington Henry Pike Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood Jane G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood John G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood John G Caddle Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood John G Ewing Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Pike Irene Herrington Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608

There are notes attached to the Kirkwood marriages saying spouse is Caddle or Ewing or Kirkwood. This suggests Jane G had been married several times before.

This is the only John Kirkwood spouse Jane ?? returned between 1930 and 1968 which is the next John Kirkwood marriage but not to a Jane.

A fountain of knowledge

Post #5 may be irrelevant as marriage may have taken place in Northern Ireland. You will need to register and buy credits to search NI records. See:-

https://www.nidirect.gov.uk/index/inf...groni/gro-info

Brick wall demolition expert!

I think that the key to unlocking this is to find her marriages:

(a) 1st marriage – think that it would be worth apply to the GRO for the marriage registered in St. Asaph in 1917 and identified in post #2 above. Use this web link and the following steps: https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/

1. On the 1st page of the application where it asks the question “Is the GRO Index Reference Number known?” answer NO.
    2. On page 2 enter the brides name (Jane Hughes) and the date (01/01/1917) and place (St. Asaph) and her father’s names (George Hughes). Do not put any other details in.

You will have to pay £9.25, but if there was no marriage in that year that matches those details then you will get a FULL refund.

(b) 2nd marriage – I think that it is worth exploring the Northern Ireland connection and to that extend I would recommend that you follow the link given above in post #6. I don’t know anything about NI marriage registration or certificates, but if you are able to use her parents / father’s name as part of the search criteria then you may not need her surname, which might then mean that you could search for this marriage separately from the 1st marriage.

If you are able to get the 2nd marriage certificate, and assuming that it contains as much information as one in England and Wales, this will be very useful in your search. By example a woman who first married in 1912, and then divorced before remarrying in 1937; her 2nd marriage certificate says under name and surname: Ethel Bloggs formerly Smith and then under condition: “the divorced wife of Joseph Bloggs”. So if we hadn’t got her first marriage this would be the means of identifying it.

Are there any reports from newspapers of her parents’s deaths? These might include her then surname.

Knowledgeable and helpful

Many thanks for these thoughts and suggestions. I have wanted to look for the second marriage but did not know where to start - ie NI records. I will try the links given. The St Asaph marriage is worth checking out and I will do so. Items about her father's death were placed in the paper by Jane herself and I do have several copies in the original newsprint as well as photocopies. Unfortunately Jane was more concerned with the family past than the family present so none of his 12 children were mentioned.
    Apologies for forgetting I had posted this before. I appreciate the response this time. pwholt

A fountain of knowledge

Quote Originally Posted by pwholt View Post
    John Kirkwood who was a lecturer in textiles in Belfast
    If you don't have any luck searching NI records it may be worth contacting

Ulster University
    Belfast Campus
    York Street
    Belfast, Co. Antrim
    BT15 1ED
    Tel: 028 7012 3456

home to the university’s School of Art, originally inaugurated as the Belfast School of Art and Design in 1849, which is probably where JK lectured.

Growing old Disgracefully

Ewing Jane G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Herrington Henry Pike Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood Jane G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood John G Kirkwood Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Kirkwood John G Ewing Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608
    Pike Irene Herrington Surrey Mid.E. 5g 608

Break it down 8 persons names means 4 marriages