Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Soady Family in East Looe/West Looe

I've come into possession of some WWI and WWII items that do not belong to my family. I am trying to locate descendants of Thomas F. Soady (born 1 Feb 1885, East Looe, Cornwall; died 2 Dec 1930, Cleveland, Cayuhoga, Ohio, USA); married to Elsie Thomas (born about 1892, Grimsby, Lincolnshire; died ?). They had a son William Allen (or Allan) Soady (born 9 July 1920, St. Blazey, Cornwall; died 14 Nov 1997, Nantucket, Nantucket, Massachusetts, USA; never married that I can find. I want to return these items to the family they rightfully belong to.

Information that I have with regard to the family: They came to the US in 1923 and resided in Cleveland. They traveled with whom I believe to be Elsie's parents (William Thomas and Annie last name unknown) and Elsie's brother (Horace). The relative in Cleveland they were to meet was named Charles Thomas, a brother of Elsie. Thomas F. Soady died in 1930 as a result of pneumonia, I believe Elsie remarried but am not certain. William became a US citizen and fought for the United States during WWII.

Parents of Thomas F. Soady were: Thomas Soady (born about Sept 1860, West Looe, Cornwall; died, unknown in Looe); married 1879, Plymouth Registration District to Harriet Pengelly (born about 1855, East Looe, Cornwall; died, unknown Looe). I've been able to locate information about children of this marriage but not much else.

I have no further information about Elsie's parents at this time.

Any help that can be provided would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, Melynda Brenton

Just some background for others wishing to help

Marriages June 1/4 1918 Thomas Soady to Elsie Thomas Grimsby registration district vol7a page 1439

1901 RG13; Piece 3094 Folio 185 Page 18
    Grimsby Lincolnshire
    William Thomas 36
    Annie Thomas 35
    Elsie Thomas 8
    Lilian Thomas 5
    William Thomas 3
    Cleethorpes Grimsby
    William Thomas 46
    Annie Thomas 44
    Elsie Thomas 18
    William Thomas 13
    Horace Thomas 9

1940 US census
    Kenilworth Road Cuyahoga Cleveland Heights
    Howard D Elliott 60
    Maliln Bagmann 38
    Elsie Soady 47 Widow, Alien, Housekeeper born England.

Two possible marriages
    1948/49
    Cuyahoga Cleveland Ohio
    Elsie Soady 357/554

1949/50 Cuyahoga Cleveland Ohio
    Elsie Soady 379 317

There is a tree on ancestry which has a first marriage for Thomas in 1904 to Catherine Elizabeth Jacobs. She died in 1917 Liskeard registration district.

They are together in the 1911 census with a daughter Eileen Joan Soady age 4.
    They have a shipping record of her returning to England in 1927 age 20 occupation machinist.

It appears that Eileen Joan Soady married a Benjamin W P Quinton in 1948 Bournmouth registration district (On FreeBMD)

I can't see any children to this couple so if you are wishing to return the items you have to the Soady branch it will not be to a direct descendant of Thomas but to one of his siblings descendants or to descendants of Elsie Thomas' siblings.

Christina
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Thank you so very much for the information! I will look into it and see what else I can find. I really want to return these items I have.

East Looe
    Thomas Soady 30
    Harriet Soady 35
    Maude Soady 11
    Emily A Soady 8
    Thomas Soady 6
    Rhoda Soady 4
    Lenora Soady 1

It is Thomas, Harriet, Thomas age 16, Nora (Lenora) and George born c 1892.

Thomas, Harriet, George and James age 17 born c 1894.

So plenty of siblings for Thomas born 1885.

George born c1892 married Alice Maud Tremlett in 1913. Two children William G 1914 and Edith 1916.

James born c1894 married 1917 to Sylvia Puckey 1895- 1971. Four children to this couple. Mary 1924 - 2014
    The other names are private as they could still be living - two girls 1918 and 1922 and one boy 1935. If you enter the surname Soady and mother's maiden name Puckey on FreeBMD they will show up.

Lenora Soady married Francis R Toms in 1913. Two sons 1917 and 1923.

Maud born c1880 married 1906 to Frederick Prideaux. A daughter Eileen M Prideaux 1912-1988 She may have had a 1st marriage to Edwin Rowett Dann in 1900 and he died 1902
    Sometimes paranoia is just having all the facts.
    William Burroughs

kenripper

Hi Hockeychick. I've sent you a personal message with information which you may find useful.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Thank you!!

Thank you for the link! If I am unable to locate family who would like these things I have maybe I can donate them to the museum! Your help is greatly appreciated!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CornwallPhil View Post
    The Looe Museum may be able to help.https://www.eastlooetowntrust.co.uk/looe-museum.php

Yes if you can't track the family down you may be able to "loan" them to the museum on the understanding that if the family do eventually emerge they are passed on to them. It would be good either way to have them back in the county of their origin. I wish you well in your quest.
    You don't know whether Williams WW2 service saw him back in Cornwall. We had large numbers of troops, rangers and naval personnel based here prior to D-Day. It would be a nice touch to the story if he came back during his military service.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I've requested William's service records from our National Archives in St. Louis, Missouri. There was a huge fire in the repository that destoyed over 80% of the records, most of them US Army. That was the branch William served for. I have several of his service bars as well as a Bronze Star medal with supporting original letter that it was awarded to William. Also several patches that I believe he had on his uniform. I need to confirm these facts to his service records. As far as I can tell he never made it back to Cornwall. I've requested several items in hope that I could locate any family here in the US but have come up blank. My cousin in New Zealand was able to locate an engagement announcement from a newspaper in Cleveland but I haven't found information about a marrage. A confusing thing I have found is on his death certificate. He was listed as never having been married. The informant information on the death certificate is listed as William H. Campbell, living at the same address as William Soady, and his relationship is listed as "Power of Attorney". A picture of William Soady's headstone also has William Campbell on it with the inscription "Love is Eternal Rejoice With Us". I've found that a very sizable contribution to a LGBT Art Museum in New York was made in both men's names upon their death. I've tried to contact them with no success. Other information from the death certificate lists William Soady as having died from complications of Alzheimer's Disease. When he was able to work his usual occupation was as "Executive" for IBM. I've not been able to locate any information about this either. I have lots of information but lots of roadblocks along the way with them.

If I can find no family to return these items to I will surely donate them to the museum in Looe, with the stipulation that if family requests them back that they be returned. I am hoping that the name and address I received earlier will assist me with my direction.

Thank you so very, very much for your assistance. I appreciate it so very much!
    Melynda

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default Soady WWI & WWII

hockeychick

I am from the Soady line from East Looe, Cornwall, England, but I do not have this person listed.

What I would say to you is if you don't find his family, send what you have to:

U.S. Army Heritage and Education Center
    www.carlisle.army.mil
    https://www.carlisle.army.mil/ahec/exhibits/default.cfm
    950 Soldiers Dr,
    Carlisle, PA 17013-5021
    (717) 245-3972

I was just there November 2015, a friend which was is the military with my husband runs operations there. The work they do there telling the Soldier's story & history is wonderful. You can do genealogy, hear our soldiers stories & walking through our military history.

Kathleen
    kathleenDOTthreeATgmailDOTcom
    Last edited by christanel; 24-01-2016 at 12:14 AM. Reason: email address disguised to deter spam

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast