Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    wolfspiritwoman

Thomas is my 2nd cousin 3x removed. I live in Canada

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Default This is MY family!!!

I found this thread by accident. These are my family. William (Bill) was my cousin.

Bill's father, Thomas, was a brother of my grandfather, James Soady, who was married to Sylvia Puckey. The story told in this thread is a little different than the story I was told and remember. Thomas was married in England and had two daughters, Joan and Thelma. (There was a big difference in age between the two girls and I now suspect that Thelma would have been Joan's daughter). Thomas's wife died in England and Thomas ran away to USA to seek his fortune. Joan lived in Bournemouth until her death. Thelma was brought up in Looe by James and Sylvia with their own family of 4 children (one of whom was my mother) and later moved to Bournemouth where she lived with Joan. After Joan's death, Thelma married and continued to live in Bournemouth until she and her husband later returned to Looe.

Thomas never returned to England and died in America. Bill was his son, supposedly born in America to an American mother. None of the Soady family knew of his existence until Bill made contact after the death of his own mother in America in about 1959. It is likely that Bill did not know about Joan, his step sister who had died by then, or about Thelma, his step sister/niece. He made contact with my mother's sister and came to Looe a few times in the 1960's (at which time he was living in Paris).

After Bill returned to USA, my husband visited him a few times at the home he shared in New York with his companion, Bill Campbell and Bill Soady maintained contact with my mother's sister and with me and my husband until his illness. My last contact was with Bill Campbell telling me of Bill Soady's death. My mother's sister died in about 2002 and neither she, nor Bill or Thelma (who is also dead) left any descendents.

It is interesting how your story varies from that known to my family. Bill was definitely the son of Thomas Soady and the family in Looe always believed he had married an American woman in USA who came from a wealthy family! I am so pleased that I found this thread. thank you for the insight.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

I found this thread by accident when researching something different. There were two William Soady's, who seem to have been confused. The wife of Thomas Soady died leaving him with a daughter, Eileen Joan. Thomas moved to Grimsby, where he met and married Elsie Thomas. They had a son, William Allen Soady, who was born in Grimsby. Thomas, Elsie and William moved to USA (1923?), where their entry is recorded in the Ellis Island records and their names are on the commemorative wall. The other William A Soady was born in St Blazey, Cornwall to a different Soady family entirely.

Looe was a small fishing port on the south coast of Cornwall. It is likely that Thomas could not find work in the conditions that prevailed after WW1 so moved to Grimsby, a large fishing port on the coast of eastern England, where he met and married Elsie Thomas.

The other William A Soady was born in St Blazey Cornwall, which was a small village on the periphery of both the Cornish China Clay industry and the Cornish Tin Mining industry. It seems the Soady family into which this William A Soady was born is the Soady family with the connection to New Zealand.

There are two different William Soady's and it looks like they have become mixed up in some family trees.

I knew William Allen Soady (a nephew of my grandfather) in late 1950's and through 1960's, when he lived and worked in Paris and maintained contact with him until he became ill and subsequently died in 1997. Bill, as he was known, came to Looe in 1958 or 1959, and during the 1960's before returning to USA. He came once or twice more on holiday from his home in USA.

I believe that he did not come to England during his army service and did not in fact make contact with his English family until after his mother died in USA.

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hallo- I found your name by accident as I am not really interested in genealogy, and now I see you started a different thread about a Soady family in Looe Cornwall.

I am just messaging because I think you are mistaken in believing that Thomas Soady, father of William Allen Soady, is your distant cousin. My grandfather, James, was Thomas's brother and not a part of the Soady family you have mentioned on the other thread.

As I said, I am not really interested in genealogy but over the last two days I have been looking into the Soady's a little because I knew the William Allen Soady, who the lady who started the thread was looking for and I am sure there were two different, probably unconnected, Soady families in Looe.

wolfspiritwoman

All the Soadys are related Wickery, I have gone back as far as 1423 and have found connections no one thought were there. It is quite fascinating. The original poster does not seem to be here anymore as I have been trying to get hold of them for two years.

wolfspiritwoman

I have been trying to reach you since Dec 2016

Newcomer to Brit-Gen

Hi my name is Joe and i was thinking @ friends of mine who have passed away and in looking some things online i came to this site and thread and since i knew Bill Soady i'll tell my story and if it's of any interest you can read on...well i met Bill soady in Nantucket,ma @1993/94 i can say i knew him but really didn't as he had altzheimers . I was working in mental health and part time as a nurses aid so i worked for Bill Campbell his partner...well Bill and I became great friends and over time we knew each other very well...everything i knew about their lives was told to me by Bill Campbell as bill soady was not verbal at that point (the reason im explaining this as there seems to be some interest on the site from various sources so i'll ramble on...) well they were a loving couple and i think they met in nyc
    After the war or in the early 50's...if my memory is correct Soady was a secretary for general ridgeway and campbell was in the airborne div. Well Campbell was a corp. attn. for ibm and i think he got Soady a job there...i know he was able to get soady positioned with him in Paris for some time as bill told me they maintained separate addresses because at the time it couldn't be known that the were a gay couple...they travelled extensively in Europe and loved Greece but also went to England as soady had family in Cornwall...well they lived in the village in nyc on Bank street in converted brownstone with 5 or 6 apartments which they rented out and lived on the top floor...Campbell told me he went out on limb and bought 3 properties on Nantucket...gerrymanderd them and sold off the other two and for many years summered on the island when they could...campbell was measured and thorough due to his law background and he always said Soady was the creative spirit of the two nevertheless they had a great life together...campbell had to have power of attn. over soady when he became ill as it was the only way he could care for his partner in those days..i think they became domestic partners in Nantucket before soady died...as there was not gay marriage then...well soady died in '97 and campbell died of pancreatic cancer in '99...their ashes are interred in an old cemetary in Nantucket...there is a stone (another story,funny) but no room for a burial...after campbell's death he did make a contribution to then the gay and lesbian center in nyc for a gallery for some of their artwork thus the campbell/soady gallery...i wonder if man carrying man is still hanging there...campbell also made generous donations to other organizations and friends...stuff went everywhere...i think i still have some photos of soady in the war somewhere but what brought me here in the first place is i had a bronze star of soady's with a letter and some other military stuff that travel with me to San Diego and later palm springs,ca...well when i was cleaning out my condo and moving from palm springs i gave them to a friend who helped me as he liked military stuff and my guess is he sold, traded or maybe died himself as we both moved and he was going to Arizona in 2004...well i guess hockeychick came across these somehow...who knows...by then i had so many things going on i just wanted someone who appreciated them to have them...bill never talked much @ the war..i don't know...my uncle who was a very young Italian immigrant from a coal town in Pennsylvania was honored for his efforts at the battle of the Bulge didn't talk @ it at all...well the only thing that was kind of ironic was a while back i came across an old trunk that belonged to General Ridgeway (he spent his final years living nearby in Pittsburgh) and bought it for my friend who is a ww2 buff and had his wife give it to him for Christmas and totally forgot about the Soady connection... well i would like to know what was in the letter with Bill's bronze star so if any one knows that would be great....bill and bill are memories now but ones i'll always cherish...thank you

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12