Thread: John Kinghorn

Default John Kinghorn

I am trying to research a GGF, who reputedly died in India.

He was born in 1856 at Christ Church, Southwark, Surrey, UK and eventually became a sergeant gunnery instructor in the Royal Artillery.
    My GM was born in Nagpore and a GU in Bombay.
    I have seen an "index-only" reference for a death on Ancestry in 1915 registered at Howrah, Bengal, India.

Does anyone have any idea how I can get a certificate (I have emailed the local Town Hall in Bengal and had no reply) and how much it costs, or more information?

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Hello loftygraham,

Welcome to British-Genealogy.

In 99.9999% of queries it's always easier if we can look at a document or index ourselves, so how about giving us a name and the title of the 'set' you found the entry in. (It may have been in overseas deaths held by the GRO it which case sending for the death certificate is easy-peasy. )

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

You're quite right Dundee10. I found it on Ancestry "India, Select Deaths and Burials, 1710-1948", but it's the same one!
    I have been to the BL India Office records and not found this before.
    Also I have ordered many other certificates from the GRO, but this seemed as if I will have to get it from an archives in India.
    It would be easier perhaps to order and look at the microfilm at the CLDS (as long as it's not also "index-only".
    Thanks for your help and suggestions.

As this is now a research thread I have moved it from Introduce Yourself to the India Forum.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Some people just aren't safe to be let out by themselves! I can't believe I ignored the name in the thread heading.

However I am about to redeem myself big time.
    I'm not sure if it's the same entry as in the LDS index but there's one on Findmypast which gives a cause of death. Might not be yours though as he's a chief engineer on a ship. Can't check out any other possible JKs because FMP has decided to have a hissy fit and not let me sign in using my tablet.

Pam
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Thanks, Pam for all your trouble.
    I agree, it doesn't sound like him unless he changed occupations.

Perhaps I'll look on fmp at the library (I only subscribe to Ancestry) and keep digging.
    grahamDOTcorioATvirginDOTnet
    Last edited by christanel; 19-01-2016 at 9:08 PM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

thewideeyedowl

Default Families in British India Society

Hi LoftyGraham, and a very warm welcome to BritGen...

You will find some Kinghorn info on the excellent website run by the Families in British India Society (FIBIS). I entered Kinghorn in the search box and got six hits, three of which might be your family: https://search.fibis.org/frontis/bin/...cat.php?mode=q

There was a Medal Roll entry for a Kinghorn in the Indian Mutiny (could be John's father???), but more importantly:

John S Kinghorn married Agnes Eleanor Severin on 23 October 1889.
    John Smith Kinghorn died 4 Sep 1898

Could that be your folks? (Or am I simply throwing a red herring into this research, if the dates in no way tie in with confirmed/documented info you have? In which case, 'Sorry'(!) and I really should read with more care...)

Swooping off.

Owl

Thanks for your help and looking Owl.

I will explore the FIBIS site more.

I have had a quick look and no hits were him, or relevant.