sjmccall

Default James Brown and Janet Wardrope Old Monkland

James Brown was born in Ayr if his census entries are correct, and the are consistent for birth place. Again going on census info., he was born about 1811.

He married in Old Monkland at a date unknown to Janet Wardrop(e).

Janet Wardrop(e) was born in Stonehouse LNK according to census info. in about 1820.

During 1851 and 61 censuses the couple were in Bo'ness. West Lothian where he was a carter for another iron works. Their three sons George, James and Robert were born between 1849 and 1853 in B0'ness.
    However their first son James was born in 1846 in Barony, LKS.
    All boys (and girls) had surname Brown.

There was also a daughter Mary Brown born in 1843 and another daughter after their return to LNK and she was Margaret McClaren Brown 18th December 1855. Margaret was my husband 2xg/grandmother and we know more or less her history.

1871 census saw the family back in Old Monkland at Hutcheson House.

The only information I have other than what is on the census is info gleaned from Janet's death in 1875 in New Monkland andthat is the name of her father William Wardrope.

Janet obviously was not on the census after 1871 but neither is her husband James Brown. I have been unable to identify any of the children either after that time in neither census nor bmd. There were 2 young grandchildren with the family in 1871 with surnames James Stewart aged 5 and Andrew Fotheringham aged 1 both supposedly born at Clyde Iron Works. I cant find any births for them either or later census info.

What I am looking for is James Brown and Janet Wardrope's marriage and James Brown's death and hope with that info. the rest might drop into place. I havent ruled out more than one marriage for either of them thus affecting surnames

NB I have noted on my searches that a William Wardrope was mar. to a Janet Frame and I wonder if Janet is their daughter but I can find little on them.

I have combed ScotlandsPeople as well as Ancestry and FMP but nothing has been forthcoming and I am despairing. I would be grateful for any information however small. Thankyou.

Have you got Margaret McLaren Brown's birth certificate from Scotlandspeople? If she was born in 1855, the first year of civil registration in Scotland, I would expect the date of the parents' marriage to be given. Unless above is a mis-typed 1845
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Where did Margaret (daughter) marry?

How inconsiderate of James and Janet! I found a reference on FS that Margaret Mclaren was born on 18 December 1855 and baptised in Old Monkland, but on looking on Scotlandspeople I see that she was not registered until January 1856, which means all that lovely extra 1855 information will not be there. Still worth downloading her birth certificate if you don't have it.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

sjmccall

Yes, I have that . Parents named but no marriage details for them. I have seen other Scottish certs. containing parents marriage but not this one. Another I have for about 1885 actually requests parents place of marriage in third main column with parents names. This one, dated 1856, has numbered columns - column 3 is name and job of father and column 4 is for name and maiden surname of mother. There is no place or request for parents marriage details.

sjmccall

She married alexander McCall 12/03/1875 in Old Monkland/Clyde Iron Works.

sjmccall

I have something downloaded from Scotlands People which is a sheet with three other births also on it and details of parents, occupations, etc. What else would be on a certificate. I hadn't noticed the birth was 1855 and the reg. 1856. What other info is on pre 1856? Unfortunately I haven't found births for her older siblings so cant get those to try and find the information. Thanks very much for your comments.

sjmccall

She married alexander McCall 12/03/1875 in Old Monkland/Clyde Iron Works.

There's only 1855 before, when they got a bit carried away with the questions on all BMD cents. Then there's a few years where things went the other way. I suggest that you take a look at the howto messages at the top of the General Scottish forum - they give this sort of detail.

If she married in Old Monkland, that suggests that we don't have to hunt ship lists!