Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Brown family

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Brown family

Trying to trace my family on my dads side his father was William brown, mother was Louisa Coulson. my father was Thomas and his brothers were John and Ebenezer Brown. also dad kept saying he had a brother Marty who left home age 18 but cannot find any information on him.He also had a sister jemmima who married John black well dads brother John was married to Ellen dad Thomas was born 16/1/1920 they lived at 7 Auckland avenue Hebburn. would be glad if some one could help as I was only 3 when we left England and there is no older relatives I could find out off.

Hi Shirleyrose,

I'm unsure what information you are looking for. Do you want to trace your ancestry back through the generations?
    Alma

Marriage
    William J Brown to Louisa Coulson June 1/4 1912 Registration district Gateshead (spans the boundaries of the counties of Co. Durham and Tyne and Wear) vol 10a page 1533

I was initially looking for births in the Gateshead reg district but Ebenezer's birth was registered 1917 South shields reg district
    Jemima E 1914 South Shields
    Thomas 1920 South Shields

So assuming John's birth was registered in the same district
    John W 1912 S Shields.

Marriage
    Jemima E Brown married John J Stares June 1/4 1937 Essex south Western vol 4a page 823

There are quite a few John W Browns marrying a spouse first name Ellen but thisone in South Shields may be a good possibility

John W Brown to Ellen Knights S Shields vol 10a page 1696

I can't see the birth of a boy to a Brown, mother's maiden name Coulson that looks like it can be shortened to Marty. I wonder if he was a child of a relative that lived with them?

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

I can't see the birth of a boy to a Brown, mother's maiden name Coulson that looks like it can be shortened to Marty. I wonder if he was a child of a relative that lived with them?
    Me neither, Christina. If he's the eldest child, perhaps one or other of the parents had a previous marriage, or Marty was born before they were married.
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Brown family

Thank you for your information it has helped greatlyjohn w married Ellen knights they were my Aunty and uncle then uncle ebenezer who married Ada Henry and had seven children Thomas married sussanaha Ramsey of Whitley bay I also know uncle Robert John brown and Hannah brown I'm doing my family tree for my grandchildren so they know thank you

I'm doing my family tree for my grandchildren so they know thank you
    Thank you for the clarification. To take it further back you need to purchase the marriage cert which should give details of William and Louisa's father's; the couples ages and occupation, also occupation of their fathers'; the couples address at marriage and who witnessed the marriage.

Christina gave you all the details you need to order the marriage certificate (William J Brown to Louisa Coulson June 1/4 1912 Registration district Gateshead (spans the boundaries of the counties of Co. Durham and Tyne and Wear) vol 10a page 1533) And it can be ordered here at a cost of £9.25. https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Brown family re matty

I know I have a uncle John Robert married Hannah Ellen maybe they had a son called Matthew or Marty as he might have been called a possibility

I wonder if COLMAN on this record is a misread name for COULSON!!!!

Name: Martin L Brown
    Mother's Maiden Surname: Colman
    Date of Registration: Jan-Feb-Mar 1924
    Registration district: South Shields
    Inferred County: Durham
    Volume Number: 10a
    Page Number: 1617
    Alma

Quote Originally Posted by Shirleyrose View Post
    I know I have a uncle John Robert married Hannah Ellen maybe they had a son called Matthew or Marty as he might have been called a possibility
    Was John Robert surnamed Brown, Shirleyrose?
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Post Brown family

Yes it was Robert John brown thank you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast