Thread: Robert Smith

Post Robert Smith

I have for a few years now been searching for my Great grandfather Death. His name was Robert Smith. He was born on 19 December 1873 in Stracathro, Angus . They moved to Edinburgh. The story my dad, his grandson was told that he left his wife nee Elizabeth Bell around 1936, as he went bankrupt (tailor), none of his kids saw him again and the only information I have is one of his daughters wrote in her diary Dad died 1940/1944. According to my aunt (his granddaughter) he drowned himself. I have checked Scotlands people and find no death record, his mothers name was Mary Smith - NO father. I hope somebody knows if there is anything I can do to further this deadlock.

Welcome to the British-Genealogy forums

I am not very well up on searching Scotland but other members are so hopefully someone will be along to help soon.
    If he did drown himself then there would be an inquest I think so I wonder if there would be a newspaper report. I don't know how long coroner's reports would be held and as you don't know where or when he died that would be a mammoth search.
    Have you done a basic death search on ScotlandsPeople starting with the 1940/44 period?
    I have more questions than you Let's hope someone else can be more helpful

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Thanks Christina, I've done a full search for him on Scotland's people to no avail. There's no-one left to ask bar my dad and aunt but they were only young then. I've even been in touch with all hospitals near lochs and they've looked through their archives. Very strange, going to to see if there are any newspaper archives😀