Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default hi from a newbie searching flanagan family

Hi i am trying information on my great great grandfather peter flanagan. He was born in bath somerset 1821 he came to live in boston lincs with his mother maryand was registered as a tinsmith. I would love to know his mothers maiden name and indeed his fathers name or any information at all

Growing old Disgracefully

Census 1851 - Peter (27)and Mother Mary Flanagan (48 B. Ireland) are lodgers in the household of Joseph Jackson.
    Peter says he is married but no Wife is with him, occupation Tinsmith.
    Mary is a Widow, Occupation is a Traveler Dealer in Lace etc. Born in Ireland.

Census 1861 with wife and children

Census 1871 (Ancestry Transcribed as Hanagan) still a Tinsmith with wife Margaret and 6 children

Census 1881 now a Hawker with wife and 2 sons & 1 grandson

Daughter Elizabeth 1st marriage to Thomas Humphery father James Humphery. 2nd marriage to Leonard Everrington father James Everrington.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thanks for this. I have some of this already but not elizabehs marriage. What i would really like to know is who his father is , his mother and wifes maiden name. I cant find a birth certificate for him either, intriguing stuff but i am a novice and am grateful for any help

Hallo millymog and a very warm welcome to British Genealogy. As this has turned into a research thread, I have moved it from Introduce Yourself to the Lincolnshire Forum, where it might attract more notice.
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Growing old Disgracefully

I think there could be a Irish connection here as Mary Flanagan says she was born in Ireland on the Census.

I can not find any Birth registrations for any of the 7 children on FreeBMD for Lincolnshire.
    Mary Ann abt 1850 Brig
    Margaret abt 1853 Boston
    Elizabeth abt 1860 "
    Celia abt 1856 "
    Rose abt 1863 "
    James abt 1867 "
    John abt 1870 "

I can not find a marriage for Peter and Margaret either in Lincolnshire or Yorkshire. (Margaret born abt 1825 Hull, Yorkshire.

I have found a census 1901 of a John Flanagan in Hull born abt 1868 Boston Lincolnshire with a wife Ann born abt 1869 Ireland.

There is a grandson Ambrose born abt 1881 with Grandparents Peter and Margaret on Census 1881, with grandmother Margaret on 1891 census. He appears on 1901 Census with aunt Celia Harris (No Husband) in Bow Or Stratford-Le-Bow, London, Middlesex, England.

I also found a death for Ambrose Flanagan Death Date 25 May 1920 Burial 1920 Boston, Boston Borough, Lincolnshire, England, Birth Date 12 Dec 1880.

There is a marriage parish register image on ancestry 7 April 1878 for Cecilia Flanagan (she signs) father Peter, a mechanic. Spouse Moss Harris. both single, married in the established church of St Paul Huddersfield by banns. Witnesses May Maud Salter(?) and W Stevens.

I can see the marriage on FreeBMD but not a birth reg for either a Celia or Cecilia.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

1841 census has a Peter Flanagan soldier age 20 born Ireland at Colewort Barracks Portsmouth. The ages have been marked down to the nearest 5 as was supposed to happen in the 1841census so this Peter could be anywhere between 21 and 24.
    HO107 piece 412 book 8 folio 4 page 5

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you for this, some bits i had and some you have added to so thank you so much

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I found ambrose grave in the boston cemetary, he remains a mystery as to who his parents were. I think that maybe he went to canada with the lodger who was living at ceilia harris house in london. (looking at the census and jumping to conclusions). Celia harris is another one i will have to look into. This is certainly a full time hobby.
    if only i could find the marriage certificate for peter and margaret or peters mother and fathers it would be a huge leap. Thank you all for your help

More information on Peter Flanagan has just been posted on another thread at
    https://www.british-genealogy.com/th...d=1#post621337
    Sue Mackay
    Insanity is hereditary - you get it from your kids

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast