Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Welcome in!

Settling in

Hi Lesley, thank you for being here! I am a newbie to family tree searches. I am starting with my Great Grandparents and hope to find out where they originated from, Great Grandfather Ireland and Great Grandmother from Aberdare in Wales, I have their names and thats about it, I have their children's names one of which was my grandmother and so the fun begins..... I have not yet discovered how to use this site fully yet, but I am hoping that I can find the conclusion to my quest and beyond if possible!! .... It is great to see that this site is free to use too. Have a great day every day!! :-)

How can I search for family on here? I cannot see at Search Page?? Sorry if appearing vague.... but its my first day here!!
    Last edited by MrsHappy1; 24-02-2017 at 4:40 PM. Reason: Missed out a comment.

Name well known on Brit-Gen

How can I search for family on here? I cannot see at Search Page?? Sorry if appearing vague.... but its my first day here!!
    There is a search facility to the right of the Login / log out button, I have only recently found it and am not a newbie

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for the welcome my name is Gordon I am 80 yrs old and have lived in Aguilas in Southern Spain for the past 13yrs.
    Born in Nottingham in the midlands. Married 60 yrs on Thursday. Been researching on and off for a couple of years Hope to be able to progress now with help. Regards Gordon

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi Gordon
    Firstly, I'm only a couple of years behind you, just turned 78 last month; and, I've also been researching my family tree for a couple of years now too. I'm still living in Liverpool and have managed to get back to my g/g/g/grandparents, in Caithness, in the Scottish highlands. My DNA sample says that I'm 90% Scottish Celt, 5% Irish Celt, and 5% Norse: so, there's a bit of Viking in me too! :-) If I can be of any help just give me a shout.

Cheers
    Ian McKay M A
    https://Ian-McKay.com

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks Ian It's nice to meet you. Having just come on the scene, I'm still trying to workout how to send messages and ask questions . It all seems very confusing at the moment,but I'll stick to it. If you wouldn't mind couldI enter you as a friend or contact whatever it is here. Regards Gordon

Welcome to the Brit-Gen forums Gordon
    The easiest way to post queries etc is to start off on the Home page. Scroll down until you see a likely looking forum such as Brickwalls or a sub forum from the English, Scottish or Irish forums (whatever)
    Click on the chosen forum and then click on Post New Thread which is in the left upper corner under the green Forces War Records banner. Choose a title for your query (make it informative but short, type your message and then hit Submit New Thread.
    Hint - If it is going to be a rather long post it is best to type it out in a word processing program then copy and paste into the box. Saves a lot of heartache if something goes wrong
    Another hint. To see what has been posted in the last 24 hours since your last visit just use the Todays Posts which is on the LH side in the blue bar above the FWR banner.
    Above all don't get too fussed, a Mod can usually move, change and fix things.
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Starting to feel at home

Hello. I'm Leanne and I've been researching my family tree for about a year now. I was lucky enough that my grandmother had already done a lot of research on hers and my grandfather's side of the family and she has now passed everything on to me to sort through. I have now got the research bug and have started looking into my father's side of the family. He doesn't know very much about his family so I am starting from scratch - it's been very tricky so far. I'm hoping that someone on this site can give me a few pointers.
    The names I've been researching so far are Albino, Lumkin, Rayner, Robinson, Minta, Auvache, Rew and Rogers. I am hoping to find out more about the Wilson family as well to find out if one of my ancestors fought at the Battle of Waterloo as my great grandmother claimed.

It's been a long time since I've used a forum. I tried to create an account...not sure if I was successful. It asked for a password here (at British Genealogy) and wouldn't accept the one I'd set up in War Forces...coz that's how I got here. So I'm not sure if it worked out...my family history is all in Ireland, both the North and the Republic. I'm looking for post 1901 but pre-WWI info on a maternal grand uncle who was in the Royal Irish Rifles at that time. I will be posting details on the Army thread. Thanks all! Carol

Hi Carol
    Well you are certainly posting on the Brit-Gen forums. I think your password for FWR and Brit-Gen are the same.
    Read this 'sticky' which tells us a little about us and what we do.
    It also explains how to change from the FWR green military only forums to the all inclusive Brit-Gen forums.
    Welcome
    Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi I live in South Australia and have been researching my family history for about 15 years. I am interested in the way my ancestors lived not just dates and names. I hope I will be able to find some interesting things on this site.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast