Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Allum - Tower Hamlets Militia

Dead end trying to locate Sgt Michael Allum who was in the Tower Hamlets Militia around 1807 - 1810 according to birth records from Edmonton, Middlesex. May have Connection back to Warwickshire.
    Possible details born 28 Dec 1768 Bulkington. Marriage Mary Brown 17 Feb 1789. Death 4 Feb 1829. Royal Hospital Chelsea.
    Unable to find proof of any of the above above.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

Starting to feel at home

According to the familysearch.org records Michael (also spelt Michal ) Allum was born in1763 in Burlington, Warwickshire.
    He was christened on the 28th December in 1768.
    Records are taken from the Warwickshire Parish Register 1535-1984.

Death and marriage details still to be researched.

Hope this is of use.
    Felmagre

Starting to feel at home

Further to the above I have located birth records for a Michael Allum and an Elizth Allum for the same birth year 1763 which could possible indicate your Michael was a twin.
    I have also been able to find baptismal records for Elizth which records her as being Christened on the same date as Michel, the 28th December 1768.
    Furthermore on both Elizth and Michel's Christening record the Father's surname is recorded as being Allamson, a strong indication Michael and Elizth are siblings.

Re your Michel' s marriage to a Mary Brow, there is a record which shows him marrying Mary on the 17 th April 1759 in Bedworth, Warwickshire.
    Further there is a record of Elizth marrying a Joseph Allum ( possibly a cousin) and having a daughter to him by the name of Lucy, does this ring any bells?

I have not as yet located Michel's death notification, but will continue to search.

All of the above information is freely available on the familysearch.org website as entries on the 1538-1975 England Births and Christenings records and Warwickshire Parish Register 1535-1984.

Trust this information is of assistance
    Sincerely
    Felmagre

Starting to feel at home

I am afraid I am having no joy with respect to the Michael's demise. I also think that the information re his death in 1829 in Chelsea is in fact unrelated as it would appear the date of birth for the individual concerned - family sites- does not correspond, but I may well be in error.

I did notice, however, transcripts for a Michel Allum with regards to a Norway burial, is there any chance he may have immigrated?

Not much assistance re this aspect of your search, sorry.
    Felmagre.

Starting to feel at home

Given the Royal Hospital Chelsea is a military establishment, might it be possible for you to obtain information pertaining to Michael's residency through his service records? If so then
    you could ascertain his correct date of death and know for certain if the person concerned is in actuality your Michael and not a stranger.

Regards
    Felmagre

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Wow!

This is incredible. You have confirmed some details and opened up some interesting new routes. I'll comment on others individually but can't thank you enough for your knowledge and kindness. You have re-energised my search and backed me out of that dead end. Thank you.

Quote Originally Posted by Felmagre View Post
    According to the familysearch.org records Michael (also spelt Michal ) Allum was born in1763 in Burlington, Warwickshire.
    He was christened on the 28th December in 1768.
    Records are taken from the Warwickshire Parish Register 1535-1984.

Death and marriage details still to be researched.

Hope this is of use.
    Felmagre

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I made the novice mistake of treating baptism as birth date. Never knew about a possible twin even though I had think I had seen an Elizabeth. Allamson is definitely a new one. I wonder if that was a recording error but I'll certainly look in that direction. Many thanks

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I was never happy with this Chelsea link. A definite red herring. Thanks for putting that to bed Monsieur Poirot! Your little grey cells are much appreciated!

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Sorry for the disjointed reply here, still getting used to this site. Norway. Interesting. He put his occupation down as Sgt. Major in Tower Hamlets in the Edmonton birth Parish records in 1810, may have been military related. Another route for me to follow.
    Many thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Felmagre View Post
    I am afraid I am having no joy with respect to the Michael's demise. I also think that the information re his death in 1829 in Chelsea is in fact unrelated as it would appear the date of birth for the individual concerned - family sites- does not correspond, but I may well be in error.

I did notice, however, transcripts for a Michel Allum with regards to a Norway burial, is there any chance he may have immigrated?

Not much assistance re this aspect of your search, sorry.
    Felmagre.

Reputation beyond repute

Have you looked at Findmypast?

Sgt Michael Allum, 29th Foot, born Buckington (sic), discharged 1800.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast