Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Starting to feel at home

Not sure I can be of much more help, I' m something of a novice, but there are others out there who will help you demolish your brick walls. I see Peter Goody has suggested Find my Past, he is something of an expert,. The find my past route was to be my next fora, but sleep proved more needful.
    Happy hunting.
    Felmagre.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you Peter, thought I'd searched there. Sounds like all my school reports "tries hard, fails miserably!"
    Many thanks, I'll try again
    John

Quote Originally Posted by Peter Goodey View Post
    Have you looked at Findmypast?

Sgt Michael Allum, 29th Foot, born Buckington (sic), discharged 1800.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Very many thanks Felmagre, you have been a great help. Very much appreciated
    John
    Quote Originally Posted by Felmagre View Post
    Not sure I can be of much more help, I' m something of a novice, but there are others out there who will help you demolish your brick walls. I see Peter Goody has suggested Find my Past, he is something of an expert,. The find my past route was to be my next fora, but sleep proved more needful.
    Happy hunting.
    Felmagre.

I think we may be trying to find the same Michael ALLUM. He was my 5th great grandfather, father of James William ALLUM. On the latter's baptism record Feb 1813 All Saints Edmonton, Michael ALLUM, father soldier Tower Hamlets, mother Eleanor. I have also found baptisms for Ann (1806), Eliza (1809) and Joseph (1810), all with Michael ALLUM Tower Hamlet Militia and mother Eleanor. I haven't found anything else about him yet. Have you got any further?
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Allumj View Post
    Dead end trying to locate Sgt Michael Allum who was in the Tower Hamlets Militia around 1807 - 1810 according to birth records from Edmonton, Middlesex. May have Connection back to Warwickshire.
    Possible details born 28 Dec 1768 Bulkington. Marriage Mary Brown 17 Feb 1789. Death 4 Feb 1829. Royal Hospital Chelsea.
    Unable to find proof of any of the above above.
    Any advice greatly appreciated.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Louise, great to hear from you. I am still managing to go round in circles. Do you use Ancestry.co.uk? If so I can give you access to my tree and everything I have so far. Things seem to end in Bulkington where in fact they should be beginning!! Michael is my 4th great grandfather. My direct email is [email protected] if you wish to contact direct.
    Regards John

Yes, I'm on Ancestry. I'll email you.
    Best wishes
    Louise

Quote Originally Posted by Allumj View Post
    Hi Louise, great to hear from you. I am still managing to go round in circles. Do you use Ancestry.co.uk? If so I can give you access to my tree and everything I have so far. Things seem to end in Bulkington where in fact they should be beginning!! Michael is my 4th great grandfather. My direct email is [email protected] if you wish to contact direct.
    Regards John

Default Michael's parents

There is a marriage between Michael ALLUM and Mary BROWN in Bedworth All Saints, about 2 miles from Bulkington on 16th Apr 1759 [Marriage register All Saints 1756-1812 Film No: 555455, also FamilySearch].

Possibly Michael and Mary had the child Michael who was christened in 1768 "aged 7". The parents might well be dead by this point as he and (presumably) his two siblings, Joseph 3 and Elizabeth 5, were in the workhouse [https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61...80&cc=1462403].

https://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/warwick.html

The list includes a Michael Allum, hanged 3 April 1767. A report of his being hanged at Warwick in the "Leeds Intelligencer, 14 Apr 1767" gave his age as 36. The "Oxford Journal, 11 Apr 1767" gave his name as Allam.

Loss of breadwinner a possible reason for the "Allams/Allams on**" family being in the workhouse in 1768?

** image of the record available on Familysearch - the entry doesn't read well.
    "dyfal donc a dyr y garreg"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12