Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Welcome in!

Super Moderator - Completely bonkers and will never change.

Quote Originally Posted by MatFow View Post
    Thanks Pam,

Um, just wondering whereabouts I should start posting, maybe I've misread the right spot to start, still rather new to forums.

Thanks
    I know that if I say 'it depends what you're asking' that it's not the most helpful of replies, but it is true in most cases.

First of all, what information do you have, and what do you still want to know?
    I think the majority of queries end up in the 'General Family History' forum because that covers everything in a way, but (especially if you have Irish, Scottish, or Welsh ancestors) you might be better off posting in a specific forum because your post will be seen more easily by experts in those fields.
    Even if you did post in the completely wrong forum it's not the end of the world because the mods (moderators) have fairy dust they can sprinkle and move posts.

I presume that you can see the 'extended' forum sections when viewing the home page. e.g.in the Family History Threads/Posts if you scroll down you can see 'General family history queries'?
    If so, just have a scroll down all the forum titles and see if there's one that seems more appropriate than another.
    Two posts you might find useful.
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...us-to-help-you
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/fo...at-is-a-Sticky

Pam
    who once again rambled on and spent too much time looking for things so got beaten by Christanel
    Vulcan XH558 - “Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened.”

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Lesley - I've really enjoyed researching my family for a number of years now and am nearing the end (can you ever say that!) I have a few 'dead ends' and so very hopeful someone can help! Today I was searching for a postcode for one of my ancestor's addresses when to my amazement discovered a link to someone on Brit-Gen who was researching the same address! Who knows - we may be related!

Hi Lesley,
    Thanks for the info, it makes sense when you think about it!
    I am interested in finding out about my families military history, I have tried before but have drawn a blank, most likely because I did't know much, now I think I know a little bit more, but its difficult to decipher fact from family legend. I hope this site will help me?
    Thanks again
    Ian

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hello All.
    MY name is Mark (Austin Shepton) Evans and although I live in Sydney, my roots are from Maesbury, Oswestry near the Welsh border.
    The Evans family interests me and has done for some years on and off. Ive managed to find Evans' going back to 1775 and pre-my grandfather we were all pretty much in Llanfyllin and surrounds.
    I have a cousin Elayne who joined this forum yesterday and we have a mutual interest in this family tree. It works well because she lives in Oswestry which makes it a tad more convenient for her to troll around the North Wales region looking at places, rather than me spending 24 hours on a Jumbo Jet to have a quick look.
    I like the North Wales environs because it is so old that many of the dwellings we find in the census/other records are still there. Brings a nice reality to it that you probably would not get in other regions.
    We have found that going back a few generations, we appear to have been Quakers. Since I don't believe there are any of these churches still standing, I have failed to find any graves.
    Looking forward to being part of this community.

Settling in

Hi Lesley,& thank you for the Welcome information.I am new to this site,but I have been researching family history for the last 15 years or so.I have a brick wall in the form of my paternal grandfather.I recently joined the FMP forum & was helped with some info that seemed to suggest that my grandad had two names & one Army service number! I am hoping that I may be able to get some more help with this on your forum.I live in hope :-))

Settling in

HI everyone. I was born and still live in Hull,East Yorkshire and I have been researching since around 1992, (long before this internet thing was so popular) and I have to admit to sometimes missing sitting in the library scrolling through microfilmed census returns. I don't think I would have found so many of my extended family members these days as I don't find online searches as helpful. Having said that, I couldn't find anything about my Scottish roots back then, I have managed much more research on that side recently with Ancestry and Scotland's People. My names being researched are: Scotland; Cuthbert, Reilly, Bunten (various spellings), Brawley, McFadyen, Robertson, Forbes, Harvey and Yorkshire; Jubb, Giblin, Stringer, Lamb, Wood, McMorran. Northumberland; Tulip, Unknown birthplace; Pye.
    I hope I can occasionally find some help here and also give help to others if I am able.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

G'day Lesley and all contributors to British Genealogy. Thankyou for your welcome.

My wife and I have been researching our family histories for 25 years.

I have registered here on British Genealogy, to find information that I am looking for and to offer any information that I may have to help others.

Thankyou and Best Regards

Chris Boothman

Hi,
    I'm Cheryl and live in Dorset (born and bred). I'm researching family in a few different areas; here in Weymouth, Middlesex and Selby in Yorkshire. Had a little difficulty finding one of my great-grandfather's roots but thanks to some other helpful and lovely people on the Great War Forum I finally found his illegitimate birth in Edinburgh. I'm now looking for another of my great-grandads but need a bit of help so will go and find the relevant thread to post on.

I'm a member on ancestry but often need someone else's ideas and viewpoints to find what I need!! So I'm really glad I've found this forum now, and appreciate any help that I receive.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi
    My name is Caroline Black and I have been researching my family for about 10 years now but have always become stuck looking for a Andrew Black who was my grandfather, we no little history of him. One thing I do recall was my dad talking about his dad being in the Royal Scots Greys Regiment. He we know later worked in stables and was a groom so assume this had something to do with his military time. Can anyone point me or help me with this we know he was born 1888/1889 but died at the age of 48 in 1936. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Hi I started researching my family tree when I was 13. It was really easy then as I just asked my Grandparents and a number had boxes of certificates. After doing a rough plan, forgot about then really until I had my first child and the interest was sparked again when the school asked them to research their family tree. Out came the research again but this time I decided to ask remaining relatives for pictures. I've been doing my family & my husband's for the children, but they aren't interested, but I have been fascinated and been to places, though mostly as my family were the ones that were out and about. My husband's generally stayed where they were. Even he is living in the the same house he was born in over 60 years ago! Mine have been on canal boats (we're still involved), joined the Jacobite army and moved to Scotland, been into alsorts! Looking forward to a spot of military research on my husband's side!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast