Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

I wonder if this W Zamoiski is John's father?

The Examiner, 17 Nov 1855, page 8.
    The War

Embodiment of Cossacks for the British Service - The PRess d'Orient quotes the following, under date Bourgus 27th ult. The English Consul at Varna has made known to our authorities the appointment by the English Government of Count W Zamoiski as General of Division of British Cossacks, Count Zamoiski is at the same time charged with the formation of the division he is to command . The Polish deserters from the different European Armies and the emigrants of that nation are to be admitted into it. The English Government being desirous to accelerate its formation, has demanded from the Turkish Government the 20th regiment of Ottoman Cossacks, composed of Polish, Hungarian, and Italian emigrants to form the nucleus of the new corps. Sadyk Pasha is to retain the command of the Ottoman Cossacks, who, under his orders, rendered important services in the campaign on the Danube.
    Alma

John Martin Zamoyski [sic]age 28, born 1833 in Warsaw Poland, British Subject.
    His occupation is described as: Court Retired From Business Lieutenant Royal Monmouth Regiment of Militia
    Perhaps the transcription is incorrect and actually says COUNT (as per Count W. Zamoiski mentioned in the newspaper article above.
    Alma

This seems to be the Count, there's no son named John mentioned, he could be a relative of John though.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/W%C5%8...%82aw_Zamoyski
    Alma

1851, 28, Charles St,St George Hanover Square. Westminster. HO107; Piece: 1476; Folio: 360; Page: 11
    Constantine Famoyski[sic] 52, Count ??????? proprietor, Poland
    Angelique Famoyski 51, countess, Poland
    Mary Famoyski 21, countess, Poland
    Pelagy Zamoyski 20, countess, Poland

Although Constantine has been transcribed as FAMOYSKI, one of his daughter's is transcribe Zamoyski.

There's a Joseph John Zamyski [sic], 15, born Warsaw Poland he's a pupil at grammar school
    HO107; Piece: 1792; Folio: 365; Page: 6;
    He's at what appears to be a boarding school in Bury St Edmunds

Another described as a COUNT, South St, St George Hanover Square
    Ladislas Zamoyski, 23, lodger, Poland
    Alma

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Quote Originally Posted by almach View Post
    Hi jzamoiski, and welcome to the British Genealogy Forums.

Rich hasn't been back to his thread since he made his original post so he may not respond to your message. However, we can and will try to help you and to do so it would be helpful of you can answer a few questions.

I may have found John (Jacob) on the 1861 English census. The details are.............
    6, Union Street, St George, Hanover Square, London. RG 9; Piece: 46; Folio: 55; Page: 43;
    John Martin Zamoyski [sic]age 28, born 1833 in Warsaw Poland, British Subject.
    His occupation is described as: Court Retired From Business Lieutenant Royal Monmouth Regiment of Militia

How certain are you that John emigrated to USA in 1860? Is it possible it was a little later?
    Do you know if John had a middle name? I see from online trees that Joseph had the middle initial M, do you know what the M stood for?

I should mention that the John above was enumerated on the census as unmarried, it could be a mistake or perhaps he and Sarah married later than you think.

The John on the census is interesting as you mention your John was active in the Crimean War.
    Thank you for this information. My ancestor was, I believe, John Jacob Zamoiski. It is my understanding that he may have used another name in the British Army....John Grey in order to avoid bias of any type. He married Sarah in England. He may have been a Catholic in Poland and converted to Judaism when he married Sarah was Jewish. It seems that he came to the US in 1860 and his wife and son (Joseph) came several years later. In any case, when he came to the United States, he emmigrated to Baltimore Maryland and dropped "John" and became Jacob Zamoiski. He is buried as Jacob Zamoiski. Based on some articles written about the family in the 1920's, it is my understanding that he was wounded in the Crimean War and was attended by Florence Nihghtengale. He was awarded a medal as well. His son Joseph was Joseph Michael Zamoiski, my great grandfather. I don;t know if this helps, but any assistance is appreciated.

As a help it is important to understand that the process of a gentile becoming a Jew is known in Hebrew as "Giur". The London Pinkas has recorded the names of those non Jews who were proselytes. However, it was against the law for the proselytation of gentiles in England. This resulted in male individuals seeking to become a "Ger" to go overseas in order to be circumcised-usually Amsterdam where Giurim was permitted. The original Ashkenazim community records were destroyed in WW2 but the Pinkas has recorded examples of adult gentiles seeking Giur 1805-1855.
    If Jacob and Sarah married abroad then there was a ketubah (marriage document)but most of these records have either been lost, destroyed or some rare ones held by the synagogue or family members.
    Phillip-Jewish,British Ancestry

"The only true dead are those who have been forgotten"

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for this information. I have rechecked what I have about y great grandfather, Joseph M (Michael) Zamoiski. His 1927 newspaper obituary says that he was born in London in 1858. It says that he came to Baltimore in 1864...actually it says that he came to Baltimore 63 years prior at 6 years old. Therefore, there should be a birth record in London. John Jacob Zamoiski was the father and Sarah Jacobs Zamoiski was the mother and was born in London. She died in 1901 in the United States. I don't know for sure if they were both Jewish at the time of their marriage. I do know that John (or jacob) served in the British Army and did serve in the crimea and was wounded. I don;t know if that helps in tracing anything. Some notes say that he came to Baltimore in 1860 but of course it could have been 1861. By then he was known as Jacob Zamoiski. I do know that the spelling is correct. I do know that he was born in Poland but have no idea how long he lived in London. Any help in looking back is appreciated.

The UK Military Campaign Medal and Award Rolls 1793-1949 have several records for various John Grey who served in the Crimean War- these include:
    Corporal John Grey 6th Inniskilling Dragoons; John Grey in the 50th Quuens Own Regiment;50th Regiment of Foot;47th Lancashire Regiment
    John alias JOSEPH Grey 47th Lancashire Regiment;1st Battalion Rifle Brigade;5th S C Wales Dragoon Guards;71st Highland Light Infantry.

Nb There are some 8 records for different John Grey.

Alma- if there are any records you can access to identify which of the John Grey who served in the Crimean War maybe relevant to the research that would be a great help. It looks as if the London or South England John Grey regiments might be more relevant.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for this. Again, he may have gone under John Grey or he nay have gone as John or Jacob Zamoiski. In any case, your help is appreciated.

Looking on Free BMD there appear to be only 1 Zamoiski ( including phonetic searches) born between 1857-1859- FLORENCE MARIA ZAMOISKI June qtr 1857 Clifton 6a 68.

Perhaps Alma can look at the birth records she has access to for maiden name of mother.

There is no John Grey born London 1858 between the years 1857-59- I was checking for all options.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast